Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spoke to representatives from Mbrace today concerning the availability of Apple CarPlay and the Mbrace remote starter capability on the 2016 GLA250 4MATIC. Unfortunately, not all 2016 models will have the capability to access these options unless the specific product code was ordered for each option. These options are not available moving forward via a software upgrade. The options are hardware specific and must have the option code for the Multimedia package 32C, which includes the 14U smartphone integration for Apple CarPlay. The Mbrace remote start capability from the smartphone app will populate on the Mbrace smartphone app providing the option has been properly ordered with the vehicle. There are dealer specific modifications for remote start; however, not capable of being accessed through the Mbrace application. It would have been nice to have a planned path forward to these options through a software upgrade...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Excellent information that seems to answer a bunch of questions we've all been debating for the last six months or so. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you need the multimedia package if you want CarPlay? The MM package gets you a bigger screen and a hard drive. I can't see either of those having an impact on the availability of CarPlay. I call BS on it being hardware specific. They are just using it to try to get people to buy another package. Of course, they can't get album artwork to display right so the odds of CarPlay actually working well are small.

I CAN see remote start requiring some hardware type modifications.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So you need the multimedia package if you want CarPlay? The MM package gets you a bigger screen and a hard drive. I can't see either of those having an impact on the availability of CarPlay. I call BS on it being hardware specific. They are just using it to try to get people to buy another package. Of course, they can't get album artwork to display right so the odds of CarPlay actually working well are small.

I CAN see remote start requiring some hardware type modifications.
I agree - if pioneer can provide a carplay update for its older head units MB should be able as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The head unit has to have circuitry in advance to be able to take a software change to enable something. Carplay probably has all sorts of nonsense hardware that isn't present in the regular units and they started adding them at some point.

For me carplay is not worth it anyhow - I'm a huge Apple fan boy and all - but since only a handful of apps are carplay enabled it's not worth it. If all apps could at least airplay to the display then it'd be worth it. The only two apps I use while driving (so to speak) are Waze and Overcast (a podcasting player). Neither are carplay enabled and no way will Apple let Waze be capable ever as it competes with their Maps app. While you may think that it's not competition as they are both free apps you're very wrong as the data collected by Google and Apple is hugely valuable and that's what this is about.

I'm still hoping one of the aftermarket displays (a la Navitech) will get rid of the glossy surface, add an ambient light sensor and be available with airplay soon. (a guy can hope)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a 2016 built and after I was told that the remote start was on the vehicle by the dealer, I eventually found out that it wasn't. Mine was a 2016 and custom build. Now the dealer says, the remote start isn't rolling out until 2017 for the GLA-250. Mercedes bait and switch (seriously illegal). Their website still says the 2016 GLA is included.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I spoke to representatives from Mbrace today concerning the availability of Apple CarPlay and the Mbrace remote starter capability on the 2016 GLA250 4MATIC. Unfortunately, not all 2016 models will have the capability to access these options unless the specific product code was ordered for each option. These options are not available moving forward via a software upgrade. The options are hardware specific and must have the option code for the Multimedia package 32C, which includes the 14U smartphone integration for Apple CarPlay. The Mbrace remote start capability from the smartphone app will populate on the Mbrace smartphone app providing the option has been properly ordered with the vehicle. There are dealer specific modifications for remote start; however, not capable of being accessed through the Mbrace application. It would have been nice to have a planned path forward to these options through a software upgrade...
Related or not, I have in my 2016 GLA 250 4M, equipped by the multimedia package the code line: "U71 DVD Coding". Anybody knows what it means? The remote start isn't available via my mbrace app.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Related or not, I have in my 2016 GLA 250 4M, equipped by the multimedia package the code line: "U71 DVD Coding". Anybody knows what it means? The remote start isn't available via my mbrace app.
U71 just designates the US DVD Encoding for the DVD player. 527 is the package code for COMMAND, 218 is for rear view camera. All three make up the multimedia package.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can get CarPlay without the Multimedia package by the way. It's available as a separate add-on.

How do you go about doing this? Order thru dealer? Thru Mbrace?

Whats the price? i seem to recall something about 350.00 US for carplay upgrade.

Do you know what they need to do to make you carplay compliant?

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you go about doing this? Order thru dealer? Thru Mbrace?

Whats the price? i seem to recall something about 350.00 US for carplay upgrade.

Do you know what they need to do to make you carplay compliant?
It's a 350 USD add-on. You order it through the dealer at the same time you are ordering the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's a 350 USD add-on. You order it through the dealer at the same time you are ordering the car.
Thank you. I know you can get it if you just ordered your car after December 2015.

I'm trying to find out if you can add it to a 2016 model which was built before December 2015?

This is what a lot of people are wondering these days.

Can you add the carplay on previous models that have the Audio 20 or Multimedia Center?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thank you. I know you can get it if you just ordered your car after December 2015.

I'm trying to find out if you can add it to a 2016 model which was built before December 2015?

This is what a lot of people are wondering these days.

Can you add the carplay on previous models that have the Audio 20 or Multimedia Center?
Exactly right! Thank you Louie, you speak for so many of us who very much hope it's possible without ordering another GLA. :|

·
Registered
46 Posts
Exactly right! Thank you Louie, you speak for so many of us who very much hope it's possible without ordering another GLA. :|
I was told that it needs to be done at the factory. That's why I had to get a white color because only 2 were left in the U.S. with the options I wanted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know if MBRACE remote start will work on a 2016 GLA with just the apple carplay option (not the multimedia package)? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone know if MBRACE remote start will work on a 2016 GLA with just the apple carplay option (not the multimedia package)? Thanks for any info!
No remote start on my 2016. I don't have apple play either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts