Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our 2016 GLA yesterday and have been getting things situated. We've run into a couple issues using an iPod or iPhone. My wife has a 120GB iPod classic that stayed in the car with her music. The dealer gave us a lightning connector cable, but no 30-pin cable for older devices. The connectors in the console look like standard USB connectors so I just used a regular USB to 30-pin cable to hook up the iPod. The car found it at first, but now sometimes it finds it and sometimes it doesn't. I asked the service manager at the dealer about it and predictably he suggested I needed a MB cable. I find it hard to believe you need a MB specific USB cable, but maybe. Does anybody know if standard USB cables work? I searched for a MB specific USB to 30-pin and as best I can tell it doesn't exist. There are cables for the old MB proprietary connector, but nothing USB. Anybody else out there using an iPod classic?

The other issue is with the album artwork. The wife also has an iPhone 6 so we plugged that in temporarily and it was found just fine. However, the album artwork is screwed up. The top half of the artwork is blurry and faded looking. This happens whether playing a song or browsing albums via artwork so it's not an issue with the screen. It also happened with the iPod classic when it was working so it's not device specific. As best I can tell it's a bug in the code. Anybody else seeing this?

Kind of a lame that a brand new MB has issues doing what a $400 aftermarket head unit from four years ago could do.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Congratulations on your new GLA and welcome to the forum. Please tell us about your new GLA and perhaps share some photos.

No ready solutions nor answers to your questions (expect delivery on our GLA250 next week), but many of us would like to know if you have Apple CarPlay working, or built into your Telephone menu. As far as some of us can tell, you would need the Multimedia Package for it to operate, but we don't know that for sure. You'll read questions about Apple CarPlay and Google MirrorLink in many threads here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations on your new GLA and welcome to the forum. Please tell us about your new GLA and perhaps share some photos.

No ready solutions nor answers to your questions (expect delivery on our GLA250 next week), but many of us would like to know if you have Apple CarPlay working, or built into your Telephone menu. As far as some of us can tell, you would need the Multimedia Package for it to operate, but we don't know that for sure. You'll read questions about Apple CarPlay and Google MirrorLink in many threads here.
Yes please do tell us if CarPlay is working for you.... And no don't know about your iPod issue... Have you tried Bluetooth streaming from the iPhone?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing special about the car so didn't think to post about it as other folks have posted info on their 2016s. I'll post an intro and some pics in the general forum, but the basics: AWD, Northern Lights Violet, Ash MB-tex interior, sport package, premium package, Xenon headlights, backup camera, blindspot assist. It's the wife's car.

Bluetooth streaming from the iPhone works, but you don't get album art and the sound isn't as good, though it is ok. I have not had a chance to play around with the system to check on CarPlay. I would be surprised if it works, but will see what happens and report back. There wasn't a 2016 COMAND manual online when I looked so not even MB seems to acknowledge it exists. :)

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, but what is actually needed is a female lightning to male 30-pin adapter. There are a couple 3rd party ones on Amazon, but Apple never made one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...o+30+pin+male&sprefix=lightning+femal,aps,210

I ordered a couple as they are cheap, but don't have high hopes for them working. Some people say they can get audio and others say they just charge. Some people can't even get them to charge. I'll just have to wait and see.

I want to try a different USB cable as well just to see if the one I used is flaky. I won't get a chance to play around with it till this evening.

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The wife is an iDevice user so that's what I have to work with. Switched the iPod to the first USB port and the car recognizes it again, but we will have to see if it keeps it or loses it at some point.

CarPlay is in the phone menu and there is help that tells you how to active it, but you can't actually do it. All the hooks appear to be there for it, but it just isn't in the software. There is a second USB port in the console that has an icon with a phone and screen and the CarPlay help says you have to use the second port. My guess is that it will just be a software upgrade for it. Dunno if MB will charge to do that or if it would be covered under warranty. I suspect the album art issue is a software bug so it may require a software upgrade to just fix that. ;)

Edit: attached an image of the screwed up artwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.

I bought a couple of the female lightning to male 30-pin adapters from gizmomix.

Amazon.com: White Lightning 8 Pin Female to 30 Pin Male Adapter for Iphone 4s 3 Ipod Touch 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am using this with the Mercedes USB-lightning cable. The iPod is now recognized all the time and audio & charging are working. The Mercedes cable is very short and thicker than the Apple cable. I can only guess that the signal was intermittent with the Apple cable because of the length or the wires are smaller causing the signal to not be carried well. Whatever the reason, it looks like you want to use the Mercedes cable with your iDevice. If you have an old 30-pin device then use the lightning cable with an adapter. I could not find a Mercedes USB-30pin cable.

David

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The wife is an iDevice user so that's what I have to work with. Switched the iPod to the first USB port and the car recognizes it again, but we will have to see if it keeps it or loses it at some point.

CarPlay is in the phone menu and there is help that tells you how to active it, but you can't actually do it. All the hooks appear to be there for it, but it just isn't in the software. There is a second USB port in the console that has an icon with a phone and screen and the CarPlay help says you have to use the second port. My guess is that it will just be a software upgrade for it. Dunno if MB will charge to do that or if it would be covered under warranty. I suspect the album art issue is a software bug so it may require a software upgrade to just fix that. ;)

Edit: attached an image of the screwed up artwork.
I'm getting the same kind of artwork image issue only using an iPhone USB charging cable that came with the phone. Given the small value added for short hops and such, I'm okay just going with the bluetooth connection, which seems about the same in audio quality from the direct cable connection.

However, I noticed there's a huge volume difference from the Audio20 radio mode, somewhat solved by turning the bluetooth volume up all the way on my iPhone, plus turning on the Audio20's bluetooth audio boost, but still a very noticeable contrast. Volume was a steady signal strength approximately equal to the radio volume in our 2012 C-Class Audio20, so I was surprised in the difference. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts