Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions on the embrace system. I know there are many features that the system is capable of doing. On my car i have the becker system for navigation. With the Brace i know you can remotely send maps to the car as well it can give you live traffic and other things. Will this all work with my car? Or if not can it be added?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know it works if you have Command. I don't know if it works for Becker. It's technically possible but they would have had to program it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know it works if you have Command. I don't know if it works for Becker. It's technically possible but they would have had to program it.
I am with rvittori. Just recently used the mbrace to send a few destination addresses from my Samsung S5 cell phone. The mbrace app on the phone forwarded the addresses to the car Navi operated via COMAND system. The car was in the parking lot, away from my location, and it worked. I didn't try maps yet. Will do soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't have COMAND Nav, or Becker, or Garmin (at the moment), yet my MB-mbrace app says I have successfully sent a destination to my car, but I'll be darn if I know where it went! Does MB-mbrace work like OnStar and provide audible turn-by-turn directions? Is this even available?

Before we purchased I read the available literature about MB-mbrace and it sure sounded like it offered a lot of features, but now that I have the car, it seems all I can do is lock/unlock the doors and locate it, if I'm within a mile of the car! Seems just a little underwhelming...

·
Registered
117 Posts
RR, we have Nav and Command on ours. The stock MB nav is a bit underwhelming too. The garmin in my previous car had more features, although not voice control. That is the very best of the MB nav system - totally hands free with Command.

As for the Embrace, I am underwhelmed as well. Very few worthy features IMO. Your Mbrace-entered destinations probably went into a black hole - since you apparently have no nav storage in your vehicle. ...perhaps WikiLeaks got hold of the send and will be released to the public soon....

All in all, generally NOT blown away with the MB/GLA programmable features - either the stock dash-controlled or Nav. Would have expected more from MB. Not dissatisfied in the least - but not impressed either. I would bet than a new $25K compact car from GM/Ford/Toyota etc has more user-selectable features available.

·
Registered
249 Posts
RR, we have Nav and Command on ours. The stock MB nav is a bit underwhelming too. The garmin in my previous car had more features, although not voice control. That is the very best of the MB nav system - totally hands free with Command.

As for the Embrace, I am underwhelmed as well. Very few worthy features IMO. Your Mbrace-entered destinations probably went into a black hole - since you apparently have no nav storage in your vehicle. ...perhaps WikiLeaks got hold of the send and will be released to the public soon....

All in all, generally NOT blown away with the MB/GLA programmable features - either the stock dash-controlled or Nav. Would have expected more from MB. Not dissatisfied in the least - but not impressed either. I would bet than a new $25K compact car from GM/Ford/Toyota etc has more user-selectable features available.
I can validate your last sentence, I own a 2016 Chevy Colorado, it's the LT trim ext cab, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder, $24K OTD. In other words, a half a step above the base work truck model. But, it did come with the MyLink Infotainment system, which makes the "high end" system in our $38K MB GLA look like it's really lacking! The MyLink system came standard with Apple CarPlay/Andriod Whatever, and has a lot of great features like Apple Maps for navigation, and Siri for hands free operation. And, basic OnStar (like mbrace) comes standard for 5 years. It also has an app like mbrace, but my low end Chevy actually has remote eating start! My three month trial of the full OnStar package has ended, but I am able to get just turn-by-turn directions as an add-on for $12 a month. With this I can send a destination to my truck through the app. Oh, I can also call a number from my phone using voice commands, even when not connected to CarPlay! It really baffles me that this simple safety feature is not standard on a MB that doesn't have the $2500 Multimedia Package!

I have been reading about mbrace on the Mercedes me website, but they don't do a very good job of explaining what exactly I do or do not have access to. Since I don't have the Multimedia Package, that apparently includes the COMAND, it doesn't appear I have access to hardly any of the mbrace features we could actually use. And, despite the claims, it does not appear the GLA has remote start capabilities either.

The one mbrace plus feature I would be interested in is the mbrace entertain package, which we are supposed to have for free for 3 months. But for the life of me, I can't figure out if I have access to it or not, and if I do, I sure haven't found out how to access it!

Anyway, enough of dogging MB's lack luster technology! Thankfully, the car is a blast to drive!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Agree with group consensus. The MBs we've owned have been onerous to deal with Bluetooth and other comm features other than some simple controls on playing BT music. We recently bought a 2016 Honda Fit EX for my wife to use around town. It has HondaLink rather than Apple CarPlay, which gets poor reviews, so I'm not investing in the cables to use it since my wife won't use anything like that when she drives. However, its voice commands and human engineering design for the audio system were way ahead of our GLA (which doesn't have the voice system since we didn't get the multimedia package). One touch of the voice button on the steering wheel, say who to call from the BT-connected iPhone using Siri's voice (possibly the HondaLink system, not Siri), and the call goes through, audio clear on both ends, better than the GLA's.

But as noted elsewhere for other auto models, the superlatives end there. The rest of the GLA is a touch of beefy compact class.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think mbrace is worth the money and I proved it today. I set off my GLA's alarm by accident and moments later I received a phone call saying my car alarm had been set off and did I want a call back. I didn't need it but if it had been someone else setting off my alarm, the mbrace people would have been there to help me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts