Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good explanation as to what exactly causes it. I've read unburned fuel but this would apply to all cars and all cars don't do this. I more suspect the higher boost pressure with this engine but it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust and not a typical blow off valve. I like the character it gives to the 45 under hard acceleration but I can't quite come to grips with whats causing it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anybody have a good explanation as to what exactly causes it. I've read unburned fuel but this would apply to all cars and all cars don't do this. I more suspect the higher boost pressure with this engine but it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust and not a typical blow off valve. I like the character it gives to the 45 under hard acceleration but I can't quite come to grips with whats causing it.
your heavy foot....>:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
You want to try downshifting in manual mode around 3k revs in a higher gear even just as addictive to the brraaap ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
You want to try downshifting in manual mode around 3k revs in a higher gear even just as addictive to the brraaap ;)
Oh yea! Total fun and makes you think your a F1 driver :D

At a stop light had a young lad in a WRX Sti asked my what type of car is it and what a sound from the exhaust. Gave him the engine specs and he smiled.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh yea! Total fun and makes you think your a F1 driver :D

At a stop light had a young lad in a WRX Sti asked my what type of car is it and what a sound from the exhaust. Gave him the engine specs and he smiled.
The GLA is inspirational :D

So inspirational I wouldn't be surprised if some guys take their GLA's out on track days from already discovering its potential on the road!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Track days…. I plan to… been a track rat for many (as in decades) years. Was in the Skippy school driving events along with club track days. Palm Beach International Raceway is about 20 minute drive from where we live in Jupiter Florida.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I asked the question of the AMG engineers as to what causes the "braaaap" sound on the performance exhaust and here is their response>>

Dear mrierson,

We are happy to answer your question.

This special sound is a result of extra fuel that is burnt in the exhaust system.

Best regards,
Your AMG Private Lounge Team

I told them we AMG45 drivers very much desire that sound >:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts