Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been complaining that occasionally her GLA250 starts like it has a dying battery. But it hasn't happened when I've started it until TODAY. I agree with her that it sounds like a dying battery, but the car does eventually start. I would guess that instead of the 1-2 second starter motor cranking of a normal engine start, it is more of a 3-5 second start, and it almost sounds like the starter motor turns over a bit slower than normal, but can't be certain of that.

I dropped it off at the dealer to check it out. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'm the only one?????

Thinking over night about this makes me think it could be a safety issue—especially in eco-mode. What if it doesn't start???

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reviving this thread. This issue has become more frequent, and the car is at the dealer for an extended test drive. Has NO ONE seen this issue? In talking with the tech, he's thinking maybe a check valve in the fuel system isn't always working, and fuel runs back to the tank instead of being right there at the engine when getting ready to start.

If you've seen this, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have not heard of the issues you are having and based on lack of responses to this thread this might be one of those unique to your GLA. Certainly share with us once issue is resolved.

I also ran a TSB and Recall inquiry on all GLA models and only found these three:

>TSB The digital dash info center giving a faulty alert relative to a power steering malfunction and to service system soon.

>TSB Premature wear on the simplex timing chain of the OM651 turbo diesel

RECALL: Issued Jan 2015 for 2014 GLA with the OM651 turbo diesel engine. Seal ring between the timing chain tensioner and the engine may leak oil and could result in a hazard and fire risk

Sorry to hear of your issue

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's back

After getting the car back from the dealer a month or so ago, where he couldn't repeat the problem, we thought they did something secret to fix it, because it didn't do it for a long time. But then this weekend it resumed the slow starting issue.

In Eco mode, it starts immediately; this only only happens when first starting the car. It cranks for maybe 5 seconds before starting, but only occasionally. We can't ascertain any pattern to the problem, either.

Very frustrating. I hope I'm the only one, but at the same time hoping someone else has seen this and knows of a permanent fix.

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
No similar experience here (knock on wood) but have read here and on the CLA forum about premature battery depletion as a result of electronic equipment running on unnecessarily after the engine is turned off. If the car sits for several days between cranking and then the problem occurs, it might be worth mentioning to the service department although one would think they would have performed a current drain test and tested the battery for a defect. Or if you have another dealer in proximity maybe give them a try. May not get a loaner car though.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I think we all share your concern on this one and appreciate your updates. Please let us know if anything else pops up. Hope you can definitively pin down the issue, most of us have had those "can not duplicate" gremlins at times in our auto lives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious how many miles?

Does it just turn over more than normal, or is it really just longer in each cycle?

If it is the former and you are so inclined, can you check each spark plug by removing them and see if any of them are fouled? There is a not so uncommon problem with direct injection where premature carbon buildup can cause the cylinder/plugs/intakes to become fouled and it requires multiple sparks before it starts and eventually the spark plug has to be replaced and the carbon cleaned out. This is unlikely until you have hit at least 25k miles and even then it would point it a moderate problem like a faulty injector leaking fuel into one of the cylinders.

Here is an example of the longer turnover cycle example I am referring to:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3AF6B1325DABECD5!232943&authkey=!AMd4KTbyGCPFaPs&ithint=video%2cmp4

That is from a BMW 335i, but it is the same general issue with any direct injected car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious how many miles?

Does it just turn over more than normal, or is it really just longer in each cycle?

If it is the former and you are so inclined, can you check each spark plug by removing them and see if any of them are fouled? There is a not so uncommon problem with direct injection where premature carbon buildup can cause the cylinder/plugs/intakes to become fouled and it requires multiple sparks before it starts and eventually the spark plug has to be replaced and the carbon cleaned out. This is unlikely until you have hit at least 25k miles and even then it would point it a moderate problem like a faulty injector leaking fuel into one of the cylinders.

Here is an example of the longer turnover cycle example I am referring to:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3AF6B1325DABECD5!232943&authkey=!AMd4KTbyGCPFaPs&ithint=video%2cmp4

That is from a BMW 335i, but it is the same general issue with any direct injected car.
The car only has about 5,000 miles, so I doubt that fouled spark plugs would be it, but my wife by mistake the first time she gassed up put in reg fuel instead of premium. To counter that we filled up with premium at 3/4, then 1/2, and then 1/4 tank, so I think the risk there was minimal. It was top tier gas, by the way.

Interestingly, this only happens sporadically, and NEVER when in eco mode starts, thankfully.

We video each time we start it, but it's almost like the car KNOWS and starts normally! :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having had two cars requiring decarbonization, I doubt that is the problem. Both cars (VW, Audi) had unsteady idles and had "bucking" during acceleration, especially for the first few miles of driving before warming up. Both cars had issues at around 50k miles. Neither had any starting/ignition issues, so not sure if that is a later issue (ie, more severely carbonized intake valves). It's certainly a good thought, as any problem with a direct injection engine should include carbon build up in the differential diagnosis. Just way too soon at 5000 miles. Had a similar starting problem in an old Camry- turned out to be faulty ignition coil. That was 25 years ago, so ignition technology is probably totally different now. Hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wondering how the troubleshooting is going. Have you gotten closer to the issue and a fix?
Wish I could say yes, but I guess I don't need it! It happened a couple of weeks ago several times over the weekend, but now that we've been videoing EVERY FREAKING ENGINE START it starts perfectly.

It just hope it never happens again. Other than that one issue, we LOVE the car and everything (else) works perfectly!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe it was a tank of bad gas that's now worked it's way through? I had that happen a long time ago with a VW I had and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe. It would start fine today, but not tomorrow. It wouldn't be as much of an issue once it was warmed up.
My mechanic at the time didn't even want me to bring in the car. He just asked if I had gone to a gas station I didn't usually go to. The fix was easy. Don't go there again and it will be fine after another good fill up or two. I think it had something to do with the moisture content in the gas station's tanks and how low the level was when I happened to fill up. Then the severity of the symptoms would depend on the weather forming condensation in the car's gas tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Maybe it was a tank of bad gas that's now worked it's way through?" - possibly. My wife's first fill-up 5,000 miles ago was mistakenly 87 octane, but since it's always been 91 or higher. Even the 87 was Top Tier Gas though. I find it hard to believe that one fill-up so many miles ago could have caused it, but who knows?

·
Registered
182 Posts
"Maybe it was a tank of bad gas that's now worked it's way through?" - possibly. My wife's first fill-up 5,000 miles ago was mistakenly 87 octane, but since it's always been 91 or higher. Even the 87 was Top Tier Gas though. I find it hard to believe that one fill-up so many miles ago could have caused it, but who knows?
The issue with my VW all those years ago wasn't the octane, but that the station's storage tank had accumulated some water and it got in my tank. I have a friend who will never fill up at a station while the tanker truck is there. He claims that while they're filling the storage tank any water or debris in there will get churned up and wind up in your car's tank. I don't know if that's true, but it could explain how you'd get bad gas even from your regular station.
Maybe try using a different gas station for your next couple fill ups and see what happens?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Maybe try using a different gas station for your next couple fill ups and see what happens?
I agree that fuel quality could have an impact on how fast the engine kicks in. But as I recall, Oceansol's original concern was that the engine starter sounds like the battery is dying, which I interpret as sounding like it's turning slower and slower with each try. That would not seem to have anything to do with quality or octane of fuel, unless it's taking successive tries to start.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree that fuel quality could have an impact on how fast the engine kicks in. But as I recall, Oceansol's original concern was that the engine starter sounds like the battery is dying, which I interpret as sounding like it's turning slower and slower with each try. That would not seem to have anything to do with quality or octane of fuel, unless it's taking successive tries to start.
If that was the impression I gave, I was wrong. It doesn't seem like the battery is dying; it cranks the same speed for an extended period (maybe 3 or 4 seconds) occasionally.

As far as water in the fuel tanks at a gas station, I was told many, many years ago the same thing: don't fill up at a station that has a tanker truck filling the station's tanks, but I can't imagine today that such a scenario hasn't been identified and thoroughly rectified by now with filters and better filling plumbing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same!

Our car has had the same issue! We brought it in and was told there was a glitch in the signal sent from the computer to the starter... however it has not been fixed and it continues to happen...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts