Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Straight from Japan, the latest GLA advertisements show Mario, Luigi and Peach all racing against each other in Mercedes-Benz GLAs.

The GLA actually appears in the most recent Mario Kart game. The beginning of the commercial is footage stolen from Mario Kart.

I think that the brand partnership with Mario and Nintendo shows how gamers are getting older, and also that Mercedes-Benz is trying to reach younger folks. After all, what 30 year old these days doesn't have fond memories of playing Super Mario Brothers, especially in Japan where these commercials will be airing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just remember that these ads are for the Japanese market. That should make them make far more sense. Not to mention that they are probably really effective at getting spread on the internet as a viral video.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just remember that these ads are for the Japanese market. That should make them make far more sense. Not to mention that they are probably really effective at getting spread on the internet as a viral video.
Thats why I can't decide. LOL because thats simply brilliant or WTF because the Japanese market swallows such awful advertisements...

You're right though careful consideration was given to the text visuals as well as the lack of Japanese voice over to give it the best chance of going viral...

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is such strange advertising and brand partnership. Its kind of weird to promote with Mario Kart instead of something like Gran Turismo.

The makeup is pretty great though. They did a good job. I just find it fascinating to think about the strategy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
This is such strange advertising and brand partnership. Its kind of weird to promote with Mario Kart instead of something like Gran Turismo.

The makeup is pretty great though. They did a good job. I just find it fascinating to think about the strategy.
coming from a marketing background, in the end it comes down to who it is they want to target and/or the effect they want to have and how this sort of ad plays into that. and chances are we won't find out about that, it will just be up to our best guess.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this may come as a surprise to everyone, but rumor has it that Mario and Luigi in these commercials are actually pro tennis stars Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. This hasn't been confirmed, but with some side by side photos, we can see that the similarities are uncanny. And wouldn't that be a fun easter egg?

·
Registered
694 Posts
These are some great GLA Ad's with some interesting targeting behind them.
By the looks of it, just maybe we'll see more unique ad's like these come out more through out this year and next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts