Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my complimentary 6-month MBrace Secure trial ended in May 2016, I renewed for two years. I've never used it at all and the likelihood or importance on a small island is not great. Today I called MBrace to cancel auto-renew when the current subscription expires in May 2018; it cannot be done on line. No simple task. Lots of hold time, the rep needed to consult with another department. Bottom line, you can only cancel auto-renew thirty days from expiration (April 2018 for me). The only other option is to cancel now.

I don't have anything negative nor positive to say about MBrace Secure, this is simply a heads-up to those who may also not wish renew, as auto-renew was set up when we all enrolled, at least for US owners. I say all of this with a hearty "knock-on-wood," I still have six months for it to prove its necessity. Just one of those charming little quirks of dealing with MB.

·
Registered
450 Posts
For me its not very useful because I don't have remote start. Occasionally I'll use the lock/unlock and send to Benz feature. But it pretty much a useless app for me.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
When I purchase my GLA 2016 I did not continue the Secure. Several of the things in Secure could be done in Mercedes Me by using the app. I also passed renewing the other items that was free for 3 months. Only use Mercedes Me for a few things on rare times. Do use valet feature id using valet parking.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I never signed up for even the free 6 months of MBrace when I purchased my GLA in October 2014. Seemed like a fairly worthless app to start with, but figured I might give the free trial a chance. But when the MB rep asked for a credit card number to start the trial, I figured it would stick me with an auto renewal and a cancellation hassle like turbolink found. Three years later I have no regrets about hanging up on the MB MBrace rep.

Reactions: Christine_S

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never signed up for even the free 6 months of MBrace when I purchased my GLA in October 2014. Seemed like a fairly worthless app to start with, but figured I might give the free trial a chance. But when the MB rep asked for a credit card number to start the trial, I figured it would stick me with an auto renewal and a cancellation hassle like turbolink found. Three years later I have no regrets about hanging up on the MB MBrace rep.
We had the early satellite/voice connection service with our 2001 C-Class, subscribed only two of the four years we owned it, but skipped it on the next two. Not sure what compelled me to subscribe again on our GLA, other than I was hoping the utility of it might have improved. Always the optimist. :)

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
My 2016 came with Mercedes Me (Mbrace Connect) for 5 years free. The other items Mbrace Concierge. and Entertain were 3 months trail and Mbrace Secure was 6 months trail. I have a 3 year lease so the Mercedes Me will cover the time I have the GLA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you guys have remote start? I bought my car used, the dealership stated that I can use the app to remote start...just Called mBrace and they said that the service is not available for my model and i have the 2016.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
The remote start started with 2017 models.

Please update your location and vehicle in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on this information. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

To update: Click on 'User CP’ near the top right, then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left and then near the bottom edit your ‘Location’ and ‘Car Year & Model’.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The remote start started with 2017 models.

Please update your location and vehicle in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on this information. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

To update: Click on 'User CP’ near the top right, then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left and then near the bottom edit your ‘Location’ and ‘Car Year & Model’.
thank you

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quick follow-up on this. Today was the first day of the 30 day window to cancel auto-renewal. It was not easy, and again, it can only be done by phone, not on-line. The Mbrace rep had quite a few scripts he had to read through and a very hard sell to not give up Mbrace Secure. Realizing he was just doing his job I stayed patient, though tried to cut to the chase several times. He wasn't taking any shortcuts. Mission accomplished, however, my paid Mbrace Secure subscription ends a month from today. Mbrace will be sending a confirmation e-mail within the next day or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a CPO 2015 about 2 months ago, and they keep sending me nag letters. I don't want to even hear the pitch, wish there was a way to cancel the nag letters without spending 30 minutes on the phone telling MB Telemarketer that I'm not interested.

Reactions: Christine_S

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
57 Posts
I signed up for the trial when I bought my CPO. Because I wasn't expecting to have to give them a credit card number, I didn't have my wallet with me when I called. I used a debit card that I never use for anything other than ATM w/d at my bank (that I happen to keep in the car for emergencies). Weirdly, right after that my credit card # was used by someone attempting to make a $1200 purchase (I still had the card). I'm not accusing MBrace of stealing the number but that was weird that the card # was lifted after the first time I used for anything but ATM at my bank locations.

Fast forward to when it was time to autorenew. I have mixed feelings about paying $300 for an app that really only lets me lock/unlock my car remotely (2015 has pretty much NO features with MBrace but we pay the same---that p1$$3s me off to no end). So, when I get the notice that the autorenew failed (obviously, b/c my debit card had to be replaced after the fraudulent use), I was directed to update my payment method in the app but got an error message when putting in my new credit card number (not a decline or anything, just some technical error message from the site). I saw that it hadn't updated to the new number, so I tried again the next day. Then, I tried from the website. Different error messages, but still no update. Tried again the next day. Same results. Then, I got an an unusual activity alert summary from my credit card company (new card, regular CC, not debit): there were 13 (thirteen) attempts at $0.01 authorization from Mbrace!!! This makes me suspicious...has their payment processing system been hacked or something? Even though I tried to renew and was begrudingly paying $300 for my remote lock feature (peace of mind..."did I leave the stove on?"..."did I lock the car when I parked it on N. 19th St in the dark?"), I am having second (third) thoughts again. Weird coincidence, probably. But, my hackles are up. Weird results from payment processing systems plus my debit card number being stolen for a card that I never use...just weird. Who runs their payment processing system, a retail front for "Darkside"?

I have until he end of the month to decide. Maybe I should buy a throwaway pre-loaded credit card to renew and call them? Has anyone else had weird difficulties with payment to Mbrace? Shouldn't MB be more careful who they outsource this stuff to? It does reflect badly on the brand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have mercedesme on the C63. It also doesn't have remote start, just tracking, unlock, lock. And emergency call, technical call and accident/theft mode.
You can call the insurance company and tell them that you have active car tracking (lojack) and have an insurance reduction, to offset some of the cost.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
57 Posts
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that he insurance discount possibility. Thank you for the suggestion. That will be one point in favor of renewal. Great idea!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts