Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Perhaps not as valid a comparison outside of North America, however in Canada and the USA the LExus and the Benz are poised for a potent punch up to determine the king of the small crossover sales ring...

Mercedes GLA:

$33,300

Engine:

2.0L 4 Cylinder Turbo
208 HP
258 lb-ft

Transmission:

7-speed DCT dual-clutch automatic

Fuel economy:

33.1 mpg (European)

Dimensions:

Wheelbase - 106.3 in
Length - 173.9 in
Width - 79.6 in
Height - 60 in.

Standard Features:

Power Liftgate
18 inch wheels
Chrome roof rails
5.8" color display
Bluetooth
Electric park brake
Collision Prevention Assist
Attention Assist

Lexus NX:

$30-35,000 (estimated)

Engines:

2.0L 4 cylinder Turbo
235 hp
258 lb-ft

2.5-liter 4 Cylinder Hybrid
154 hp
152 lb-ft

194-hp combined
141-hp/199 lb-ft front-drive electric motor motor
67-hp rear-drive motor (AWD only)

Transmission:

6-speed automatic (Turbo)
Continuously Variable (CVT) Automatic. (Hybrid)

Fuel Economy:

21 city/35 hwy (Turbo)
28 city/31 hwy (Hybrid)

Dimensions:

Wheelbase - 104.7 in
Length - 182.3 in
Width - 73.6 in
Height - 64.8 in

Standard Features:

Rear power seats
touch pad interface
LED fog lamps
HUD
Dynamic Cruise Control
Lane Departure Alert
blind Spot Monitor
Panoramic View Monitor
Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Considering the Mercedes ML and Lexus RX have been combative since nearly day one of the luxury SUV segment this will be quite the enticing battle to watch. However GLA certainly has the advantage in the styling department. The polarizing face of the NX is going to turn many people off in my honest opinion...

·
Registered
295 Posts
great comparison and facts on the two of them.
I have a feeling the MB might get better volume for the fact it is an MB and you know how much people love having that MB badge :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree that the MB will sell more. I think it is also because the Lexus NX has a bit more bold styling than the Benz. That styling will get them some customers, but it will also make some turn away.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Tough to say what lexus has done will affect the brand and it's sales but one thing we all can agree on is that MB design is much more easier to accept.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In Europe the spec is more in favour of the GLA as it's got a higher top speed, more economic (depending on engine), more aerodynamic (higher speed), better 4x4 performance, plus lighter... so Lexus have their work cut out if trying to compete on figures alone... the new NX is also being targeted at a younger age group away from the classic Lexus owner, so it's styling is much sharper than usual models which means you either love it or hate it... unlike the GLA which is very muscular in comparison...

·
Registered
295 Posts
In Europe the spec is more in favour of the GLA as it's got a higher top speed, more economic (depending on engine), more aerodynamic (higher speed), better 4x4 performance, plus lighter... so Lexus have their work cut out if trying to compete on figures alone... the new NX is also being targeted at a younger age group away from the classic Lexus owner, so it's styling is much sharper than usual models which means you either love it or hate it... unlike the GLA which is very muscular in comparison...
Good to know that, so far it seems like lexus has set up the NX right.
I may not like it's styling that much but every thing else about it seems to be right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My eye is on Volvo, they're launching the new concept XC90, which is going to set the tone for future SUV design for the brand... it looks very similar to the GLA for strong features... maybe the GLA has set the 'house style' for it's segment and now others will follow?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would say that the GLA probably doesn't appeal to young people as much as the NX does.

As far as Volvo goes, I think they are due for a resurgence. They have got great design and are doing the middle-luxury thing really well. I love their taillight deisgn.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another thing to factor in is that for young people the NX probably seems to be easier on their wallets than the MB.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just think the GLA is perfect, styling-wise. You'd think the smaller HP would make a difference, but I find that my GLA250 has plenty of power and the torque plants me in my seat under hard acceleration. Compared to the X1 and the Audi (and the NX) it has less HP, but I think it's enough for what's needed.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Google 'Volvo V40 Cross Country.' Only other CUV I found as attractive as the GLA... However, we cannot get it in the USA.

I'll repeat myself on the bizarre 'origami & Voltron-inspired' Lexus NX.... I will admit though, I am heavily biased toward Lexus. I've owned 2, (SC430 vert and LS460) and will never own own again. They look so good 'on paper,' but driving them (for me) is sooooo boring. Lexus seems to have everything covered except the driving dynamics and attractive design. Functional like a Honda? Indeed.

Have any of you hard cornered in the GLA250? Even stock, it is pretty darn impressive for how well it handles at it's ride-height! DCT transmission is quick and rev-matched downshifts are fantastic. (there delay sometimes, but I think Mercedes will issue an update soon)

Just my bloated opinion ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drove both. The NX is definitely bigger/roomier, but the body roll is atrocious. It also felt slower than the specs would lead you to believe. Felt it'd be perfect for my 61 year old mother tho!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Google 'Volvo V40 Cross Country.' Only other CUV I found as attractive as the GLA... However, we cannot get it in the USA.

I'll repeat myself on the bizarre 'origami & Voltron-inspired' Lexus NX.... I will admit though, I am heavily biased toward Lexus. I've owned 2, (SC430 vert and LS460) and will never own own again. They look so good 'on paper,' but driving them (for me) is sooooo boring. Lexus seems to have everything covered except the driving dynamics and attractive design. Functional like a Honda? Indeed.

Have any of you hard cornered in the GLA250? Even stock, it is pretty darn impressive for how well it handles at it's ride-height! DCT transmission is quick and rev-matched downshifts are fantastic. (there delay sometimes, but I think Mercedes will issue an update soon)

Just my bloated opinion ;)
I'm sure I have hard cornered my GLA, but I can't recall how impressive it was. I just took it over the southern Green Mountains in Vermont, but the roads were snow covered so I didn't push it. I can't wait until all this snow is gone so I can aggressively do some twisties.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm sure I have hard cornered my GLA, but I can't recall how impressive it was. I just took it over the southern Green Mountains in Vermont, but the roads were snow covered so I didn't push it. I can't wait until all this snow is gone so I can aggressively do some twisties.
how was it with tackling snow?
i know driving through packed snow that makes for rough roads can be a good test for some vehicles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't mind the NX styling though. I think it looks better outside NA. In NA they had to change the way the front looks slightly and it messes with the look of the vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Follow-up to Xtheunknown's message re HP and quoting the stats:

NX has 235 HP and 0-60 secs at 6.9
GLA has 208 HP and same at 6.9

Ergo, as per my basic math, GLA is more efficient/stronger because with a smaller HP output it runs as fast as the NX without including the weight, length, etc of each vehicle.

The other day (on the highway), my previous Q5 (3.2 L/V6) had a hard time catching up with me on take off. Either my nephew (who was driving the Q5) didn't know I was going to race him or it's just that the GLA is really torquier and faster from the starting line...even if the Q5 claimed 6.6 secs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just traded my 2015 NX200t for a 2016 MB GLA250. I really liked my Lexus because it gave me absolutely no problems when I owned it and was reliable as ever. I just did the routine maintenance on it for 60K and was kind of sad to see it go. I am now the proud owner of a brand new 2016 GLA250 from dealer stock that never sold. I got the advantage of getting a brand new car with a discount of $9,000 off MSRP along with full factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts