Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz will be the first auto company to come out with Car-to-X technology. This technology allows your vehicle to communicate with other vehicles or infrastructure, like traffic lights, and warning signs at the beginning of road work.

The benefits of this technology seem to be extensive. Car-to-X can see accidents before you, alert you of the end of a traffic jam, or alert you of an approaching emergency vehicle. It can also take this information and use it to plan a better route on your navigation system.

The technology should work better the more cars that use it, so the hope is that other car companies will work together to roll out this technology to as many vehicles as possible.

While I have seen or read many things about the approaching self-driving car, I see this Car-to-X technology as a more plausible reality. This technology would have to be at least a stepping stone to the eventual self-driving car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recently saw a Nissan car that actually drives itself (on a closed course, of course.) While self-driving cars are an amazing idea, and obviously the way of the future, it will be sad to not have the joy of driving anymore. Even once self-driving cars come out, it will be a long time before people will want to give up driving. It will probably take an entire generation to have self-driving cars be the norm once all of the technology is developed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is great technology, it would be great if it can go mainstream and actually work like how we're seeing it work in the video, it reality that would take another decade before it makes a series impact IMO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's going to be some time before any of us see these being implemented.

SO far we have similar tech.

We have active cruise control that follows the car in front.
Lane keep tech that keeps you in the lane if you sway out of the lane.

Those are sort of self driving but still need you to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's going to be some time before any of us see these being implemented.

SO far we have similar tech.

We have active cruise control that follows the car in front.
Lane keep tech that keeps you in the lane if you sway out of the lane.

Those are sort of self driving but still need you to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel.
Yeah at least we get the entry-level versions of the self driving tech now, I feel that in a way they are doing this as beta testing just to see how well it works and how well people adapt to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is great technology, it would be great if it can go mainstream and actually work like how we're seeing it work in the video, it reality that would take another decade before it makes a series impact IMO.
It's a great idea to minimize problems on the road but yes it will take some time as we go on for the manufacturers to work out the kinks to make it seamless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Doesn't the new S-Class drive itself to a degree with the right options? Specifically, I read that it can drive itself, but only for a short duration of time. I'm not sure about my source though, so don't quote me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw on the news here in Canada that the federal government has told the provinces to prepare for driverless vehicles as soon as 4 years from now. That is really soon. This technology is picking up faster than you think, but it will still take a while after it is first introduced for it to catch on (if it does.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doesn't the new S-Class drive itself to a degree with the right options? Specifically, I read that it can drive itself, but only for a short duration of time. I'm not sure about my source though, so don't quote me.
there is intelligent cruise control that keeps the car driving behind the car in front without any driver input. It also can keep in its own late to a certain degree. You still need to pay attention though. The lane keeping is not meant for you to take your hands off the wheel and climb to the back and take a nap.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw on the news here in Canada that the federal government has told the provinces to prepare for driverless vehicles as soon as 4 years from now. That is really soon. This technology is picking up faster than you think, but it will still take a while after it is first introduced for it to catch on (if it does.)
it doesn't surprise me that our technology is moving at such a fast rate. It will take sometime to perfect it though. The biggest question is that will you trust it...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
there is intelligent cruise control that keeps the car driving behind the car in front without any driver input. It also can keep in its own late to a certain degree. You still need to pay attention though. The lane keeping is not meant for you to take your hands off the wheel and climb to the back and take a nap.
Right. Distronic Plus. I heard that the new S-Class has something more though?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts