Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that MB is sourcing Iridium spark plugs by NGK, as BMW has done in recent years. It appears there are two variants, SILZKFR8C7S specified on GLA250 SUV M270 I4 2.0L engines and SILZKFR8B7S is used on AMG M133 engines. The recommended replacement interval is 50K miles or 5 years... but on page 5 of the 2017 MY maintenance booklet there is a caveat that if subject to "severe operating conditions" such as frequent starts and stops then the spark should be replaced at shorter intervals. However it doesn't say what shorter interval is. Doesn't the auto Start/Stops feature fall into this category? I am wondering if it is assumed that the maintenance has already factored in this consideration?

Another issue I had with 50K miles replacement interval was on my 2009 BMW e93; at 30K miles when I took the spark plugs out, to see its condition I had a very difficult time to loosen them. First it was deeply seated, almost twelve inches deep into the head, no room to insert a standard spark socket, I had to order a unique German made spark socket wrench with paper thin wall to clear the tight clearances, which by the way that plug is very similar to NGK SILZKFR8C7S... but after new sparks were replaced in my BMW was "re-born" again !!!

I found this press release from NGK and posted to share:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It seems that MB is sourcing Iridium spark plugs by NGK, as BMW has done in recent years. It appears there are two variants, SILZKFR8C7S specified on GLA250 SUV M270 I4 2.0L engines and SILZKFR8B7S is used on AMG M133 engines. The recommended replacement interval is 50K miles or 5 years... but on page 5 of the 2017 MY maintenance booklet there is a caveat that if subject to "severe operating conditions" such as frequent starts and stops then the spark should be replaced at shorter intervals. However it doesn't say what shorter interval is. Doesn't the auto Start/Stops feature fall into this category? I am wondering if it is assumed that the maintenance has already factored in this consideration?

Another issue I had with 50K miles replacement interval was on my 2009 BMW e93; at 30K miles when I took the spark plugs out, to see its condition I had a very difficult time to loosen them. First it was deeply seated, almost twelve inches deep into the head, no room to insert a standard spark socket, I had to order a unique German made spark socket wrench with paper thin wall to clear the tight clearances, which by the way that plug is very similar to NGK SILZKFR8C7S... but after new sparks were replaced in my BMW was "re-born" again !!!

I found this press release from NGK and posted to share:
In the 2015 GLA 250 4matic they are recommending replacement at 40k. However, we are dealing with a turbo car and we all know what happens with turbo cars especially if you have them tuned. Sometimes we need a colder temperature range to avoid blowing out the spark when using higher boost levels. Is there a 1 step colder plug like an ITV22 for the X156?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not comfortable with anything MB recommends for maintenance. After the information Hookah provided, I got a hold of HG Motorsports and had some new spark plugs sent out to me. My car has roughly 33k miles on it, I've changed Transmission fluid/internal filter/ transmission cooler filter, Went back to 0W40 instead of 5w40 NewEngland weather helps with colder starts. The reason why I say I don't trust any MB recs is because if you waited 50K for an air filter you could be potentially running less MPG

The things you find...... and yet you get told by a dealership it's 53.00 for the engine air filter and 50 for Labor quoting me 100+ to unscrew 4 T25 Torx screws? Then get told by the LEAD tech that it is a Mann Filter ( Cross check this with Rock auto find it to be 18.00, But then you get told that they can't guarantee that the Mann filter will be OEM quality.... Give me a break. Paid once for A/B service at 669.00 Never again.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not comfortable with anything MB recommends for maintenance. After the information Hookah provided, I got a hold of HG Motorsports and had some new spark plugs sent out to me. My car has roughly 33k miles on it, I've changed Transmission fluid/internal filter/ transmission cooler filter, Went back to 0W40 instead of 5w40 NewEngland weather helps with colder starts. The reason why I say I don't trust any MB recs is because if you waited 50K for an air filter you could be potentially running less MPG

The things you find...... and yet you get told by a dealership it's 53.00 for the engine air filter and 50 for Labor quoting me 100+ to unscrew 4 T25 Torx screws? Then get told by the LEAD tech that it is a Mann Filter ( Cross check this with Rock auto find it to be 18.00, But then you get told that they can't guarantee that the Mann filter will be OEM quality.... Give me a break. Paid once for A/B service at 669.00 Never again.
Story as old as time. Once i was quoted 144.00 for _____ (enter lux brand name here)____ for a cabin air filter replacement. It takes 2 mins to open the glove box and to swap filters

·
Registered
22 Posts
- New Plugs

- Old plugs that came with the car 34k miles.
How difficult is process of changing spark plugs? How I see it's all accessible from the top of engine. I will appreciate DYI write up.
It's time for me to do it. Thank you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
To be exact by 2015 GLA250 service manual, 46.5K spark plug replacement.
so when do 45amg needs these replaced?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting observation, I haven't seen that on my Service A nor on Service B scheduling. I have to read more carefully.
Thanks for the info! On high performance turbo charged engines, 30k miles for spark plug service is not unreasonable (was the case on my audi RS6 and they really needed to be changed at 30k). 4 year/40k is common on non-turbo performance engines (like 911s).

In fact, keeping them any longer could cause issues with seizing, so it's cheap insurance to change them at 30k/40k or at least every 4 years.

Does anybody know the torque spec for the spark plugs?

·
Registered
116 Posts
From my understanding there's a lot that needs to be removed. I did not remove the plugs myself I took it to a shop that charged me 145.00 out the door in 1.6hrs. My guess is it would be easier on the AMG 45 vs the GLA 250 4matic due to a lot more plastic in the 250 vs 45amg which drives me batty! I still don't see why they put that intake the way they did. I will have to source the information , I believe HG Motorsports would know the torque specs

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for the info! On high performance turbo charged engines, 30k miles for spark plug service is not unreasonable (was the case on my audi RS6 and they really needed to be changed at 30k). 4 year/40k is common on non-turbo performance engines (like 911s).

In fact, keeping them any longer could cause issues with seizing, so it's cheap insurance to change them at 30k/40k or at least every 4 years.

Does anybody know the torque spec for the spark plugs?
22 newton meters.
do you know the correct gap?
C

·
Registered
116 Posts
Caug, I'm not sure what the Gap is supposed to be, I've run into a bit of trouble with my GLA so I haven't been super into my car as I was but this is all information that should be stickie'd for all of us owners to grab.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well that update didn't take long. I read through the files from @firstdown80.

When I got the the step that said "Remove right front axle shaft", poured myself a porter and put the car back together.

I mean honestly,any engineer that has to type "Remove right front axle shaft" as a step to removing spark plugs should be fired.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well that update didn't take long. I read through the files from @firstdown80.

When I got the the step that said "Remove right front axle shaft", poured myself a porter and put the car back together.

I mean honestly,any engineer that has to type "Remove right front axle shaft" as a step to removing spark plugs should be fired.

I don’t think all the parts need to be removed, I think you just have to remove enough to get to the plugs. The gave up and took it to a mechanic. I bought the plug from FCP Euro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts