Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GLA 45 tires option is very limited choice.
will that be safe if I order and thinner tires?

·
Registered
816 Posts
You need to clarify "thinner tires". The GLA45 comes with alloys that have specific barrel width (such as 19x8.0 or 8.5") that require tires that meet that dimension (such as 235 45 19). So what are you specifically looking to do? Tire have a aspect ratio usually noted as three number groupings…. such as 225/50/19 and the first two number groupings are widest point (aka section width) out side wall to inner side wall (in this case 225 mm) and the second is sidewall height (in this case 50 is 50% of the section width). They point of all this techno babble is "thinner" could mean several things relative to a tire spec. There is a reason for the wheel and tire size that MB specs for the AMG models including the fact the tires are Summer Performance rate (e.g. softer compound for greater traction and bite).

·
Registered
503 Posts
245 45 19 a little taller , but lots of options and tirerack has some for $145 range.
Less sidewall more chances to destroy rims obviously.
the tires i am getting on 19x8 245 45

·
Registered
140 Posts
For what it's worth, I have 20"s and just had to replace the fronts due to wear, found out that only Continental makes a tire in that specific size, same as original, so had no choice. $260 each installed at dealer, bonus was they included road hazard for 2 years at no charge. Wore them out at 6000 miles �� but had fun ��

·
Registered
880 Posts
For what it's worth, I have 20"s and just had to replace the fronts due to wear, found out that only Continental makes a tire in that specific size, same as original, so had no choice. $260 each installed at dealer, bonus was they included road hazard for 2 years at no charge. Wore them out at 6000 miles �� but had fun ��
I learned my lesson on this with others cars and this is why i went with 19s, that and i like the looks

·
Registered
503 Posts
245 40 20 for 152 at tire rack vs. stock 235 40 20 , only 8mm taller.
so when doing 20mph with taller tire the actual speed will be 19.77 mph
no brainer.
c

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually the various wheel tire combos should end with the same outer circumference of the tire, the larger wheels use a lower profile tire so the circumference is theoretically the same. Check out the size of the tire from the rim to the outer edge of the tire, you'll find the larger wheels have a smaller piece of tire thickness. Go to the dealer and measure the overall height of the various combos and I think you'll find they're the same. If not, I think the computer fixes the speed to match the tire/wheel combo on the vehicle, dealer might have to set something, same computer in all the cars with the various tire/wheel combinations, there has to be a setting if the size really is different. But as you say the difference is minor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
245 40 20 for 152 at tire rack vs. stock 235 40 20 , only 8mm taller.
so when doing 20mph with taller tire the actual speed will be 19.77 mph
no brainer.
c
245/40 R20 is the way to go for me too after my contis will soon be replaced. More aggresive stance with the wider tyres and Michelin Pilot Sport in this dimension make it a no brainer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
245/40 R20 is the way to go for me too after my contis will soon be replaced. More aggresive stance with the wider tyres and Michelin Pilot Sport in this dimension make it a no brainer.
I just want another option except contis.
are you guys mean, put the 245 40 20, still good with no rubber ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts