Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has. gla and the ac sounds loud inside the car. Is that normal!

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking fan noise. If you close vents the fan has to work harder and it becomes louder. Set your desired climate control temp high enough that you don't need to close vents and it shouldn't be too loud. If course, loud is a subjective term!!!

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
As an HVAC automation engineer in another life I can tell you that air balancing related noise is a principal complaint item in office buildings. A vehicle is a microcosm of same with similar issues. As Wayne cites if you close off some vents the system has to flow higher velocity air thru the remaining which is louder. Better to leave all open and point a couple away from you as needed. And of course when you start up a vehicle left out in the heat the auto climate controls max out the fan speed to as quickly as possible vent the ambient heat.
Be sure you only use the "recycle" air setting temporarily, to avoid severe exterior dust or odor, as that too will lead to the system having to work harder at a point.

I find the "Auto" setting to be the best way to go (although I can rarely get my wife to do so in car or home). Just set the desired temperature and let the software do its thing. Again it may be loud initially but should get quieter as you near that set point. Much better than "chasing the needles" with manual fan settings, etc.

In general the GLA is what it is, an "entry level" CUV/SUV and as such does not have the vaunted Benz tomb like quiet you/she may expect. But in its compact marketing segment it's still one of the best imho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing you're talking fan noise. If you close vents the fan has to work harder and it becomes louder. Set your desired climate control temp high enough that you don't need to close vents and it shouldn't be too loud. If course, loud is a subjective term!!!
It has nothing to do with the opening and closing if the vents. Whether opened or close, you can hear the AC and it almost sounds like a hotel unit. After owning many vehicles, I‘ve never heard this sound. I am under warranty so I will take it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Sounds like you've got this on a path to a solution. Please report back when you know more. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts