Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife just called to tell me that the GLA reported that the key battery needs to be replaced. Has anyone had that yet? If so, can I just replace the battery with one from walmart or some other cheap source without going back to dealer?

·
Registered
816 Posts
No need to go to dealer…piece of cake to change out battery.

Pop off (gently prior up the bottom (wide part) of the the rear cover (meaning the side that does not have the buttons) and this will expose the battery compartment. The battery you need is a CR2025 which you can get pretty much anywhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fantastic! thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Agree with SSBGLA45, very easy to do. And when you go to Walmart or wherever, get an extra battery to keep in the GLA. If you have Keyless Go they tend to discharge fast...about a year or less on our C-Class per key fob battery. Interestingly, we've noted when one battery goes, the other key fob's battery goes about the same time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are video's online (youtube) that show you how do do it. There is a trick you can do to use the emergency key to pop it out.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Wow, surprised at how quickly the battery discharges with Keyless Go. We don't have that on either of our Mercedes, but on my wife's previous VW with their version of Keyless Go the battery lasted for about two years.

When it comes to options like Keyless Go I can be somewhat of a Luddite. I like being ably to turn or move something mechanical to start the car. Even though I realize that the "start" position on my GLA simply drives a relay making it much like pushing the Keyless Go start button. Still like turbolink suggested, would keep an extra in the car for emergencies.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Wow, surprised at how quickly the battery discharges with Keyless Go. We don't have that on either of our Mercedes, but on my wife's previous VW with their version of Keyless Go the battery lasted for about two years.

When it comes to options like Keyless Go I can be somewhat of a Luddite. I like being ably to turn or move something mechanical to start the car. Even though I realize that the "start" position on my GLA simply drives a relay making it much like pushing the Keyless Go start button. Still like turbolink suggested, would keep an extra in the car for emergencies.
Our sales rep tipped us off when delivering our C-Class in 2012, the constant interrogation of the key fobs for Keyless Go drags them down. Otherwise, I've found most key fob batteries in the past last multiple years, rarely if ever replaced one.

His second admonishment was when you get the warning, don't wait, change it ASAP, because it goes dead fast once you get that. We found out with one of our two key fobs that was very true, the first time they went out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny thing, I've been buying fob batteries for years at everywhere BUT the dealer, the other day I was buying a AMG license plate frame for my GLA45AMG and overheard another customer asking for a battery, the guy brought out battery and said he'd install it, then said it would be 75 cents, the customer was shocked and I was surprised. I asked the counter guy why 75 cents and he said it was just good customer service. I've been paying around $5 for batteries but all future ones will be bought at my dealership. However the carbon fiber frame was $40 ��

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it's anything like the keyless go in BMW (whatever they call theirs) then the battery isn't used. It's more akin to RFID. The battery is only used when the buttons are pushed to arm/disarm etc. So why are the batteries running down so fast for all of you? I sure hope it was just a case of bad batteries.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know how BMW's version works, but MBZ's is pretty intelligent, and therefore, I suspect, a lot more active (not just when buttons are pushed), hence the battery rundown. For example, it knows that you are inside or outside the car. It knows if you leave the key in the car, and it knows what you're wearing. (OK, not that last part!)

It's doing a lot, and the replacements are cheap, so I'm OK with it. Though it does raise the question: has anyone who's replaced the battery had to do it again yet?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't know how BMW's version works, but MBZ's is pretty intelligent, and therefore, I suspect, a lot more active (not just when buttons are pushed), hence the battery rundown. For example, it knows that you are inside or outside the car. It knows if you leave the key in the car, and it knows what you're wearing. (OK, not that last part!)

It's doing a lot, and the replacements are cheap, so I'm OK with it. Though it does raise the question: has anyone who's replaced the battery had to do it again yet?
I haven't had the batteries run down on our November 2015-delivered 2016 GLA yet, but a year was pretty much the limit on our previous 2012 C-Class with Keyless Go, which is why we kept a spare in the glove box. I also put an annual reminder in our automated calendar to replace the batteries after a couple years of that experience. We were warned up front by our sales rep in 2012 to expect that.

As suggested, since 2012 the CR2025 battery cost has been cut in half at local stores, and Tirgoman mentioned a true 75¢ bargain price from his local MB parts sales.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've read this thread and found it interesting that the battery on the key fob would last less than a year.

However last weekend I jumped into my GLA and the 'Change Key Battery' warning came up. I picked my car up in April and the battery on the key I used lasted til February. 10 months.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't had the batteries run down on our November 2015-delivered 2016 GLA yet, but a year was pretty much the limit on our previous 2012 C-Class with Keyless Go, which is why we kept a spare in the glove box. I also put an annual reminder in our automated calendar to replace the batteries after a couple years of that experience. We were warned up front by our sales rep in 2012 to expect that.

As suggested, since 2012 the CR2025 battery cost has been cut in half at local stores, and Tirgoman mentioned a true 75¢ bargain price from his local MB parts sales.
Interestingly enough the dealer that I bought my GLA from replaces the batteries for free as a courtesy as long as you own the vehicle......

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bought my car in February 2016, battery replacement message today. Easy replacement.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Went to BJ's and got a pack of 6 2032's, cost $9 and change.. The 2032 is just a little thicker than the 2025 (.7 mm) Instead of falling into the battery space it clicks in. The cover goes back on as usual. I used the 2025 because that's all they had, and an additional bonus is that the 2032 has a little more mah capacity, should last longer. Voltage is the same. The car is a 2015 GLA250.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts