Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" Last Monday, Mercedes-Benz announced that mbrace Connect will be offered for free in its 2016 models. That means buyers of the GLE, GLC and other units with the mentioned model year can enjoy the feature free, and they will have it without added costs for free years.Mbrace will allow owners to use a range of products and services like its Mobile App, non-streaming Mercedes-Benz apps, mbrace Web Services, Roadside Assistance, and other OTA updates. Notably, the Mobile App will come with the Remote Start function, which will let owners of the 2016 compatible models to start the engine of their autos through their smartphone.
Another key element provided by the feature is the Remote Diagnostic Test. This will let the technicians of the customer’s dealer to conduct a series of tests online on the car without the owner having to bring it physically in the dealership.

....."

Mercedes-Benz Will Offer Free mbrace Connect for MY2016

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess you live long enough the world turns. My last car was the year before free and free was never offered to us. This time I'll be on the other side of the equation and I gotta say I like this side better. Still I agree with the kicking teeth sentiment, it creates bad blood when they do this kind of thing. I'm sure the bean counters looked at the cost of some lost return buyers versus the income from the services and pay services won which was why we were never moved off the pay services in my case. :(

On the other hand my wife had a BMW back when the first started offering the emergency calling service for air bag deployment (among other things) as a pay service. It proved quite unpopular that you had to pay to get a life saving call sent in and they changed it the next year. In that case they gave it to all cars that were compatible regardless of being a previous year although you didn't get the other goodies like their concierge gratis, you still had to pay for the rest of it. Perhaps all or some part of the services will be offered retro to previous buyers?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I guess you live long enough the world turns. My last car was the year before free and free was never offered to us. This time I'll be on the other side of the equation and I gotta say I like this side better. Still I agree with the kicking teeth sentiment, it creates bad blood when they do this kind of thing. I'm sure the bean counters looked at the cost of some lost return buyers versus the income from the services and pay services won which was why we were never moved off the pay services in my case. :(

On the other hand my wife had a BMW back when the first started offering the emergency calling service for air bag deployment (among other things) as a pay service. It proved quite unpopular that you had to pay to get a life saving call sent in and they changed it the next year. In that case they gave it to all cars that were compatible regardless of being a previous year although you didn't get the other goodies like their concierge gratis, you still had to pay for the rest of it. Perhaps all or some part of the services will be offered retro to previous buyers?
Hopefully most of these mbrace features will available for the 2016 GLA like remote start. My BMW had their version of mbrace standard for 5 years and i enjoyed sending address to the car.

Now if only MB gives 4yr 50,000 miles, all you pay for is tires and gas maintenance that would be great. not gonna happend haha

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's what the mbrace Connect package includes (this is from the company site):

Standard with any 2016 Mercedes-Benz or newer, mbrace Connect gives you remote access to your vehicle from your phone or desktop. Set alerts, start your vehicle, search Google or Yelp, save time when servicing, and get roadside assistance whenever you need it. Services include:
Remote Start*†
Remote Door Lock & Unlock**
Remote Horn & Lights
Send2Benz™††
Vehicle Finder
Roadside Assistance Connection
Remote Diagnostic Test
Valet Protect*
Message Center*
Dealer Information
Curfew Minder
Speed Alert
Driving Journal
Travel Zones
My Mercedes Electric Vehicle Homepage
Google™ Local Search
Yelp
News
Point-of-Interest Download
My MBFS
Morningstar® Finance
Flight Information
Movie Showtimes
Gas Stations & Fuel Prices
Traffic Cameras
HRS Hotel Search
RSS Newsfeeds
e-Navigator (EV/PHEV models)
Not quite sure why a few of the included functions are needed but it's free.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hopefully most of these mbrace features will available for the 2016 GLA like remote start. My BMW had their version of mbrace standard for 5 years and i enjoyed sending address to the car.

Now if only MB gives 4yr 50,000 miles, all you pay for is tires and gas maintenance that would be great. not gonna happend haha
Yeah, much of the stuff in mbrace is already free everywhere else which I suspect had something to do with this move. That and the poor buy in for it, most people wont pay for what their cell phone is already providing them and in many cases doing it better. With Apple and Google set in the near future to take over infotainment I would think any car company executive can see the handwriting on the wall saying the end of recurring revenue from these services is at hand. It isn't hard to imagine the call being made, you continue raking in what you can from those with legacy infotainment systems and get onboard with the new paradigm.

I just left BMW myself and I have to admit that I miss free maintenance even though I understand the cost was built into the car and it wasn't really free.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ugh, even more reason to regret the MY15. grrrr

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah, much of the stuff in mbrace is already free everywhere else which I suspect had something to do with this move. That and the poor buy in for it, most people wont pay for what their cell phone is already providing them and in many cases doing it better. With Apple and Google set in the near future to take over infotainment I would think any car company executive can see the handwriting on the wall saying the end of recurring revenue from these services is at hand. It isn't hard to imagine the call being made, you continue raking in what you can from those with legacy infotainment systems and get onboard with the new paradigm.

I just left BMW myself and I have to admit that I miss free maintenance even though I understand the cost was built into the car and it wasn't really free.
It was built-in but for me at the time a fully loaded 3 series was like 50k and a fully loaded c class was 53k so it was a no brainer. even now a new 328 series start at $37500 (32950 for a 320i) while C starts at 38400 and a CLA at 31500 BOTH without maintenance. Its cliche but a 3 series is "the ultimate driving machine" most people dont need more car than this.

Heck with this waiting game and obscene prices for a 45 and dicking around by the stealerships... maybe i should just get a new M3 LOL (but i dont want to get back into another 3)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a 12 E92 M3, great car. The only car Mercedes makes I might consider (and could afford) is the C63 AMG, that one competes fairly well with the M3 in my opinion both in performance and cost. The CLA is too much a toy and as I would option it would be at C7 pricing which would be a much better toy. These GLA45 are more useful as a daily but obscene is an good way to describe the pricing. I've been dickering back and forth with a few dealerships and I'm not sure these guys are going to be able to sell me. I'm not going MSRP and right at the moment these guys are glued to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us hope MB fixes "smart key" and remote app hacking sooner rather than later.

"The OwnStar attack that hacker Samy Kamkar revealed late last month can be used against not only GM vehicles, but cars manufactured by Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Chrysler, as well.The attack allows Kamkar to intercept the traffic from nearby mobile phones that have specific apps open that control safety and security features on their vehicles. Kamkar built a Raspberry Pi-based device he calls OwnStar to execute the attack, which he demonstrated originally against the GM OnStar RemoteLink app. The device can intercept the traffic, send special packets to the device, gain credentials and then locate, unlock, and start the victim’s vehicle.
“After a user opens the RemoteLink mobile app on their phone near my OwnStar device, OwnStar intercepts the communications and sends specially crafted packets to the mobile device to acquire additional credentials then notifies me, the attacker, about the vehicle that I indefinitely have access to, including its location, make, and model,” Kamkar said in a video demonstrating the device.
Shortly after Kamkar disclosed the attack, which took advantage of a flaw in the RemoteLink app, GM issued a fix. But Kamkar said that he discovered the attack also works against the mobile apps used by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Chrysler owners. The BMW Remote, Mercedes-Benz mbrace, and Chrysler Uconnect apps all are vulnerable to the attack, Kamkar said. The main problem is that the apps fail to validate SSL certificates.
Kamkar has been taking dead aim at vehicle security in recent weeks. Last week at DEF CON, he gave a talk on the topic and disclosed details of another device he’s built called RollJam that enables him to intercept signals from car remotes and replay them later to unlock the vehicles. The device can be hidden under a car and works against vehicles that use rolling, rather than fixed, codes.
“So when you are walking towards your car, you hit the unlock button — because it’s jammed, the car can’t hear it, however my device is also listening so my device hears your signal (and removes the jamming signal because it knows what to remove). Now I have a rolling code that your car has not yet heard,” Kamkar said via email."

https://threatpost.com/ownstar-attack-now-aimed-at-bmw-chrysler-mercedes-cars/114283

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had a 12 E92 M3, great car. The only car Mercedes makes I might consider (and could afford) is the C63 AMG, that one competes fairly well with the M3 in my opinion both in performance and cost. The CLA is too much a toy and as I would option it would be at C7 pricing which would be a much better toy. These GLA45 are more useful as a daily but obscene is an good way to describe the pricing. I've been dickering back and forth with a few dealerships and I'm not sure these guys are going to be able to sell me. I'm not going MSRP and right at the moment these guys are glued to it.
Stay strong my friend, im getting the same treatment.. was hoping to get into one by the end of the year but i guess i can always wait till the 2016 hype dies down

·
Registered
29 Posts
FatCow - It's my understanding that MY16 production started in September, so unless they already made a MY15 for you and put it on a really slow boat, it sounds like you should be getting an MY16. That being said, the options and packages changed a bit for MY16, so you should definitely check with your salesperson and make sure you don't need to modify your order to get what you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts