Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz will be offering its customers in Germany and Poland the option to shop for high-end and high-volume vehicles through an online store. While customers would still be directed to a show room to complete the "final sales administration phase" the amount of time saved by using this process is impressive. This process is also expected to appeal to younger customers who are more comfortable with online shopping, and to aid inner-city show rooms which will no longer have to keep as much stock on hand.

There are pros and cons to vehicle shopping online. Would you consider using an online store to shop for your next vehicle?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mercedes-Benz will be offering its customers in Germany and Poland the option to shop for high-end and high-volume vehicles through an online store. While customers would still be directed to a show room to complete the "final sales administration phase" the amount of time saved by using this process is impressive. This process is also expected to appeal to younger customers who are more comfortable with online shopping, and to aid inner-city show rooms which will no longer have to keep as much stock on hand.

There are pros and cons to vehicle shopping online. Would you consider using an online store to shop for your next vehicle?
I've heard about BMW experimenting with a similar idea to much dismay of their dealer network. I see shopping for a car online similar to purchasing shoes or pants online, you need to TRY THEM.

Online is great for getting a feel for whats available or even for finding a better deal on what you want but there is no way the online experience can make up for test drives and hands on time with the vehicle.

Take the GLA for example, theoretically it could be bought on stats alone but i need to make sure that the things i need to fit in the trunk will actually fit there. I believe returning a vehicle is much harder than returning a pair of boots.

Selling vehicles online certainly has a place in the car buying experience but there is no way it can completely supplant dealer networks, people want test drives even if only to turn around and go order the vehicle online...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the article I read said that test drives would also be scheduled online for shoppers. I guess it is convenient to be able to book a test drive online, instead of having to meet with or call a dealer. But, the point remains that a test drive is necessary. I would certainly be willing to try out the online system, and then if I don't like it go back to the old ways of doing things.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yea, the article I read said that test drives would also be scheduled online for shoppers. I guess it is convenient to be able to book a test drive online, instead of having to meet with or call a dealer. But, the point remains that a test drive is necessary. I would certainly be willing to try out the online system, and then if I don't like it go back to the old ways of doing things.
Oh see now that is cool. Will you be able to scheduale a test drive at your local dealer or could you schedule the test drive at your house? THAT would be sweet, few clicks online and a MErcedes rep shows up at my door a few days later with a GLA.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh see now that is cool. Will you be able to scheduale a test drive at your local dealer or could you schedule the test drive at your house? THAT would be sweet, few clicks online and a MErcedes rep shows up at my door a few days later with a GLA.
I think you'd still have to go to the dealer, but it would be awesome if the dealer drove the car to your house. It would be like valet test drive service. See, the online car shopping experience might not be that bad after all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mercedes needs to bake an incentive into the price for online shoppers. Considering you wont need a sales person to buy Mercedes should be able to cut a few bucks off MSRP because there isnt commission and salary that need to come out of the purchase price for your sales rep.

Thats the only way this can fly. Although it could be big for rural areas where there aren't any dealers for miles and miles.

How would taking possession of a vehicle purchased online work? Say i purchased my GLA online, would I have to head over to a dealer to pick it up or will UPS show up at my front door keys in hand?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts