Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I currently have a Mercedes’ gla 2016 it has about 65K miles on it and I’m about a year and some change into a 5 year financing agreeement. I’m moving to south florida (miami) from Chicago and I’ve been debating on getting the car shipped for about $950 or just taking the drive myself to bring my belongings. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I’m a bit cautious as I’ve put on a bit of miles since purchasing, the car has no issues but I know the mileage is getting high compared to my financing agreement. I was wondering for my situation if you guys would drive 1400 miles or get the car shipped. Really debating drive time + gas compared to shipping with no worries and I have a flight credit one way with AAL Thanks in advance. Also gas is a bit high but it would make it easy to transport my belongings since I’m single with not much stuff!

·
Registered
612 Posts
If the car has no issues, I would not consider reliability an issue here.

If anything, when you stuff the car full of stuff, make sure to batten down the hatches so you can have FUN on your drive from Chicago to FL!

But the other concerns you bring up are very real and worth evaluating. But they'd be the standard concerns you would have with any car (gas, time, what is in your finance agreement, etc).

But if you don't have a lemon, reliability of dumping 1500 miles on the car in a couple days should be NBD.

-----------------------

What's the cost of shipping the stuff you'd cram into the GLA? Car shippers don't let you stuff the car right? Another cost to consider.

I'd be making a spreadsheet

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
" I know the mileage is getting high compared to my financing agreement." Is it a lease or something that limits the miles? Again, the reliability of the GLA you said is problem-free. If maintenance has been done as suggested, I would not worry about making a 1400-mile trip.

Now the cost is something to think about. For $950 shipped to FL, fly. *no charge) , and the cost to ship goods to FL equals a total cost of? Compared to 1400 miles at 30 mpg, around 46 gallons of gas at $5.50 is $253, plus an overnight stay $200, and no shipping goods gives you a cost of $450. Travel time is one day vs. two days. The shipped car will take several days and possibly a week. So you will be out of a car for several days.

You just need to decide what is the cost and time that you feel good about.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The tail of the Dragon (because you should) but more importantly explore the roads nearby.
The tail of the Dragon had done it twice, and the wife said not again. So it is 318 curves in 11 miles across the amount ins.
North Carolina does not allow tractor-trailer trucks as the curves are too sharp turns.

If you have the time, as Wayne suggests, take the time and enjoy the trip. The wife and I now take the old roads and do not use the interstates, which are a little slower but more fun.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
164 Posts
What are you secretly hoping we will tell you to do? No, don't think about it, what was the first thing that came to mind when you read the question? Go with that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts