Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a GLA without the light package. For some reason, the dealer I went to didn't have any GLAs in stock that had the light package.

I know that the headlight retrofit is difficult and the thread of someone attempting it has gone dark.

But no one has been talking about the tail lights. In past Mercedes vehicles, retrofitting LED tail lights were simple as taking out the old ones and installing the new ones. Does anyone know if this is the case with the GLA?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would think it would be that simple it price them, bet they're expensive because the entire unit needs to be replaced. It's not just the bulbs, the outer lense is different from what I can see. Might check a junk yard but since there are not a lot on the road a wreck is a long shot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tirgoman is correct it would be expensive. The upgraded lighting units are LED throughout the unit, not just bulbs. Plus since they are LED you need to install resistors to keep the bulb out error from coming up or code them out through Merc's computer systems. IHMO having LED lights in the rear is key - studies have shown that since LEDs light up near instantly, you gain somewhere between .3 and .5 seconds advantage. At 60 miles per hour that's a decent amount of space before someone hits you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tirgoman is correct it would be expensive. The upgraded lighting units are LED throughout the unit, not just bulbs. Plus since they are LED you need to install resistors to keep the bulb out error from coming up or code them out through Merc's computer systems. IHMO having LED lights in the rear is key - studies have shown that since LEDs light up near instantly, you gain somewhere between .3 and .5 seconds advantage. At 60 miles per hour that's a decent amount of space before someone hits you.
I was talking about the replacing the whole unit, not just the bulb. Also, there are plenty of crashed GLAs to get tail lights from

·
Registered
16 Posts
Full headlamp swap out.

I was talking about the replacing the whole unit, not just the bulb. Also, there are plenty of crashed GLAs to get tail lights from
Has anyone had any luck with doing a replacement like this? The other thread has no progress after hitting some connection issues (different pin outs in the harness?).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to replace my tail lights, too. Is this something I can have done at the dealer? My headlights are fine; it's just the tail lights I want to swap for the LED ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts