Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow one of the rear brake pads has fallen out??? Dunno how that happens, but anyway, I had brake fluid leaking out and my brake pedal went a bit limp. I got a brake fluid message, we topped up the brake fluid, but on starting the car we couldn't get it to go into neutral to get the car loaded on a tow truck. The message kept saying, depress the brake pedal to move shifter out of park. Brake pedal was fully depressed but it just wasn't being recognised by the car and so we couldn't get the car out of park.
Does anyone know how you can override it? We ended up having to get the car skidded on to the tow truck - I hope that hasn't done more damage! They did do a pretty good job of getting the tow truck tray right under the wheels so it didn't have to be dragged too much. Just so frustrating we couldn't get it into neutral to get it on to the truck safely. Surely there is a way???

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Did you have the brake pedal depressed and then used the shifter and move it to N? You can move the shifter to D, R, or N. Opening the door with the engine running it will shift to P automatically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have the brake pedal depressed and then used the shifter and move it to N? You can move the shifter to D, R, or N. Opening the door with the engine running it will shift to P automatically.
Yes, brake pedal fully depressed, but the car wasn't recognising it was pressed and therefore when I tried using the shifter to move it in to neutral, drive or reverse it wouldn't shift. I kept getting message on dash to depress brake pedal, but it was depressed.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Did you have the switch on with the engine running?

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Strange. The sensor should be mechanical directly off the pedal. The failed pad should not have an affect on the shifting.

Was the driver's door fully closed? I could see a tow truck driver getting in to shift to neutral and not pulling the door closed behind him.

I'm sure the dealer who is repairing the brake will check this out.

We look forward to hearing all of your findings. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange. The sensor should be mechanical directly off the pedal. The failed pad should not have an affect on the shifting.

Was the driver's door fully closed? I could see a tow truck driver getting in to shift to neutral and not pulling the door closed behind him.

I'm sure the dealer who is repairing the brake will check this out.

We look forward to hearing all of your findings. Good luck.
Now that I think about it, It's possible that each time we tried, including the tow truck driver, the door may have been open. I'll be kicking myself if it was that, as I know having the door open puts it in park 🤦‍♀️ Maybe in the stress of the situation I wasn't thinking straight. It's the weekend here in Australia so it won't be getting looked at until Monday, but I'll head down to where the car is this afternoon and check it again with the door closed and see if that resolves it.
Thanks Wayne & GBarringer for your help. Will keep you posted what we find

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Please let us know what if the final results with trying to shift the gears, and any idea what happened with the brakes. This way if the future anyone else has either problem. we as a group might be able to help in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I tried again yesterday to shift it into gear with the door closed, still wouldn't shift out of park. It's just not recognising that the brake pedal is depressed. The brake pedal has gone kind of limp since losing the brake pad, so I guess that's why. I will definitely pop back in here next week and let you know once my mechanic has checked it out and worked out why & how the brake pad fell out in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
A limp brake pedal is most often attributed to air bubbles in the hydraulic fluid due to the line(s) downstream of the master cylinder being open at some point. Air is compressible whereas hydraulic fluid is not (too much compression = limp pedal). And of course missing a pad is going to render an uneven feel. It appears to me to be something wrong with your brake caliper which not only allowed a brake pad to come loose but also allowed air into the system. I'm sure the mechanic will readily find the root cause as there are a relatively small number of items it could be in a braking system.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
After rereading your post and others. It looks like you have an open brake system because of the missing rear brake when depressing the pedal the fluid is leaking brake fluid and no pedal pressure. Without brake pressure, the system does not resister the brake pedal is depressed. If this is true then the message is correct and you were not able to shift the gears. It will be interesting what happens when the repair is completed.

Reactions: Jayne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A limp brake pedal is most often attributed to air bubbles in the hydraulic fluid due to the line(s) downstream of the master cylinder being open at some point. Air is compressible whereas hydraulic fluid is not (too much compression = limp pedal). And of course missing a pad is going to render an uneven feel. It appears to me to be something wrong with your brake caliper which not only allowed a brake pad to come loose but also allowed air into the system. I'm sure the mechanic will readily find the root cause as there are a relatively small number of items it could be in a braking system.
Thanks Huey. I should have some answers tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After rereading your post and others. It looks like you have an open brake system because of the missing rear brake when depressing the pedal the fluid is leaking brake fluid and no pedal pressure. Without brake pressure, the system does not resister the brake pedal is depressed. If this is true then the message is correct and you were not able to shift the gears. It will be interesting what happens when the repair is completed.
Thank you. Will keep you posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts