Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid vehicles are becoming better and more and more popular. It comes as no surprise then that Mercedes-Benz will offer a hybrid version of all of its volume models in the future. The brand already has a good start in the hybrid market though.

Benz already offers a hybrid of the S-Class. It is working on hybrid C-Class and E-Class vehicles, and it has already been announced that the next-generation GLK (which will be called the GLC) will also get a plug-in hybrid version, just like the new M-Class (which will be called the GLE-Class.)

By the year 2017 Benz will have launched 10 plug-in hybrid models. These vehicles will share parts to cut costs and will use flatter battery packs to create an even loading floor.

By 2020, Mercedes-Benz will offer hybrid versions of the A-Class, CLA and GLA.

now that's a lot of hybrids!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Interesting indeed! I've long felt that hybrids/EV will be the next luxury play (like V8s have been for the last what 10-15 years) So I can't help but feeling a little smug that Merc is confirming the theory...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think that most automakers will follow this route. In the future I think that most people will want hybrids, especially as the technology continues to improve.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I disagree, it will not be what people want, it will be what people are told they should want and thats a much bigger deal.

Which means the markets are being distorted, consumer demand is no longer driving the bus. Its mercantilism plain and sinmple. The govvy is forcing makers to make hybrids as compliance cars, the makers are turning around and creating luxury branding/perception around them.

You're not in the club if you don't have one of THESE. You're abnormal without one of these. Oh and the more you think you can decide for yourself the less you actually are ;)

What most people want is a reduction in their living costs, Hybrids do not reduce that cost, they simply pull it forward. You make a larger upfront contribution in exchange for reducing your fuel inputs as the future marches. We've already seen hybrid payback averages 7-10 years (thats if the car is kept that long). From a consumer standpoint it makes little sense, that is if the consumers are doing their homework....

·
Registered
694 Posts
This is something I have noticed more and more of. More high volume models coming with a hybrid option. Great way to tap into the hybrid game.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disagree, it will not be what people want, it will be what people are told they should want and thats a much bigger deal.

Which means the markets are being distorted, consumer demand is no longer driving the bus. Its mercantilism plain and sinmple. The govvy is forcing makers to make hybrids as compliance cars, the makers are turning around and creating luxury branding/perception around them.

You're not in the club if you don't have one of THESE. You're abnormal without one of these. Oh and the more you think you can decide for yourself the less you actually are ;)

What most people want is a reduction in their living costs, Hybrids do not reduce that cost, they simply pull it forward. You make a larger upfront contribution in exchange for reducing your fuel inputs as the future marches. We've already seen hybrid payback averages 7-10 years (thats if the car is kept that long). From a consumer standpoint it makes little sense, that is if the consumers are doing their homework....
I partially agree with you but I think that you are painting with broad strokes. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to pay extra in order to have products that are more socially responsible. Anyone who does some research into hybrids will figure out how long it would take you to make back the extra cost of the vehicle through savings in fuel. Hopefully over time the cost of hybrids will go down so that the fuel savings are more substantial. I think that is what the investment in this technology is about. Remember that there is also an incentive put on the car companies as they have to meet regulations for emissions standards.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's a good way to market these cars, they have to find some way to make people want it, even if it takes some convincing.

It's probably best that the cost of hybrids stay around the price their at for the segments their in. Price wont come down, all we'll see are cheaper models.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I partially agree with you but I think that you are painting with broad strokes. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to pay extra in order to have products that are more socially responsible. Anyone who does some research into hybrids will figure out how long it would take you to make back the extra cost of the vehicle through savings in fuel. Hopefully over time the cost of hybrids will go down so that the fuel savings are more substantial. I think that is what the investment in this technology is about. Remember that there is also an incentive put on the car companies as they have to meet regulations for emissions standards.
Well I don't see how they're possibly more socially responsible when you consider the strip mining that goes into obtaining lithium and cobalt. Not to mention the gallium, arsenic and other assorted rare earth metals needed to keep everything operating smoothly. You're buying a false sense of being socially responsible, but I guess that is far easier than actually altering life styles...

So if consumers ARE doing their homework and they know that payback occurs 7-10 years down the road why are people still engaging in losing trades and leasing RX Hybrids for example (or similar vehicles)? Are they all simply poor economic actors or is something funnier afoot?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having test driven every type of Lexus hybrid since the first RX 400h I think that some people miss the point that they are very powerful... not only do you have the 3-4Lt+ petrol engine giving drive power but you also have an electric drive motor to offer boost on acceleration... combine this with the fact that you regenerate power when braking (that charges the battery that drives the boost from the electric), then it's hard not to see why they aren't attractive... I've taken an RX hybrid up to 110mph in under 12 seconds on the track, the GS hybrid did it around 9 seconds... plus it helps to have an automatic transmission on hybrids to make it fast changing... the Mercedes range will be worth waiting for...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've never driven a hybrid but I am curious to try one out. I think that a lot of people have never driven a hybrid but they still hate on them. Obviously car companies are going to make their hybrids good cars. At this point the tech is pretty far along.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hybrids are great, you get enhanced power when accelerating yet can capture power back when braking... they also allow for performance sound units to be added to the car to adapt your drive sound from normal to a sport mode... so you can still drive home quietly after a night out, or go more sportif if you want some vroom...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts