Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple questions:

1. Prepaid service packs: should we get these? Or just pay as we go?
  2. Media package. Is this worth the extra $2400? Seems like mainly navagation, but our phones work great for this. Maybe worth it for the advanced voice control?
We definitely will get the premium package, but not driver assist or sport.

Any other "must haves" that we should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm new to the game having just made my deal on Saturday, and picking the car up this coming Friday

I narrowed it down to two cars on the dealers lot - one with the Media package, and one with the Sport. Otherwise the cars were similarly equipped.

I went with the Sport Package (wanted the rims and front bumper) because that car was pre-wired for the Becker Nav. For $600 more, I got a full nav system with voice activation that is fully integrated into the car. The rest that was offered on the Media Package was worthless to me.

This video on the Becker may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3N7OcjvOs

Good Luck!

Couple questions:

1. Prepaid service packs: should we get these? Or just pay as we go?
  2. Media package. Is this worth the extra $2400? Seems like mainly navagation, but our phones work great for this. Maybe worth it for the advanced voice control?
We definitely will get the premium package, but not driver assist or sport.

Any other "must haves" that we should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because that car was pre-wired for the Becker Nav. For $600 more
The dealer prewired it? Or did it come from the factory? I assume becker is aftermarket, and it's cheaper? It's fully voice controlled within the car's audio?

Please give me more details!

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Some quick thoughts:

The Becker pre-wiring should be about $200. The actual Becker unit should be about $600 installed from the factory. If you decide on Becker, and have the choice, you may want to go with the pre-wiring $200 and then get a Becker unit off of eBay for about $200 (sometimes less). JFYI, make sure to read reviews of the Becker mapping tech and frequency of map updates. Some folks like it, others do not.

As for the pre-paid service I generally don't get it but did this time as it was part of my negotiation with the dealer. Technically speaking...if all things are equal, you are actually going to pay slightly more for the service if you pre-pay as it is most often rolled into your financing and you pay interest on it over the life of your loan. Are you really going to pay that much more, no but wanted to call it out. I'll admit I do like walking into a dealer for regular service and walking out without having to worry about the bill.

Finally, I was not going to go with the COMMAND interface but have found that I really love it. The voice control is a nice option too as it makes it really easy to read txt messages, switch stations, etc. I still don't know all the commands but so far really like it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, HumblePie. So the Becker pre-wire is a dealer-installed upgrade? And did you order the COMMAND interface separately from Media Package? I'm not clear yet on whether you can add 'piece-meal' some of the features of the packages.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Just make sure you get LED DRL headlights! LOL

Reactions: Xtheunknown

·
Registered
81 Posts
My car came pre-wired from the factory. It's listed on the sticker as s $200 option. The dealer charges $600 for the Becker unit and install.

As the video I attached shows, it is fully integrated into the car.

Remember, I'm picking a car out of inventory, not ordering a car.

Honestly, other than the Nav component, the rest of that package - wifi spot, traffic, weather, and access to Facebook/Twitter is of zero value to me. It's a great package, I just don't need the other stuff.

Ditto on the Bi-Xenon headlamps! ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all, for your replies. I'm not certain we will actually order the car, because they may have better inventory now than in Dec. However, I'm wondering if you do order, can you pick some of the individual components of the packages without picking the whole package?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DBLXX, is ordering done online or at dealer?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You have to order at a dealer because you will be negotiating a delivery price.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I've been really dragging my feet on getting a GLA.... but now a lot closer. Another question I have is will the dealer negotiate on a GLA that we order? My experience with other manufacturers is that they don't on factory orders.

Any other recent tips I should know about?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a post that someone here negotiated a price around $4k less than sticker. The car below is listed at $42.4k, and I'm wondering if you all think it's possible to negotiate this down to about $39k??

Here's how it's configured:

• Multimedia Package
    [*]
    Rearview Camera
    [*]COMAND w/Navigation
    [*]Navigation Map Updates Included For 3-years​
  • Premium Package
  • Garage Door Opener
    [*]Compass
    [*]Auto-Dimming Mirrors
    [*]iPod/MP3 Media Interface
    [*]SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
    [*]Dual Zone Climate Control
    [*]harman/kardon Premium Sound System
    [*]Heated Front Seats​
  • Bi-Xenon Headlamps
  • Blind Spot Assist
  • Illuminated Star
  • Panorama Sunroof
  • Wheels: 18" Twin 5-Spoke Alloy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I negotiated mine from 44k to 41k + 2 yrs maintenance with all of the packages available minus the interior package and driving assist

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I negotiated mine from 44k to 41k + 2 yrs maintenance with all of the packages available minus the interior package and driving assist
Excellent! Maybe it was your post I saw. Can you tell me roughly where you are located? Not sure my market will support that kind of reduction, but it can't hurt to try!

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was able to negotiate $3k off my sticker PLUS an extra $1,500 for my trade. Keep that in mind when people quote discounts - where trades are involved, the true discount gets a little fuzzy.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my car from a dealership in alexandria, VA. Where do you live?
San Diego/Orange county California area. I have lots of choices, so I'm hopeful they will negotiate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
shop around and get the best deal on the car that you really like. That's what I did and dealership in VA found the car with the specs I want in new york Lol. So they brought in the car all the way from there so they could sell it to me.

P.S. not all dealership will do this and it took them almost a month to find the car I like.

(If anyone in dmv area are looking for MB car, let me know and I will refer you the agent who got me my GLA. straight up and hard working guy)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, I will!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts