Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, new to the forum guys. I signed up specifically for this issue.
My wife bought her 2015 GLA in December '14. This fall, Oct '15, she started experiencing a hung starter. That is, the starter would engage and continue to engage for several seconds, approx 5-7. Occasionally she would get an accident avoidance system malfunction warning. The dealer said there was a tsb about the issue and it required a new bracket to be installed. I don't know what bracket. They did under warranty and all was good for a few weeks. Now the starter is hanging again, but now occasionally will not motor at all. Key to off position then back to start sometimes 2-3 times for it to turn over. I was supposed to take it back in today but we have a blizzard in Colorado Springs right now.
Anybody else with new info on this issue?
By the way, the service manager told me the starter is not used for restart in Eco mode. It used the next cylinder to fire to start the engine because it would kill the starter.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi, new to the forum guys. I signed up specifically for this issue.
My wife bought her 2015 GLA in December '14. This fall, Oct '15, she started experiencing a hung starter. That is, the starter would engage and continue to engage for several seconds, approx 5-7. Occasionally she would get an accident avoidance system malfunction warning. The dealer said there was a tsb about the issue and it required a new bracket to be installed. I don't know what bracket. They did under warranty and all was good for a few weeks. Now the starter is hanging again, but now occasionally will not motor at all. Key to off position then back to start sometimes 2-3 times for it to turn over. I was supposed to take it back in today but we have a blizzard in Colorado Springs right now.
Anybody else with new info on this issue?
By the way, the service manager told me the starter is not used for restart in Eco mode. It used the next cylinder to fire to start the engine because it would kill the starter.
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Roostier. Appreciate this perspective on starting issues, it adds to the community body of knowledge. Please tell us more specifics about your GLA and keep us posted as you get new information.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The car only has about 5,000 miles, so I doubt that fouled spark plugs would be it, but my wife by mistake the first time she gassed up put in reg fuel instead of premium. To counter that we filled up with premium at 3/4, then 1/2, and then 1/4 tank, so I think the risk there was minimal. It was top tier gas, by the way.

Interestingly, this only happens sporadically, and NEVER when in eco mode starts, thankfully.

We video each time we start it, but it's almost like the car KNOWS and starts normally! :confused:
The Eco, Comfort, and Sport modes are switched electronically. It is my understanding, that some of those inconsistent behavior patterns could be simply attributed to the minor software difficiences, which do not appear as failures during the tests. I suggest to ask your dealer for rebooting the drive control software as a proactive measure, maybe even install the upgrade, if they have it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Our car has had the same issue! We brought it in and was told there was a glitch in the signal sent from the computer to the starter... however it has not been fixed and it continues to happen...
Can you please give more details?
  • how did the dealer figure out that it was a "glitch"?
  • Did they offer any fixes?
  • if not, did they say that MBZ is working on a fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounding like a dying battery and shouldn't have anything to do with lack of fuel. To confirm that the mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about try this, turn the key to "on" and wait a few seconds and then turn the key to 'start'. When you turn it to 'on' the fuel pump will start running and make sure the fuel line is full. Another thing to try is to watch the lights in the car when it's cranking, if they dim then either the battery is indeed weak or the starter is drawing too much because of a fault. It would be something as simple as a bad battery connection that is intermittent. As for the fact that it starts immediately in Eco mode (which I hate) is that the starter motor is not starting it, it uses the compression of the engine to start it, hard to explain but it's not the starter motor. The compression is stored and the computer fires the spark plugs on a compressed cylinder from what I understand. So if it starts that way properly it really narrows it down to the battery, starter or connection between them from my perspective. You need to start keeping track of when it does happen so that maybe you can duplicate it at the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife's GLA is back in the shop today for the hung starter/accident avoidance inop. issue. As mentioned previously, a CM bracket was replaced and software updated the first time. I will fill in all the gaps when troubleshooting is complete and I have the car back. I also owe you guys the TSB number for the bracket replacement. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My wife's GLA is back in the shop today for the hung starter/accident avoidance inop. issue. As mentioned previously, a CM bracket was replaced and software updated the first time. I will fill in all the gaps when troubleshooting is complete and I have the car back. I also owe you guys the TSB number for the bracket replacement. Fingers crossed.
Hi Roostier, thanks for this information. I didn't put two and two together til today when my wife texted me that a warning light came on briefly on the dash, then I remembered I saw the same thing. I think it's right above the gas gauge, but on and off too quickly to be certain what it was. I assumed it was collision avoidance working correctly, but now it seems like maybe the same thing as you??

So my symptoms are:
  • slow starting occasionally, 3-5 seconds but then it does start.
  • quick on and off red warning light

If these sound familiar, and especially if they are related, please let me know. If you have a TSB that would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wilco, Oceansol.
Those are exactly the symptoms I have experienced. The service writer mentioned "bulletin" last time but it may be a "campaign" or some such. They asked to keep the car overnight. But I have a 16 C300 as a loaner so I'm not complaining. Service dept here in Colorado Springs has been extremely professional. More to Follow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Roostier, I'll be sitting here next to my computer doing nothing else but await your reply. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Roostier, sorry to be a pest, but do you have an update for us?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the late response. The shop called to ask if they could keep it for the weekend because they are having a hard time replicating the problem.
It has been intermittent but happens three time a week or so. If they can't replicate, I will send the info for the bracket replacement they did the first time. Meanwhile, I think my wife is falling in love with the c300 loaner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks. Mine's back in for both issues. Ill report any findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I look forward to hearing what you find as well. I should hear something back tomorrow. It dawned on me that her complaints coincided with a very cold spell here in Colorado. It warmed up the day before i took the car into the dealer. My thought was that the reason they are having trouble replicating the issue may be the weather. I wondered if you see the same patterning. Whoops, just saw you are in Socal so probably a non-starter. (no pun intended)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bad news. Dealer found no tsb's on cas, nor any codes on starting issue. Nothing could be repeated, noting to do.

It was 86F on Monday, so unlikely cold weather played a role. We drove Monday afternoon after picking up the car 8 hours to flagstaff, Arizona. Over 7000 feet, sub zero Temps at night, still starting just fine.

I guess I should be happy that it's been so good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oceansol
Been away for bit, sorry. While I was gone, my wife picked up the GLA. Same results. Could not duplicate.
They had it for 7 days and out 120 miles on it to no avail. If this does crop up again, let me know and I'll do the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Roostier, I'll do the same. On the CAS, they couldn't repeat that either and had no TSBs. They did mention that sometimes driving past a firestation or somewhere where radio may be broadcasting might cause some false warnings on the CAS. Said they'd seen some TSBs on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting on the EMI interference. I need to ask her if it happens mostly at work. She works around a lot of very sophisticated comms equipment.
I am afraid however that I may not be able to lend further experience with GLA as she is, as I write this, trading the GLA for a Lexus NT. I really appreciate your correspondence. Best of luck Oceansol!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for your help, Roostier! Enjoy the Lexus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 GTA purchased in Jan. I have had nothing but problems with the engine. The car will refuse to turn over and it will take 3 tries at times (12 km total). For a new car I have been less than impressed with the engine and battery. The engine has also been revving high when travelling at low speeds as if the gears are not engaging or shifting properly. I do a tremendous amount of driving for work and I am noticing the turbo hasn't been kicking in while merging on the highway in the same way it did when I first purchased the car.

I have already taken the car to the dealership for issues with the Collison prevention system repeatedly going off when there are zero cars around me (several false alarms) I requested the firmwear be updated. The Oakville dealership has been less than helpful and made me feel stupid for reporting issues with the system. I can't wait until I get the vehicle's engine serviced and are treated poorly again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oceansol,

I purchased my 2016 GLA250 in March 2016 and with 1,000 kms on it, mine went completely dead overnight and the dealer says they know it is an electrical problem, but they can't determine the cause.

Mine has the Auto Start/Stop but in view of the forum posts it sounds too familar.

Any updates?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts