Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take delivery of a New GLA 45 AMG.
This should be an exciting and enjoyable occasion however I have experience a wide range of problems. In spite of what the accessory brochures might claim I have discovered that:
1 If you fit the cross bars to the roof channel the sun roof cannot operate.
2 Mud flaps will not fit on the 45 AMG version.
3 The towbar will not fit on the 45 AMG version.
4 The optional wheels (black with red rims) only come as part of the "edition 1" package & this cannot be had with a red coloured car.
5 If I fit driving lights I run the risk of voiding the warranty on all the electrics in the car
6 Initially a space saver spare could not be supplied however one has just come available at a cost of over $2,000.
For what is claimed to be a top of the line high performance SUV these unpublished limitation are not acceptable.:(

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Maybe Boris took the best approach applying performance mods to his GLA250?

Unfortunately the trade off you note has been my experience in over 40 years of car ownership. Hard to find a vehicle that combines high performance with utility and comfort. My solution was to purchase several cars and drive the one that best suited my needs on a given day.

BTW, the roof rack prevents the sunroof from opening on GLA250 also.;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I guess looking at the GLA overall, particularly the performance version GLA45, I would balance out some inconveniences (although I was surprised about the pano roof issue with the roof rack cross bars…I did not order this option so I know nothing about how the rack functions, but can the cross bars be easily removed when not needed?) with the excellent platform and drivetrain etc.

Concerning mud flaps…I own a C6 Corvette and the idea of putting 'mud flaps' on a Vette really put me off, BUT with that said it is known that the wide tires of the Vette will throw up a lot of road debris and really give the synthetic body a bad case of road rash. Solution was to have 8 mil paint protection film (Xpel/Clear Shield/3M etc) around the wheel arches and down the 'running boards'. Works great and unless you really stared hard could not tell the film was on the car. I also installed Xpel on the front fascia etc. and will be doing the same on the GLA45 when it arrives this spring.

Tow bar…I give the aftermarket some time and quite sure one will come out with a tow assembly for the GLA45 (such as CARiD has for the GLA250 variants>>

2015 Mercedes GLA Class Trailer Hitches at CARiD.com - Page 2

Michael

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comment. Yes choosing one car over an other is ultimately a compromise however the issue is that non of the available information advises that certain options are nor available for the GLA 45 AMG. These options are however available for the next model down the GLA 250. It would appear that in spending that extra $25,000 (based on Australian pricing) for the higher performance model you are in effect disadvantaged, as to options or accessories that can be fitted.
You add to this the concept that the car is marketed as an SUV for active, adventurous people to set new limits and break the boundaries, but these accessory limitation do not support this??

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Maybe Boris took the best approach applying performance mods to his GLA250?
I don't know about the 'best,' but my approach has definitely paid off for me in many 'utilitarian' ways so far.

Plus I got 2 GLA250's for the price of one GLA45 ;)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
This should be an exciting and enjoyable occasion however I have experience a wide range of problems. In spite of what the accessory brochures might claim I have discovered that:
4 The optional wheels (black with red rims) only come as part of the "edition 1" package & this cannot be had with a red coloured car.
5 If I fit driving lights I run the risk of voiding the warranty on all the electrics in the car
6 Initially a space saver spare could not be supplied however one has just come available at a cost of over $2,000.
For what is claimed to be a top of the line high performance SUV these unpublished limitation are not acceptable.:(
I should be getting my space saver next week and its not costing anywhere near $2000

·
Registered
817 Posts
I should be getting my space saver next week and its not costing anywhere near $2000

Where are you getting the space saver? What size wheels are on your GLA?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roof bars

I checked this out before purchasing my 250 and found that Thule bars will still allow the sun roof to operate. I purchased mine from the Roof Rack Superstore (at a lower price than MB) and let them install them taking care to make sure there was sufficient space for the sunroof to work. In my opinion the Thule bars look better than the MB ones too. Not sure if the same applies for the 45 though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts