Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kust picked up one of the last 2015 GLAs in Western Canada. Mountain Grey Metallic, with Premium, Premium Plus and Sport Packages.

I'm looking for a set of OEM wheels from a GLA to use as winter rims. I didn't want the winter wheel/tire package from Mercedes Canada as the rims are a less attractive (in my view) 20+ multi-spokes that don't look near as nice as the other wheels that come on the GLA.

Ideally, I'd like 18" wheels for winter, but would consider 17" as well. I'd also consider another set of the AMG 19s if someone has purchased an AMG and upgraded the wheels.

Takeoffs from someone in Canada would be ideal, but I'd happily pay shipping from pretty much anywhere in the U.S. I bought a set of wheels from a fellow in Ohio for my 911 a couple of years ago, and shipping really wasn't a hassle at all. BTW, the wheels don't have to be perfect...a minor **** or two is fine, as long as they're are not seriously curbed.

So...has someone taken the OEM wheels off their GLA and upgraded? Looking to get those unused wheels out of your garage? Let's talk.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry, do not know anything about Hubcap Haven but if you haven't found it already, there is a moderately active wheels-for-sale section on the MBWorld.org forums. And of course, eBay is also an option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, do not know anything about Hubcap Haven but if you haven't found it already, there is a moderately active wheels-for-sale section on the MBWorld.org forums. And of course, eBay is also an option.
Yeah...perused MWworld for wheels to fit the GLA, but no luck. Sifting through EBay almost daily, but so far no takeoffs popping up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do not know specifically where in the Great White North you live, but Craig's List is about the only other source I can think of. Of course you do not want to do anything but an in-person transaction through it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know how much you want to pay, but www.tirerack.com has several winter tire/wheel packages available. I had good luck with them in picking up winter tires for my Audi S4 Avant several years ago and am considering them as an option when I will need winter tires on the AMG in 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The problem with aftermarket is that you usually have to get new lug bolts, hub rings and perhaps TPMS sensors if you want the system to work. That runs up the cost and the associated hassle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The problem with aftermarket is that you usually have to get new lug bolts, hub rings and perhaps TPMS sensors if you want the system to work. That runs up the cost and the associated hassle.
That's what i've heard which in the end has me thinking it'll be better time wise to just go OEM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fortunately, TPMS is not required by law in Canada (where I live). Most manufacturers put them on cars anyway, but the GLA 250 is an exception. It has the old-style warning system that reads tire circumference and alerts to a low-pressure situation...but no TPMS, and thus no sensors required on aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No luck finding OEM wheels at anything close to reasonable prices...so I'm going with a package from TireRack: 18" by 8" Enkei Raijun wheels in gunmetal, 45mm offest (OEM is 43.5mm) with 235/50/18 Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires.

While most people would probably not put performance winter tires on a GLA, here in Calgary we have dry (but cold) roads for about 85% of winter. With performance winter tires on our Porsches (Sottozero 2s and Dunlop WinterSport M3s currently) the cars retain a high measure of handling compared to riding on non-performance tires, and are actually a pleasure to drive for the 5 months that the winters stay on the car. I expect the Sottozero 3s on the GLA to be better handling than the Continental all-seasons that came on the GLA, and be capable of handling with ease any snow/ice conditions we will encounter.

Yes, other winter tires will perform better in deep snow than the Sottozeroes, but they will be mushy and floaty on dry pavement the remainder of the time. Giving up some deep snow capability 6-10 days a year to get MUCH better handling all the other days is a compromise that works for the almost exclusively urban winter conditions we encounter here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I usually try to explain to the missus that the most cost effective way of solving this problem is to buy a set of HREs and the resulting takeoffs can then be used as winter wheels at no cost at all. It saddens me that she is unable to see the logic in this... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
No luck finding OEM wheels at anything close to reasonable prices...so I'm going with a package from TireRack: 18" by 8" Enkei Raijun wheels in gunmetal, 45mm offest (OEM is 43.5mm) with 235/50/18 Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires.

What did you decide to do on the TPMS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What did you decide to do on the TPMS?
No TPMS on the Canadian GLA 250 4MATIC...so will have TireRack mount the tires without sensors. Saves a few bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I usually try to explain to the missus that the most cost effective way of solving this problem is to buy a set of HREs and the resulting takeoffs can then be used as winter wheels at no cost at all. It saddens me that she is unable to see the logic in this... :)
LOL...I "suggested" that for only a $100-$150 more a corner we could get into some forged wheels. My wife knows the value of lighter wheels (she has Boxtser Sypder 19s on her Cayman), but didn't see much point in going forged for winter wheels. I had to agree. We also thought about using the AMG 19s that we got with the Sport Package as winters, and picking up a nice set of aftermarket wheels for summer. The choice of winter tires in 235/45/19 is pretty limited, though, and we really wanted the Sottozero 3s. A little more sidewall with 50s on 18"s rather than 45s on 19"s is better for winter anyway.

Come spring, the all-seasons will get pulled off the AMG wheels and replaced with decent summer performance tires. Not sure which one yet; it'll take a bunch of research.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since our GLA's don't come with spares, did you get run flat winter tires, or a fifth wheel?
Nope, no run flats...and no spare wheel. I'll take the inflator kit (compressor and a can of "goop") out of my wife's Porsche before I tuck it away for winter and put it in the GLA.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you finally buy this set? Would be interested to know if this offset with 18s and 235/50 18 suits the GLA well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts