Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received our letter from MBUSA yesterday regarding the camshaft replacement. Of course our GLA250 is included in the recall. Now waiting on a follow-up letter to get sent out on availability on parts. Not too thrilled about getting this done, but will have to for safety. Hoping everything will be the same when completed......

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks for sharing…can you scan in the document (eliminating any personal info of course) so others can see the entire notice?
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is this just for M270 engines built on certain dates?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Is this just for M270 engines built on certain dates?
Yes… but which build dates is what I am hoping the notice that forum member GLA 4MATIC received will show.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will scan the letter in later....
To answer the above question....."a recall involving certain Model Year 2015-2016 CLA -Class, GLA-Class, and SLK-Class vehicles." As I recall, the build dates are form mid-July 2015 to end of August 2015, which I read on the MB site. Mine was built in that time slot. I don't think having a 4MATIC matters as it effects the engine and not the drive train....JMO Tom

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I will scan the letter in later....
To answer the above question....."a recall involving certain Model Year 2015-2016 CLA -Class, GLA-Class, and SLK-Class vehicles." As I recall, the build dates are form mid-July 2015 to end of August 2015, which I read on the MB site. Mine was built in that time slot. I don't think having a 4MATIC matters as it effects the engine and not the drive train....JMO Tom
Does your VIN show up in the NHTSA site?
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...txt=https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my second letter from MB today letting me know to make an appointment with my dealer ASAP to get the camshaft work completed.
The letter states: "the weld on certain camshafts may not have been placed at the intended position"
Also further states: "Please mention that you are scheduling an appointment to have one, or both camshafts replaced under Recall Campaign # 2015100007 (intake), 2015100008 (both), or 2015100009 (exhaust). etc., etc....
Time for repairs is about 9 hours. It seems like an inspection is needed to determine if one or both or maybe not any of the cams will be replaced.
Calling first thing on Monday morning as I want to get this done as quickly as possible......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gla recall camshaft --important

>:DPlease read the attached from NHTSA about this recall, and the date
Mercedes notified them of the same. Report to NHTSA was 10-26-2015, read
the second important page about this recall.

IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A MFG, TO SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, IMPORT OR INTRODUCE OR DELIVER INTO INTERSTATE COMMERCE, A MOTOR VEHICLE ONCE THEY
HAVE NOTIFIED NHTSA. SO ANYONE LIKE ME THAT BOUGHT ONE THAT IS BEING RECALLED AFTER THAT DATE, CAN LEGALLY DEMAND FULL REFUND AND OTHER COMPENSATIONS, WHICH YOU SHOULD DO, DO NOT SETTLE FOR SOME
MAJOR SAFETY REPAIR TO YOUR VEHICLE, GET A NEW ONE.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's update.....

So I call my original selling dealer to make an appointment, and I get a lot of BS, parts aren't in and I need to wait for a 3rd letter from MB letting me know when the parts will be in......called MB directly, what a treat!!! and find out it is pure BS......
Called another dealer service department and the service person couldn't help me enough......assured me he will open a "ticket order" on my GLA to order all parts needed, will call when they are in, will provide a loaner vehicle as this is a big job. And also assured me that the job will be done correctly and run just as good or better than before......wow, answered all of my questions with info that I needed to hear, why couldn't the selling dealer service guy provide me with the same service????

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So I call my original selling dealer to make an appointment, and I get a lot of BS, parts aren't in and I need to wait for a 3rd letter from MB letting me know when the parts will be in......called MB directly, what a treat!!! and find out it is pure BS......
Called another dealer service department and the service person couldn't help me enough......assured me he will open a "ticket order" on my GLA to order all parts needed, will call when they are in, will provide a loaner vehicle as this is a big job. And also assured me that the job will be done correctly and run just as good or better than before......wow, answered all of my questions with info that I needed to hear, why couldn't the selling dealer service guy provide me with the same service????
That's really helpful information. I am sure those impacted by the recall will feel a lot better based on your experience. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Question, are all 250's impacted by this recal or just a selected few ?
Slicktype, others might correct me or add information, but I believe the impacted GLAs were generally the last two months of model year 2015 production (July and August), but not all auto engines in that group. Here's a link to a longer discussion thread which includes some links embedded to determine if you have a vehicle that's among the recall (VIN check).

http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...-discussion/12577-possible-gla250-recall.html

There are other discussion threads you can find here by searching on "camshaft recall" (upper right search box on each page). If you have a 2016 model, believe your GLA is not included.

There have also been one or two forum members who were reporting engine failures here with symptoms that matched this recall, before it was officially announced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, did you see my posting for GLA owners from National HWY Safety ?? Apparently this website took it off, Is this site a self serving website???You need to go in and see response from government to Mercedes, about ,not selling anymore autos from their reporting date.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Merznut,
The post was NOT removed…I merged it with this thread so info on this subject is retained in less numbers of threads. Duplicate content threads become confusing and less read.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Major update today.....

That's really helpful information. I am sure those impacted by the recall will feel a lot better based on your experience. Thanks for the report!
Thanks, glad to help out in anyway I can....:)

Question, are all 250's impacted by this recal or just a selected few ?
You need to enter your VIN# on the MB site that has been listed I think here in this thread and other threads on the forum.....Not all 250's are affected by this recall. If yours was built between July 15th & August 31st 2015, then you have a good chance that you are part of the recall, check the web site to be sure.

Ok, now for the major update........
Went to the "other" MB dealer service department and meant with the service writer I spoke to yesterday. All I can say is: what a great experience.
Took all of my info, gave me my own copy of the official MB "Recall Campaign Bulletin", which is 8 pages long. I will not scan these in for any reason, but will answer questions to the best of my knowledge for anyone interested. I hope you understand, as I want to keep in good relations with this service writer.

That being said, I will start that there is some differences between this bulletin and what is out there already. Although the second letter from MB stated about both cams may need replacement, this bulletin is only for the Intake Camshaft. From our conversion and also talking to a tech at the same time, it appears that once they get into the work, they will determine if the exhaust cam needs replacement or not, depending on the placement of the weld for that cam. Right now there is no doubt that the intake cam will be replaced. Although I have read that there are 850 vehicles involved, this bulletin is saying about 372 are affected.
So there seems to be a need for MB to get the facts totally correct about what they put on their website and about the bulletins their dealers receive directly from them, IMO......

The tech did say that this is an intense job, but also assured me that it will be done correctly and that I will more than satisfied with the outcome. Even though these are roller cams, he still recommended doing a "mild" break-in after the work is performed. Since there are so many timing marks that need to be set on this engine, it is a given that the latest software up-dates will be added with the job to make sure all is well.
I will tell you this, there are 11 special tools needs to perform the work required, and about 86 parts needed to do the job. These parts range from the actual camshaft itself to all of the bolts, clamps, rings, and seals needed.
I will say that I am impressed with their list as it shows that they are not using any "old" parts and replacing everything necessary to get the job done.

Do I like getting this done to my GLA250, of course not, but I really don't have a choice. But I do feel better after meeting with the service department, and being a car enthusiast myself, I can understand the situation.
And even though it had been raining, they even washed my vehicle while I was there, how about that!!!!

Do not let any of the above scare you away from getting the recall completed. I only mentioned all of the above to hopefully put your mind at ease and assure you that they are sparing no expense to get this done correctly. And no, I don't work for MB....:laugh:

And I am the first one at this dealership for this recall, and parts once again were specifically ordered for my vehicle, rather then waiting for batches to come in and be first come, first serve.

That is it for now, hope this helps in someway for us owners that are affected.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very good update. If I had to have the recall I would look for a dealer that that is as proactive as you have found. Makes all the difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
latest update......

Very good update. If I had to have the recall I would look for a dealer that that is as proactive as you have found. Makes all the difference.
Yes it does and thanks........

Parts are in for the intake camshaft only, as it appears that when they do the intake, they will then determine whether or not the exhaust camshaft needs replacement or not.....if it does then they will order parts and keep the vehicle until the job is done. It goes in on Tuesday the 12th, supposed to take 9 hours to do the job.....wish me luck.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts