Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is always the risk of the dealership claiming that an aftermarket mod will void your warranty. I believe that the mod has to be directly related to the installation. I don't see how adding a hitch would affect the powertrain or the electrical system but I suppose anything is possible. This issue keeps coming up. I think it is time to start a thread as to how many users have actually run across this problem. Could be an urban myth. I agree with Ammoduc completely. Add what you want and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the Support. I've been to Uhaul to rent a car dolly to tow a Toyota Tercel. UHaul looks up in the computer system asks me a few questions and a few hours later I'm towing the Toyota Tercel back home. If users want to wait until their warranty expires before installing one I completely understand but If that worry is not an issue then feel free to install it and enjoy your ride. I get looks from people and I feel the look is meant to tell me "I didn't think Mercedes where make for towing" The specs on the gla250 for towing are clear and they are very strong for towing so aside from the warranty thing I see no reason for anyone not to do the mod. I live in Orage County SoCal and if anyone lives close to me wants to do the mod just let me know Ill meet you somewhere close and you can see how I did mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just had a Draw Tite Max-Frame Hitch installed by a local trailer/hitch dealership in VT. They did need to trim the heat shield. Since I am not sure what it is shielding in the area to be trimmed I don't know if that will become an issue. I am looking forward to bringing home hay bales and lumber with my 6 X 10 utility trailer. I did not have the technical skills to do it myself. The only minor concern I have is that the connector is in the trunk and has to be run out the back of the rear hatch to be used. Installer felt that it would be less exposure to the elements which makes sense. The hatch seems to close without a problem so it will remain to be seen if there is any damage to the wiring harness over time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The heat shied he spoke of is a thin metallic shield that keeps the heat from the exhaust system away from the trunk. I bent mine in place but did not cut out the small peace needed. It causes me no problem and I can always trim it if Id like. My suggestion is to go my route with the wiring harness. I'm in Cali so Snow won't be a problem but I also don't see how it can be a problem since the wiring harness has a rubber cover/cap. I would love to see some towing pictures and also expect it to pull straight and strong:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pictures will be posted today!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I realize this is an old post but looking into towing some more myself.

Ammoduc lots of great towing pics, curious what is the highest weight you feel you have towed on your GLA?

I have an 1800 lb boat I'm looking to tow around to other bodies of water. Just looking for some insight from experienced towers on the GLA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it necesarry to run the BRAKE and TAIL from the 3rd brake light like @Ammoduc did?
why can’t you tap into the right or left tail instead for shorter run?

·
Registered
21 Posts
To answer my own question. The BRAKE light is tapped into the 3RD STOP on the hatch and the TAIL light should be tapped into the left (or right) tail also on the hatch itself.

Still don't understand why @Ammonduc spliced the brown ground wire from the 3RD STOP plug though

21 - 29 of 29 Posts