Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this happen to me 3 times now. I have come up to my locked car with the Key fob in a convenient pocket only to have the door not unlock for me. Of course this has been when I have my hands full with bags etc. I thought it might be a proximity thing, but even fishing the key out and holding it directly next to the door handle it still does not unlock. I have to press the 'unlock' button. 1 time I had the car running, got out to get something from the garage and after getting back in it complained about "key not detected". I had to turn the car off and then it restarted fine. I plan on reporting it to service, but it is very sporadic (3 times in 2 months) so not sure if they will do anything. Anyone else having similar problem?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have had this happen to me 3 times now. I have come up to my locked car with the Key fob in a convenient pocket only to have the door not unlock for me. Of course this has been when I have my hands full with bags etc. I thought it might be a proximity thing, but even fishing the key out and holding it directly next to the door handle it still does not unlock. I have to press the 'unlock' button. 1 time I had the car running, got out to get something from the garage and after getting back in it complained about "key not detected". I had to turn the car off and then it restarted fine. I plan on reporting it to service, but it is very sporadic (3 times in 2 months) so not sure if they will do anything. Anyone else having similar problem?
Do you have Keyless Start or Keyless Go? Are you sure the key fob battery is okay? They burn fast, a year or less for us with Keyless Go. Our sales rep gave us a heads up with our 2012 C-Class and we learned to carry a spare. Otherwise, it seems like something is blocking the signal or has altered the synchronized code; sounds like a service appointment.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have Keyless Start or Keyless Go? Are you sure the key fob battery is okay?

Keyless Go.
The car is only 2 months old so I would be surprised to see the battery already low. It works fine the vast majority of the time and seems to have a decent range when locking via the fob. Since it works most of the time it is hard to get a good cause/effect scenario. When it doesn't work, it doesn't matter where I hold the key, it does not allow the door unlock. Maybe next time, (If I remember) I'll try walking away and getting out of range and approach again to see if it works.

My behavior is to usually lock with the clicker as I walk away (as opposed to using the touch sensor on handle) but expect it to unlock when I grab the handle when I want to get in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keyless Go.
The car is only 2 months old so I would be surprised to see the battery already low. It works fine the vast majority of the time and seems to have a decent range when locking via the fob. Since it works most of the time it is hard to get a good cause/effect scenario. When it doesn't work, it doesn't matter where I hold the key, it does not allow the door unlock. Maybe next time, (If I remember) I'll try walking away and getting out of range and approach again to see if it works.

My behavior is to usually lock with the clicker as I walk away (as opposed to using the touch sensor on handle) but expect it to unlock when I grab the handle when I want to get in.
Do you have the same problem with both keys?
If the problem is the same for both keys then its probably a sensor on the car.

Have you tried it on all four doors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my GLA for a little over a month and yesterday, I got in the car and the car didn't detect my keyless fob. It said "Key not detected" or something. It was right it my hand in front of the steering wheel. Well, of course the car didn't start, so I had to yell for my husband (they do come in handy) and he came down and he took off the keyless button cover thing and inserted the key and then all was well. He put the button cover back on and it didn't happen again for the day. I also have had trouble lately with the car not unlocking for me with my hand.

I've also had trouble with my back-up camera: I put car in reverse, the camera comes on as it should, and then I put the car in drive but the camera still is showing behind me on the screen. I have to hit the radio button to get it back synced. This has happened twice in the past two days.

I can't help but think that these two issues are somehow related. It's too coincidental to have two "electrical" issues happen on the same days.

I will have to dig out my other fob and see what happens with that one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm kind of pissed that I'm already having trouble after dropping lots of money (to me) on a new car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our GLA also exhibits the problem with the fob not being recognized. It happens infrequently (once or twice a month) in different locations around the city. Happens with both fobs, which both have new batteries. Personally, I have little interest in taking it to the dealer to be told they can't recreate the problem, there are no error codes in the DME and it's fine from their perspective. When a company with the resources of Mercedes can't get a simple keyless entry system to function reliably, I'm of the mind that the idea of autonomous/driverless vehicles is nothing but fantasy.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Our GLA also exhibits the problem with the fob not being recognized. It happens infrequently (once or twice a month) in different locations around the city. Happens with both fobs, which both have new batteries. Personally, I have little interest in taking it to the dealer to be told they can't recreate the problem, there are no error codes in the DME and it's fine from their perspective. When a company with the resources of Mercedes can't get a simple keyless entry system to function reliably, I'm of the mind that the idea of autonomous/driverless vehicles is nothing but fantasy.
Since my last comment on this I have had the fob not be recognized on one occasion. Keyless Go did not work to lock the car, nor would the fob buttons. I decided a "reboot" might work, so I got back in, started the GLA, then shut it down. Voilá, back to normal. Learning point for me...reboot. Or...maybe that was just coincidental.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would bet it's the fob battery beginning to die. Mine needed replacing 6 weeks after getting the car. The keyless go eats them up. $2.75 at the dealership, I keep 1 in the console now.
As for the rear camera, the car has to go faster than 5-10 mph in drive before the Command switches from rear camera to whichever screen you were in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's most likely interference. My old garage door opener RECEIVER blasted tons of RF noise. So bad none of our BMWs would keyless start even with new batteries. Never, not once inside the garage. The Merc works 95% of the time though. I've since replaced that antique opener (it was about 30 years old lol) with a modern Chamberlain unit. Now still Merc works 95% of the time. I noticed if I hit unlock - even if car is unlocked - it never happens but that just may be statistics working in my favor for now. We'll see. In the end, pop out the nubbin, start the car. Put it back later and all good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've also had trouble with my back-up camera: I put car in reverse, the camera comes on as it should, and then I put the car in drive but the camera still is showing behind me on the screen. I have to hit the radio button to get it back synced. This has happened twice in the past two days.
the camera will turn off as soon as you start driving (probably programmed to something like >5 mph). i assume this is to prevent the camera from repeatedly retracting back in and out, turning on and off (such as if you're parking in a tight spot and have to go in reverse and drive a lot).

i've had the keyless go not work once so far. tried all the doors, and then just pressed the button on the key fob. thought it might have been because the car was still really dirty from all the snow and salt, but it hasn't happened again so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.