Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, first time posting on this forum. Just picked up my 16 Gla 4matic a month ago or so and I'm already doing mods to it. So far I have the peal commander and the Curt Hitch now I just finished installing the Curt Wiring Harness and I will be posting some pictures of how I did it. I am sure there are several different ways of doing this but I did it my way and I'm sure it's not the best but I does work and it looks clean. I will be adding some pics shortly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok here we go gang. First I purchased the following parts from amazon:

Wiring Harness:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AT4RHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hitch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SA6H92S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I began by removing the rear floor panel as well as the rear plastic molding. I also removed both tail lights. I used the Negative point seen on the picture and the positive from the rear 12V outlet on the rear of the cargo bay. I ran all lights to there respective lights as seen on the pictures and ran the harness under the car as seen by the pictures. Feel free to ask me any questions about this project as well as constructive criticism.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pic 1:
This shows the left side of the rear light removed. This will be your LEFT turn connector.

Pic 2:
On this picture you can see where I connected the NEGATIVE ground.

Pic 3:
This will be the TAIL light connector and you will need to remove the plastic panel on the door itself.

Pic 4:
This will be your BRAKE light connection on the rear door itself where the 3rd Brake light is positioned.

Pic 5:
This is how I was able to run both TAIL and BRAKE wires. I used a wire to run the cables and ran then along the moldings.

Pic 6:
This is how the cables to the Brake light look like after I cleaned up the wiring.

Pic 7:
Running cable along the side.

Pic 8:
LEFT TURN SIGNAL Connection.

Pic 9:
Both wiring connector and green cable for the RIGHT turn signal.

Pic 10:
I used the plug from the rear and made a slit and pulled the Hitch wiring connector thru this plug and outside the vehicle so whenever I need it its outside the car but Im going to but a mounting harness so I can look better.

Pic 11:
Same as 10

Pic 12:
How it looks cleaned up.

Pic 13
You can see the NEGATIVE and the POSITIVE connectors I made.

I believe I missed the picture to the RIGHT turn Light but I will take a picture of it and post it a little later.

Here is the RIGHT light connection.

Have Fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am about to install the CURT hitch and wiring kit on my 2017 GLA250 and have been trying to decide which wiring kit to use.

There are two CURT kits available that supposedly work with the GLA. #59236 is a lot higher priced than the #56146 you used. Difference in them is not obvious.
I only need a 4-way flat connector and do not need a brake controller. My Aluma trailer does have LED lights.

Have you found the Curt #56146 to be adequate and with no electrical problems or codes?

Thanks for your help, and the great install pictures...

Jack

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had no issues or codes since installation. The lights on the boat are old bulb style so I can't tell you if the LEDs would trigger any codes. I know the LEDs suck up less power so If the old bulbs work then the LEDs should also work. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am about to install the CURT hitch and wiring kit on my 2017 GLA250 and have been trying to decide which wiring kit to use.

There are two CURT kits available that supposedly work with the GLA. [URL=http://www.glaowners.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=59236]#59236 [/URL] is a lot higher priced than the [URL=http://www.glaowners.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=56146]#56146 [/URL] you used. Difference in them is not obvious.
I only need a 4-way flat connector and do not need a brake controller. My Aluma trailer does have LED lights.

Have you found the Curt [URL=http://www.glaowners.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=56146]#56146 [/URL] to be adequate and with no electrical problems or codes?

Thanks for your help, and the great install pictures...

Jack
Here is what I learned about the different hitch wiring kits: #56146 is a basic kit and a separate wiring kit #55152 may be required with it as well.
#59236 is a heavy duty converter that has some built-in fault protections plus it includes the 55152 wiring kit. Installation for the two kits is almost identical.

When I talked to Curt customer service they recommended the 59236 pkg as being the preferable solution for my 2017 GLA.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't use:
wiring kit #55152 may be required with it as well

Mine works well without that wiring kit, to each his own.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did a lil towing today with the GLA and it sure didn't disappoint. I like the flexibility and the size that allows me to zip right thu and I barely feel it towing. Good car for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Curt may involve water leak issue for GLA, some users reported that it will causing rust on the frame soon or later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe I know where it may develop from. On the other side of the square receiver is OPEN allowing water or debris to accumulate. What I did was to cover the hole to prevent water from depositing in there. Good point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello everybody, first time posting on this forum. Just picked up my 16 Gla 4matic a month ago or so and I'm already doing mods to it. So far I have the peal commander and the Curt Hitch now I just finished installing the Curt Wiring Harness and I will be posting some pictures of how I did it. I am sure there are several different ways of doing this but I did it my way and I'm sure it's not the best but I does work and it looks clean. I will be adding some pics shortly.
Wont this completely void any power train and or electrical warranty? I was told that simply adding a command start will void my electrical warranty because it's not approved by Mercedes. Sounds like a risky venture especially since the GLA isn't rated for any tow capacity (in Canada anyway)

As a side note, your job looks great!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, I have a pedal commander and a hitch wiring and a dash cam and a radar detector and a pulsing 3rd brake light on the hitch when not being used. If any of these items voids my electrical wiring so be it. I want to use my car as I please not how mb wants me to enjoy it..unless if they are making the monthly payment :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts