Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a 2018 without the race mode? I would like to verify (first hand) if the launch mode is available without the race mode. Thanks!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mercedes language 101

"Race mode" is an engine mapping, an option that you can buy.

"Race start" is launch control, present on all 45 AMGs,
1) warm up all the temps (look at amg screen for engine, trans,coolant temps) make sure they are white not blue.
2) steering wheel straight,
3) engine setting on S,S+,R
4) push very hard on brakes
5) pull both shift paddles
6) say yes on menu by pulling right or "+"
7) put your foot down very hard and firmly on the gas (engine revs)
8) let of of brakes and hold on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After performing item 7 above, is there some indication that the brakes are ready to be released and the car can launch? My GLA 45 won't arrive for 3 months so I am trying to learn before it arrives. (I won't be using race start for a while after getting the car).

I test drove a Kia stinger and used the launch mode and it was similar to the steps above except that after doing number 7 and pushing the gas pedal down far enough, a light would illuminate and say that "launch mode is ready".

·
Registered
880 Posts
After performing item 7 above, is there some indication that the brakes are ready to be released and the car can launch? My GLA 45 won't arrive for 3 months so I am trying to learn before it arrives. (I won't be using race start for a while after getting the car).

I test drove a Kia stinger and used the launch mode and it was similar to the steps above except that after doing number 7 and pushing the gas pedal down far enough, a light would illuminate and say that "launch mode is ready".
at step 7, the engine is rev and held by the computer at 3500 rpm and a bunch of banging and pops coming from the exhaust is your sign that its ready for take off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question on my new 2021 GLA45 AMG. I traded my 2019 Corvette Z06 (BEAST) even up for a car that didn't have Dynamic Plus (or the optional seats, exhaust.) I'm still RTFM, and I may have missed how to launch without Dynamic Plus. Is it the same as in previous GLA45 AMGs? I just went over 1,000 miles yesterday, so it's time for fun. So far, in Sport+ I brake torque from a stop, with the tach at 2,800, which is as high as it'll go. The launch is better than off idle, but still not a real launch control or race mode. I'm not new to performance cars, but as far as this Benz goes, I'm a noob.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the previous generation had two modes, soft launch and hard launch and probably all AMG's had it.
Seems like you're doing the softlaunching with the two pedal operation.
Supposedly when you buy a new AMG you get the performance driving event, maybe included?
At that time, they would teach you all this?
The hard launch has many conditions in my car. One that is not well known, is that outside temperature has to be at least in the high 40F. Others are wheels straight, shifting in manual, traction control off, temperatures of transmission engine and oil confirmed warmed up. You pull both paddles and then there's a menu where you acknowledge and then you "braketorque".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Supposedly when you buy a new AMG you get the performance driving event, maybe included?
At that time, they would teach you all this?
I went to the AMG event at LimeRock in CT, and they didn't teach race start. In fact, they didn't even allow us to do that even we asked.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
School comes "free" as a part of buying a new AMG. But they don't teach race start. The closest you can come is for on brake, throttle to floor, release brake. But they don't teach this either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I was at the AMG school, they let us ride in the car (an E63 I think?) when the instructor did a race start in AWD, then flipped it into RWD on the fly and drifted a 180° hairpin a 100 feet later. I could do that ride-along all day!

We were not allowed to use race start ourselves though. Definitely a bummer. Plenty of other fun though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts