Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 GLA 250. The car has Apple car play with no satellite radio. The front of the radio has an SD card slot. Can I purchase a Garmin SD Navigation card that will work in my car? The Mercedes dealer does not seem to be very sure of themselves and the card is not cheap to buy.

·
601 Posts
You do not have satellite radio are you sure it has the Garmin navigation? You might have the Nav. If you have the Command entertainment package it has Nav on the hard drive which is different from the Garmin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about anything. I get conflicting reports from Mercedes. I do not have satellite radio, therefore I do not have a satellite antenna. No antenna means no navigation availability. I have to use Google maps through the apple car play radio feature. I cannot get a definitive answer about if it will work with the Garmin SD card

·
601 Posts
Check the sticker that came with the GLA. You have not stated your country so things my be different. On the control panel does it give you NAV as a function? If so when selecting it what is the message you get?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum MABROWN. You haven't mentioned where you are located (state or country), might make a difference. I could be wrong, but I thought all US models had the satellite connectivity as basic equipment, which supports the MBrace apps. Another suggestion, use one of the many internet VIN decoders to see what equipment was actually installed on your 250. It might well state Garmin capability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Navigation

I live in the US in Florida. I will check the VIN to confirm equipment in car. Thank you to all who replied

·
Registered
136 Posts
If your car has Apple CarPlay, why bother with built-in navigation at all? The SD card needs to be purchased from the dealer for a few hundreds of $$. It is copy-protected, so you won't find free copies. SD stands for Secure Digital. It was originally designed to have the hardware copy-protection built-in.

Just connect your smartphone, either iPhone or Android phone to the car's Smartphone connect USB port (the passenger side one). You can then use the navigation from the phone, Apple Map for iPhone or Google Maps for Android, on your car's screen to navigate. Much better than the built-in navigation.

·
601 Posts
The Garmin has some features that you will not get with a cell phone. On major roads for exits it will show you which lane to be in and a picture of the exit. It has the speed limits in the bottom right corner. It also has gas stations, places to eat and several other items to make travel easier. The price for the SD card is overpriced for sure just like any updates to any car manufacturers nav systems. One thing it does free up the cell phone that it is not tied to the car.

The Dealer Ordering Guide dated August 11, 2016 states that Pre-Wiring for GARMIN® Navigation under Standard Equipment Highlights.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I balked at the Garmin chip price and thought I would just use my phone with Android Auto/iPhone feature. I ended up getting a Garmin chip on e-bay at $195 from christingkne-2. Address is Berlin but the chip was mailed from Poland. Look at the pictures on e-bay to make sure you are getting the latest. Mine said 2016 on the chip. Very happy with it. I like theGarmin chip better than google maps on the phone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The experience of smartphone navigation depends on where you are located. For OP who is in US, the Google Maps still is light years ahead of Garmin. With the exception of speed limit (something Google deliberately omit), it excels in almost every other aspects, Never need update the map, always have live traffic updates, extremely easy to enter destination, excellent voice support to name a few.

For Garmin maps to have live traffic, you need to have satellite radio and pay subscription to traffic data after first 4 years. And pay $$$ for map updates.

Google Voice works pretty well for entering destination, look for gas station and other places. Exit lane reminders work pretty well with on screen signs and voice alerts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cost of genuine MB nav SD card?

I balked at the Garmin chip price and thought I would just use my phone with Android Auto/iPhone feature. I ended up getting a Garmin chip on e-bay at $195 from christingkne-2. Address is Berlin but the chip was mailed from Poland. Look at the pictures on e-bay to make sure you are getting the latest. Mine said 2016 on the chip. Very happy with it. I like theGarmin chip better than google maps on the phone.
I am trying to find the cost to replace with a genuine navigation SD card from Mercedes, but can't find it online. How much were you quoted from the dealer? (I purchased one on Amazon and twice it has been replaced; now being refunded. I want an original card from the dealer at this point.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
With the newest iOS they re-did Apple Maps to include lane-by-lane directions (tell you which lane to be in) and the current speed zone. So Apple maps is quickly coming up to par with a lot of the top in competitors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@ MB-Owner I bought the Garmin card from Amazon and it's working perfectly. I even used the Mercedes updater app, and have brand new maps. Are you getting an error?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the $50. card on Amazon, the display still says no memory card is installed" :-(

·
601 Posts
I bought the $50. card on Amazon, the display still says no memory card is installed" :-(
Was the SD card an MB Garmin Navi card? You might try downloading the Mercedes Download Manager and try updating the card. Firmware updates in minutes, maps will take hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the part number of the navigation card for a 2018 GLA 250 with the satellite radio in 20 CD changer? I bought three different cards and none of them seem to work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts