Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ..

First time Merc owner here ..

I just bought a GLA Urban edition 180 ( 68 plate ), when I say just bought, I only picked it up yesterday 🙂

Love the car to bits, but when I opened the bonnet today for the first time I so some liquid pooling & it’s found it’s way onto the underneath of the engine ( pics enclosed )

Any idea what could be happening here ? obviously I will be taking it back to the dealership tomorrow .. Im just curious to what it could be … coolant seems well topped up 🤷‍♂️
Many thanks in advance.

Great
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tableware
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
Looks more like oil in the pictures. Check oil level and power steering level.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
Looks more like coolant to me, but of course difficult to tell just by photo's. You should be able to tell by feel and scent if oil or coolant (or ol' school slight taste - coolant is sweet. Not really advocating however. ;)) .

Also check under the oil filler cap. If it's frothy from coolant infiltrating oil then it could be a head gasket leak issue.

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hard to tell the location from your pics, but if it is on top of the engine...Carmax changed oil in mine before i bought it. They spilled oil all over the top of the engine while refilling and did not bother to clean up. Could be the same issue?

·
Registered
25 Posts
...Any idea what could be happening here ? obviously I will be taking it back to the dealership tomorrow ..
Will be interesting to know if it is just engine oil overfill spillage or dirty water or..... ?
What did the dealer say?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi …. Sorry for late reply but I’ve been holed up with Covid for the last 10 days, managed to drop car off at dealers today & the good news is there is no problem 🙂 …. & it’s just as Geo ( above ) mentioned, it was an overspill when the oil was changed 👍

Keep up the good work guys, great site with great input 🇬🇧🇺🇸

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
Good to hear you're well recovering. :)

Wow, that's a sloppy oil change!! I'd be avoiding that shop in the future as they obviously can't do a simple job acceptably, so what would they do on something more complex!? :confused:
Hi …. Sorry for late reply but I’ve been holed up with Covid for the last 10 days, managed to drop car off at dealers today & the good news is there is no problem 🙂 …. & it’s just as Geo ( above ) mentioned, it was an overspill when the oil was changed 👍

Keep up the good work guys, great site with great input 🇬🇧🇺🇸

1 - 15 of 15 Posts