Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz thinks that the GLA will attract more entry-level customers than the CLA. The reasoning is that the GLA is more functional and more spacious in the back seat. Mercedes-Benz USA general manager of product planning Bart Herring said that the GLA has "a level of usability" that the compact sedan doesn't have.

The compact crossover segment is one of the fastest growing in the United States. Compact SUVs account for about 10.8 percent of the US auto market compared to just 5.8 percent a decade ago. This segment is the fourth largest in the US. Only midsize cars, compact cars and large trucks are larger segments.

Benz says that demand may actually exceed supply.

Mercedes-Benz expects GLA to gain more brand customers than CLA

·
Registered
246 Posts
It would make sense. Merc said with CLA the target buyer was a Fusion/Camry/Accord shopper, extend that logic to the GLA and you can assume they're targeting the typical Corolla/Civic type buyer. Only problem is Merc is banking on the ego tug, I'm not sure if people will be willing to give up reliability and cost efficiency for the prvilage of owning a mercedes benz.

Especially if its a young family, you know, those people most likely to make use of the extra space....

·
Registered
694 Posts
It would make sense. Merc said with CLA the target buyer was a Fusion/Camry/Accord shopper, extend that logic to the GLA and you can assume they're targeting the typical Corolla/Civic type buyer. Only problem is Merc is banking on the ego tug, I'm not sure if people will be willing to give up reliability and cost efficiency for the prvilage of owning a mercedes benz.

Especially if its a young family, you know, those people most likely to make use of the extra space....
Also add anything within that price range, because anyone spending that kind of coin that knows they can get into a MB for as much, will do it.

I know Acura ILX owners were pissed when they heard about the CLA months after buying their ILX's, sucks to be them!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do you really think that the GLA is going to have inferior reliability compared to Corollas and Civics? You would think that that extra money would give people at least an equal amount of reliability to the cars that it is up market from. There might be some people who don't care about the image of the Mercedes, but there will be a lot that will want that badge. I don't think it will be a huge problem for GLA sales.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do you really think that the GLA is going to have inferior reliability compared to Corollas and Civics? You would think that that extra money would give people at least an equal amount of reliability to the cars that it is up market from. There might be some people who don't care about the image of the Mercedes, but there will be a lot that will want that badge. I don't think it will be a huge problem for GLA sales.
how can the GLA surpass Toyota in terms of reliability? Toyota is the industry standard.

There might be some people who don't care about the image of the Mercedes, but there will be a lot that will want that badge.
That is one and the same, if you want the badge you want the image. There is no separation of church and state.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts