Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my 2016 GLA started informing me that my key battery needs to to be replaced. I just replaced it less than 3 months ago, so I check the battery using a good battery checker and it says the battery is strong. So I get the other key fob and it also suddenly needs a battery. So, I test the fob; I leave the car in the driveway and walk down the street and I can reach the car from almost half a block away with the fob. Okay, whatever, so, I get in the car, and go down to Walgreen's to get a battery. I get home, put the new battery in the fob and the next day the car still says "Replace key battery" I press OK and figure, well it will take some time to reset. Now, a week later it still says "Replace key battery" and I have to hit "OK" to stop it every time I get into the car. The fob seems to work just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it? I was thinking maybe I would disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes to see if that resets it. I keep the keys in a tin box on the other side of the house from the garage, as I have heard that people can use fob amplifiers to get into cars. Should I leave them near the car so they can talk to each other?

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
If I recall correctly you need to access the service screen to reset the reminder. The car doesn't reach out to do a battery test.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just changed both key fob batteries (CR2025) as I got an alert and I didn't have to reset anything. MY2018 however. The OEM batteries were about two years old (from delivery; unknown how long in factory vendor stock).

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
My experience with a 2016 production GLA is about a year before needing replacement. And, they don't give you much grace after warning, you need to change the batteries fairly soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts