Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home my new GLA45 AMG last night!

Initial first impressions (given relatively gentle driving during the running-in period):

1. Precise steering, great feel.

2. Flat cornering, impressive grip.

3. Ride quality on 19” rims is firm but acceptable. Dips and moderately rough pavement have not been too jarring.

4. After I got it home from the dealer (after driving about 20 min. on freeway) and shut off engine, the electric fan continued to run for a surprisingly long time, and was quite noisy in my enclosed garage. Hasn’t happened since, but been only driving on surface streets today.

5. Gonna take some time to master the COMAND and instrument display menus.

6. Gradually getting used to the engine stop start function and achieving a smooth standing start. Need to stay alert and lift slightly on brake pedal about a half a second before traffic light turns green to have any hope of a smooth(er) start. Otherwise, it’s quite jerky and rougher than I had hoped (although forewarned by some reviewers in the automotive press).

7. I really am annoyed M-B doesn’t offer power folding mirrors, underseat storage bins and seat back storage nets in the US market. This car needs more interior storage cubbies. There’s no real place to conveniently store the owner’s manual portfolio. At least we get the sunglasses holder at the top of the windshield.

8. I ordered the burl walnut dash trim. In bright sunlight the polished surface presents annoying reflections when the car is in motion as viewed from the driver’s seat.

9. I agree with some reviewers who felt the wind noise is louder than one would expect in a Benz.

10. The Universe Blue is a really interesting paint color, everyone who has seen is likes it, especially me! The red brake calipers are really cool.

11. I wish the instrument display would have the option to show the digital speedo and the odometers simultaneously.

Attachments

Reactions: Boris_Balkan

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Congrats! Looks fantastic!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks really nice! Don't get to see an Universal Blue very often! :)

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Enjoy your ride, after 1000 miles let fly u will be very impressed, yes the powerfold mirrors are Euro spec but didn't know it was not available did you spec mirror package

·
Registered
816 Posts
Congrats and allow for a bit of break in..

What is the build date on your GLA45 and pic of the plate on the engine showing builder if you could please!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further impressions on Day 3:

1. The reflections off of the burl walnut weren’t a problem today. I guess it’s just a matter of getting used to it and learning to ignore it.

2. I’m hearing brake squeal at very slow speeds under very light pedal pressure.

3. I park in a garage at work and have an entry card I wave at the ticket spitter to open the gate arm. Whenever I reach out to wave the card at the proximity reader, my upper arm hits the tall door lock pin; very annoying. The black plastic pins are cheap looking. Maybe I might get a set of silver AMG pins I’ve seen on ebay in the future.

4. I forgot to mention yesterday: the first aid kit is rather cheesy.

Reply to UKGLA AMG: When I used the MB USA online configurator to research the car, there was no mirror package available. I asked my salesman about it and he confirmed that it was not available on the GLA…something about cost cutting on the part of MB. Other forum entries indicate folding mirrors are available in Canada for the GLA.

Reply to SBGLA 45: When I ordered the car on 11/1/14 I was told I had a production slot with a 2/5/15 completion date. I couldn’t find any indication of build date on any of the paperwork that came with the car; would you know how to find out? I am posting new pics including the builder’s plate. I can’t tell if the horizontal dash over the “u” is intended to be an umlaut or just a stylistic element in the signature.

Thanks to everyone for their replies! When I have more time, I'll post more detailed specs.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I've noticed occasional brake squeal on my GLA250 and also on a CLA loaner.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when exactly while driving are you hearing the squeal?
It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I am slowing down very gradually to a stop. The brakes start to squeal around 5 mph and continue until about when I come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brought home my new GLA45 AMG last night!
Do you mind sharing your lease info? I'm shopping and very interested.

Great looking car and great color!

P.S. How many cig/power adapters are in this car? Just 1 under the climate controls with ashtray?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The brakes probably need some breaking in. That just my guess because it a brand new car. Brakes only give problem from wear and tear.

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
2,000 miles on my GLA I still get some minor squeakage every now and then. Could be going from the warm garage to the cold MN air but zero impact on functaionality.

If you bring it into the dealer they'll likely slather your calipers in grease and send you on your way.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
On both my GLA and the CLA, it was a slight squeal noted the first time I braked after car had been sitting overnight in cold weather (10F). Never noticed any squealing on either car after first stop, or when overnight temps were warmer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
When I ordered the car on 11/1/14 I was told I had a production slot with a 2/5/15 completion date. I couldn’t find any indication of build date on any of the paperwork that came with the car; would you know how to find out? I am posting new pics including the builder’s plate. I can’t tell if the horizontal dash over the “u” is intended to be an umlaut or just a stylistic element in the signature.

The build date (month/year) would be on the VIN sticker usually found on the drivers side door jamb. To get a specific date (d/m/yr) you would have to get the build sheet which I do not believe MB releases (for my Corvette I have the build sheet and know exactly when the C6 was built).

Concerning the signature…that could go either way since I have seen an umlaut or a acute accent symbol (such as seen on the engine builders signature) or no symbol. Although Neuhauser is more a German/Austrian surname I find it interesting the first name (Sven) is more Danish/Norwegian.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The date of manufacture on the VIN sticker is 01/15.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New pics

Here are some new pictures I took today, including my GLA45's first trip to the car wash.

As I get to know the car better I discover that in the US we do not get the cornering lights, nor headlights that swivel when turning. I've yet to confirm the adaptive high beams; there doesn't appear to be a way of pushing the stalk forward beyond the normal high beam setting as described in the owners manual.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts