Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts of putting K and N filter on our GLA. Anyone did it ? any improvements on economy?
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I heard that oiled filters and turbo systems do not mix well. do some intensive research on this if you are planning to use a K&N filter.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I heard that oiled filters and turbo systems do not mix well. do some intensive research on this if you are planning to use a K&N filter.
Yes if over oiled then it will mess up the MAF. Make sure you follow instructions 100% when oiling it. Many let it set out side the car a day or so to let the extra oil drain before installing into car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed the K&N filter and my butt dyno felt it was a little better at taking off, but nothing huge. I can also hear the BOV a little now. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have used K&N filters on various vehicles and motos in the past but stopped short when I found studies showing that they do not filter as good as most dry filters.

The very slight improvement in airflow in is not going to amount to much unless the exhaust is tuned also... Then, the next step is usually a Fuel Tuner device to help you keep all this in synch... Been there, done this on several vehicles, but never again!

Each to his own... Have Fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all your reply, I will do more research before buying . Its just very convincing .
Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
ams alpha sells the best set up.
Also never reoil k&N, buy new one.
you cant feel 10-15 increase in hp.
c

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't expect much in the way of real world power gains. Maybe measured on a dyno. Ran many and best benefit is reusable and some growl. MAF worries, meh. Don't know about turbo issues as I've not had a that combo so haven't researched.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Non-OEM higher flow air filters are not without controversy, particularly the one mentioned in this thread. I've looked into increasing power on my 45 and in my search found good feedback on the air filter topic. People have had oil analysis after running non-OEM air filters and found substantial contaminants present, and when they went back to OEM, the contaminant count dropped. It's not just a one-off either. Contaminants are bad for the turbo and engine. Without hesitation, I'm staying with the OEM filter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't think the K&N (dry) will perform any better than the OEM one. Will never put an wet oil one, it really fowled up the MAF pretty bad on by bimmer. They are very expensive to replace it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ams alpha sells the best set up.
Also never reoil k&N, buy new one.
you cant feel 10-15 increase in hp.
c
Hey Caug, Another question for you about this intake. Has to do with my "wonderful" experience yet again with Tricolore. Anyways, I'm looking at the AMS you recommend here, looks like the filter gets cleaned rather than replaced. So, if I wanted to buy a replacement so I could have a round-robin replacement (and clean at my leisure), do you know where I could source that?

I think it's a better solution because the filter on the TP kit looks like a piece of scotch brite taped to a rubber hose. I'm thinking best to use my housing and the AMS filter assuming the flange is the same size. Will check that.

but only if I can buy those Alpha filters separately. I'd want to buy two of them. Any idea where to source them?

-----------------

OK confirmed, my TP housing is 4" and compatible with any 4" filter that fits the housing. I really don;t want to use the pipercross filter because it looks like junk. The Alpha clearly fits our box. So: where to buy Alpha filters?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I found it about 5 minutes after posting. :( I had searched for it previously, I don't know why I didn't find it. Even more embarrassing, I contacted AMS and asked. Bonehead! I was the guy asking the grocery store clerk where the oranges were in the produce aisle while standing in front of the orange display.

You like your filter BTW? Seriously, the pipercross filter looks like it's made out of scotchbrite.

How often do you clean yours? and you do yours in water, or just compressed air?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Never cleaned it yet, i had it may be 1-2 years. They said use air compressor to blow it from inside out. mine still looks good,i need to by an air compressor.
C

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well it looks like yet more pain for me. AMS cannot ship to CA because our wonderful overlords in the state capitol have places restrictions on automotive goods coming into the state. Probably enacted by the same ninnies who complain about international trade.

Anyways, I need to find a local dealer who can order from an AMS distributor, because AMS direct can't get air filters to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts