Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are still waiting for our GLA 45 order to lock. That is, we can still make changes.

Does anyone have stories or advice on the LSD?

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am thinking the same way.
But if the LSD not helping a lot on the wet road or snow, and it is design for racing, I may just skip this feature.
By the way, how's your order? is it almost lock yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm told it locks at the will of MB. Won't know it's locked until it is. Build is slated for the first half of August, so I suspect it won't be long now.

Looking at factory videos and variations in build specs, sourcing various parts and organizing them to be in the correct order for the robots to assemble them has to be an accounting nightmare. I can see where a lock would need to occur a month ahead.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You might know this already, but the LSD is applied only to the front wheels… to quote MB "A locking factor under load helps prevent front-wheel slip and improve power application, especially when accelerating in corners or mixed-friction surfaces, by more precisely balancing front-wheel torque distribution."

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front only was why I balked on ordering it. I'm finding that while waiting for the order to lock it is easy to start second guessing yourself. I'm not normally the nervous indecisive type, but this car is for my wife ...

·
Registered
880 Posts
you might have more luck asking on a CLA forum... personal opinion though, its a "performance" option for a 45, i doubt you would notice a difference in non race track situations, the car does tend to under steer compared to a RWD but its not that bad.. and as reviewers like chris harris suggest, this car would act like understeering until the 4matic kicks in and rotates the car, you have to go into the corner with full confidence and full throttle

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Canada they have a Track Package that puts LSD on both axles. Here in the USA, the Dynamic Plus Package is front axle only. That being said, my order was yellow and overdue for red. Last minute I opted to add on the Dynamic Plus to avoid potential future remorse. I probably will never know if it was worth it, but I won't regret not having it. And I'm enjoying an immense feeling of relief!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
In Canada they have a Track Package that puts LSD on both axles. Here in the USA, the Dynamic Plus Package is front axle only. That being said, my order was yellow and overdue for red. Last minute I opted to add on the Dynamic Plus to avoid potential future remorse. I probably will never know if it was worth it, but I won't regret not having it. And I'm enjoying an immense feeling of relief!!!

Yes for 2017 Canada offers a track package which includes a LSD but I'm guessing that the reference to the rear LSD is a typo. There is no option to bundle the adjustable suspension with the front LSD in the 2017 order guide (aka dynamic plus in other countries) that I could find (and the front LSD was not available at all in Canada in 2016). There was a similar typo last year for a different country but I don't recall which. Based on that I assume the LSD is bundled into the track package only and it is for the front.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I don't feel as cheated now ;-)

I have seen many typos in the MB documentation.

Reading the standard features on the order sheet, it would seem for 2017 they have powered the steering column adjustment and grouped it to the seat memory. But that same wording is on earlier order sheets as well.

The 2017 order sheet speed delimitation says the 45 can reach 186 mph with the Dynamic Package (USA).

It also looks like we have 3 zone climate control.

And the registration year is over a decade ago!

The 2016 brochure has dimensional errors.

With all the variations MB uses in the world market I guess this is to be expected. I've edited company releases, and no matter how many times these get passed around before publication, it seems we never catch everything. I can sympathize!

I still wish we could get folding side mirrors, under the front seat storage, and LED headlights with side lighting here in the USA!! Oh well ... still excited to get our hands on our car next month regardless.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes for 2017 Canada offers a track package which includes a LSD but I'm guessing that the reference to the rear LSD is a typo. There is no option to bundle the adjustable suspension with the front LSD in the 2017 order guide (aka dynamic plus in other countries) that I could find (and the front LSD was not available at all in Canada in 2016). There was a similar typo last year for a different country but I don't recall which. Based on that I assume the LSD is bundled into the track package only and it is for the front.
Yes rear LSD is indeed a typo. It actually is the front LSD.
This is the option list provided my dealer.

ATP AMG Track Package Only with ADP $3,400
471 Limited-Slip Front Differential
475 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
251 Electronic Speed Limiter Deletion
PAH DINAMICA Cockpit
H92 DINAMICA Trim
L6G AMG Performance Steering Wheel Full DINAMICA

·
Registered
178 Posts
Old thread bump - I have my car in for maintenance at about 4500 miles - I have the LSD front (Dynamics package). There was some discussion about the 1850 mile differential oil change service - but that's exclusive to the "real" (sorry for that ;)) AMG RWD cars.

AMG GLA45 transmission oil change is listed at 30K miles in the maintenance book. Can't find differentiation on the LSD equipped model, but 30K seems . . . too long?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
880 Posts
i've ranted about this before, when going in for service go by the maintenance booklet that came with the car. the service adviser is reading off a computer program and there are discrepancies.

For example, when i went for service A the only did the usual engine oil/filter and inspections but particularly for GLA45s you also need to change the engine air filer and rear axle oil, which was not mentioned on his program.

Specific AMG require the initial rear oil at 2k and 30k after
the GLA/CLA require rear oil at 10k and 20k after

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/Model_PPM/PPM_Coverage_Chart.pdf

·
Registered
178 Posts
@m-type exactly what I heard today - they correctly called the 10k rear diff change for the GLA45 after some discussion - also found on the AMG Private Lounge:

Originally Posted by atao777
Hi All,
My car is 2016 CLA 45 with 381HP, and I got the new option limited slip front differential (as part of the AMG dynamic plus package with race mode...etc. Does anyone know the first oil change for this front differential option? On the windshield sticker (one that has break-in period rule), it also states cars with optional "REAR" differential needs to have its first oil change at 3,000 KM, BUT doesn't mention the FRONT.

This is a rather new option for 2016 models and my car was the first to get it here in Taiwan. I called up the dealer, and they said it doesn't need to be changed until 8,000 KM (in which they also suggest that is when the first service is done).

Could someone at AMG or owner advise? I wanted to double check here because like I said, my car is the first and even maybe still the only car to have this new option here in Taiwan, and the service manager here didn't sound too sure himself either.

Thanks!!

response is official mercedes rep:

The optional LSD is contained within the DCT and shares the fluid therefore it does not require a break-in fluid change.
Yes that's on the CLA Forum but I think the systems are very much alike if not the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts