Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I bought this Bell Adjustable Mounting Bracket and it works great for the lower grill. Comes with all the hardware except for a pair of bigger washers to secure them better against the grill. What's nice is that the angle is also adjustable vertically so you can have it point it slightly down if you wanted to.

If there is one complaint, I would have liked it more flush and flat on the grill but this is a great alternative (especially for the price, less than $10) to those who do not want drill holes in their bumper and I haven't tested it but I do not see it being a problems for any sensors.

I am terrible with install write-ups but here are some pics, it 's pretty easy as long as you remove the star emblem so you can access the inside of the grill since the bottom is closed off.

If you guys have any questions, I'll try and answer to my best of abilities. :D

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Please let us know how this plate installation works as far as false collision prevention alerts or park assist problems.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll report back after testing it out but I don't have park assist so I can't test that out.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think the collision prevention warning sensors are in the bottom grill, at least I don't see anything unless it is behind the radiator or something, again I could be wrong but will report back after a few tests.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just a tip, due to vibration, you guys might want to apply some locktite to the threads. This way you won't lose any screws before your plate falls off :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, just got back from the hardware store to get better washers, wish I had read that earlier.

Maybe I'll just secure it with additional zip-ties as an extra pre-caution. hehe

Reactions: AMGz

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do you think it would affect the airflow to the intercooler behind?

But still a nice find, nightscar! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might a bit but don't think it'll be a big deal unless I am going to the track.

Also just came to mind but for those who wants to try and make more stable/secure (vibration might become less of a problem?), you can buy two and put one on the bottom as well so it attaches to all four bolt holes on the plates.

Reactions: Azrielsc

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh man, just got back from the hardware store to get better washers, wish I had read that earlier.

Maybe I'll just secure it with additional zip-ties as an extra pre-caution. hehe
That's another thing I forgot to mention, rubber or hard plastic washers!
Probably hard plastic, i believe that's what a lot of license plate kits come with.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Done mine

As you can see I've moved mine to a similar location from day one and removing the original large plastic cover that the original plate was attached is about the same amount of inter cooler space.
Mine is secured with screws to the plastic grill mesh with original fastner and zip ties a two minute job.
If it affects track days an easy remove refit :)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello all. I bought this Bell Adjustable Mounting Bracket and it works great for the lower grill. Comes with all the hardware except for a pair of bigger washers to secure them better against the grill. What's nice is that the angle is also adjustable vertically so you can have it point it slightly down if you wanted to.

If there is one complaint, I would have liked it more flush and flat on the grill but this is a great alternative (especially for the price, less than $10) to those who do not want drill holes in their bumper and I haven't tested it but I do not see it being a problems for any sensors.

I am terrible with install write-ups but here are some pics, it 's pretty easy as long as you remove the star emblem so you can access the inside of the grill since the bottom is closed off.

If you guys have any questions, I'll try and answer to my best of abilities. :D
That is AWESOME! Is no one worried that the plate might break the plastic grill???:confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The plate and mount I used isn't that heavy for it to break so I think it'll be fine.
@Gadget, looks much better with the smaller plates, really wish US plates allowed those types.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's another thing I forgot to mention, rubber or hard plastic washers!
Probably hard plastic, i believe that's what a lot of license plate kits come with.
I was actually looking for those but couldn't find any plastic washers and the rubber seems like it might deteriorate and crumble up. Metal ones seems more durable. I also put 3 zip-ties to lock it up further to the grill in case those bolts does loosen up a bit.

I didn't put loctite this time around (i'll get some on my next hardware visit) because I have the CA Legacy Plates coming in so I got to remove it anyways.

I am very happy with the whole set-up and if I had a complaint, it would be that I wish it was just more flush to the grill, more tucked in.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also happy to report that I have not experience any sensor error problem.

And here's a quick updated pic with the license plate cover (slightly tinted and a bit darker in person). You can also see how open the upper and lower grill is to let air go through so I don't think the plate in that position affects it much for daily driving. Side grill also has some slits in the inside cover so there are some air flow there as well. Plus the plate is almost perfect height for the lower grill.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks really sleek and nice! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just changed my plate. Here are some close up pics of what I bought.
Went to my hardware store and bout 2 extra screws, nuts, locking nuts, 4 big washers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good and next time I go to the hardware store I might buy an extra bolts/nuts/washer just to be on the safe side.

I also saw that exact thread locker at Walmart but didn't want to pay $8 for it, was just a bit too expensive for such a little thing. I'm hoping a cheaper alternative can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol, yeah it was the same at ace hardware. I just bit the bullet on that one though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Michael, how did you get up behind the grill to install that? Do you have to remove the facia? It seems I would need to be plastic-man to get my hands behind the one on mine. (2016 with the sport package.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Michael, how did you get up behind the grill to install that? Do you have to remove the facia? It seems I would need to be plastic-man to get my hands behind the one on mine. (2016 with the sport package.)
You have to take the Mercedes emblem off. It twists right off. I stuck my arm through the hole and held the washer and nut while I screwed it in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts