1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is the first I've seen of this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like the issue is related just to the new C-Class built in the USA. Phew!

·
Registered
694 Posts
that's the most messed up thing i have seen with seats ever.
the more common issue i have noticed is with random tears in the seat along the stitching but this is just weird

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I love the MB tex, it's cheap, extremely durable, and it's even easier to clean than leather. I honestly PREFER it to most leathers in a daily driver, no stress...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the MB tex, it's cheap, extremely durable, and it's even easier to clean than leather. I honestly PREFER it to most leathers in a daily driver, no stress...
MB must've changed the formulation in the 90's. I had a plain '99 ML with cloth and MB-Tex bolsters and they cracked a few years later. I have seen the same on some W204 C-Classes (2007-2014). The old formulation from my parents 1986 190e is the most durable. I had the car all the way up to mid-2014 and it felt the same way when my dad brought her home in 1986. And that includes that last three years parked outside (with tinted windows).

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I still treat my vinyl like leather. I use vinyl conditioner the same way I use leather conditioner on my leather.

Keeping it moisturized will prevent cracking in 'most' cases...

Reactions: paracutin and AMGz

·
Registered
694 Posts
I still treat my vinyl like leather. I use vinyl conditioner the same way I use leather conditioner on my leather.

Keeping it moisturized will prevent cracking in 'most' cases...
that's the best way to go about it.
also make sure you park out of the hot sun as that really dries out leather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The thing is with the old MB-Tex is that we never moisturized it. Old MB-Tex has a rubbery feeling to it compared to the current version. If you can, when you see an old Benz that is pre-90's, go ahead and touch the upholstery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tested this a bit once last week when we had a bit of a cold spell. The car was left out over night and then I simply placed my hand on the seat in the morning for about 30 sec. You can see that it doesn't look anything like the issue on the C-Class. I'm not sure if I am testing this right so folks can advise as appropriate.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Heated seat element coil marks

I have beige MB Tex in my GLA250. I noticed yesterday that after a full winter using the heated seats there is discoloration where the heating elements are. I'm typically the only passenger commuting to work. I usually wear a brown leather jacket in the winter. My wife has beige MB Tex in her GLK and uses her heated seats constantly, but typically wears a down jacket. I'm wondering if the discoloration comes from an interaction between the heat from the heater elements and the dye in my leather jacket. I tried cleaning last night with a couple of Armor All products to no avail. I'll try cleaning this weekend with soap and water.

Anyone else notice a discoloration like this in your beige MB Tex?

Any advice on cleaning or thoughts on whether this may be permanent?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have beige MB Tex in my GLA250. I noticed yesterday that after a full winter using the heated seats there is discoloration where the heating elements are. I'm typically the only passenger commuting to work. I usually wear a brown leather jacket in the winter. My wife has beige MB Tex in her GLK and uses her heated seats constantly, but typically wears a down jacket. I'm wondering if the discoloration comes from an interaction between the heat from the heater elements and the dye in my leather jacket. I tried cleaning last night with a couple of Armor All products to no avail. I'll try cleaning this weekend with soap and water.

Anyone else notice a discoloration like this in your beige MB Tex?

Any advice on cleaning or thoughts on whether this may be permanent?
That definitely looks to be from your jacket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That definitely looks to be from your jacket.
Godo chance your brown leather jacket has some die in it, and that is whats rubbing off on your seat. I wear a black textile jacket and I had almost exactly the same markings on my seat (as well as blue jean stains). Nothing to worry about.

The nice thing about MBTEX is that it cleans REALLY easily with a microfiber cloth and the right cleaner. I am personally a Groits Garage fan and used their interior cleaner Interior Cleaner, 35 Ounces - Griot's Garage to freshen up my seats after the winter. Works well on the carpet too.

If the stains are really stubborn (or if you don't like using elbow grease) you might want to use a horsehair brush instead of a microfiber cloth: Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush. (And you pretty much have to use a brush to get coffee stains out of the seams if that happens to you)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe the seat are bleeding because MB is using cheap vinyl seating rather then quality Leather seats which they should be made of. Regardless if they are made in the US and its only the C-Class it's a Mercedes Benz and these problem should not occur whether its a new model or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe the seat are bleeding because MB is using cheap vinyl seating rather then quality Leather seats which they should be made of. Regardless if they are made in the US and its only the C-Class it's a Mercedes Benz and these problem should not occur whether its a new model or not.
that is possible.
what can be done however is getting a sealer or something that will help in not allowing the color to run

·
Registered
84 Posts
I disagree.

You can argue quality all you want, but there isn't many a surface material that will not pick up leather dye or color from a new pair of blue jeans, especially when there is heat/sweat involved. I have a co worker who owns an M6 with probably the most amazing interior I've ever seen and even he is cleaning his seats.

If you didn't want to ever see color, you should have opted for a black interior :)

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
If you didn't want to ever see color, you should have opted for a black interior :)
I wanted the brown leather sport seat package, which wouldn't have shown any die transfer from my WWII replica jackets, an A2 for cool weather or a B3 for sub-zero Indiana mornings. The problem was being too anxious to get my hands on a GLA. My dealer had a GLA coming in with all the options I wanted with exception of seats. Since my wife had been driving a GLK with beige MB-Tex and no problems in two years, figured I could live with that material option too.

Guess I'll get used to cleaning mine. I don't mind doing that as long as the marks aren't permanent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently purchased a mercedes benz c class with beige seats,we have only had it two weeks and the passenger seat has only been occupied on about 4 occasions,ironically I will having interior superguarded when it was noticed the passenger seat had grayish blue stains on it,we returned vehicle to the dealership who said that the stain could not be removed and it was probably our clothes had caused the stain which was high up on the back and adjoining wings of seat.I stated I was not convinced that it was caused by us and if these courses interiors Were susceptible to discolouration why were we not informed ,and we may have gone for another colour.I would also have expected that if Mercedes were Awre of this they should tree the vinyl to prevent this happening. It is tidiculous that you virtually can't sit in the car without this being an issue .Mercedes are looking into this matter for me and hopefully will resolve the matter to my satisfaction but if this is dye from clothes then it could have happened at anytime after it came off production line I find it very disappointing that mercedes have not made everyone Aware of this problem and that the finger has been pointed to us as the guilty party.such a shame that a company with such a good reputation have not corrected this issuemail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts