Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody aware of a procedure where you get service B done at an independent shop, but then bring the receipt to be uploaded by the Mercedes dealer into their network, so that it can stay attached with the car ?

·
Registered
2020 MB GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
29 Posts
They won‘t do it most likely because they can only record procedures that they have actually performed or sublet to someone else. They won’t take responsibility for a job they didn‘t do, especially if something goes wrong. So if you want it to be on the Mercedes-Benz system record, you need to have it carried out by them. I’m not sure what the cost for a B service is on your car, but it was pretty overpriced for what I got in my opinion. Having a dealer serviced car might increase your car’s appeal when it comes to selling, but probably won’t increase the value by more than a couple hundred dollars at most, if at all. The only benefit is it just makes a potential buyer feel secure that the car was looked after properly.

In my opinion, there are a few main reasons why dealer service is better, especially if the car is still under warranty;
1. If your independent tech misses a step or uses aftermarket replacement parts (filters, oil or seals) that don‘t meet the Mercedes service standards and something goes wrong, the dealer will immediately check if the servicing was carried out by them. If it wasn’t, repairing the damage will be on your dime or on the independent technician if you can get him to pay up.

2. Free loaner car and car wash. These are two major conveniences, particularly the former, because you don’t need to call a ride or a taxi. The car wash isn’t exactly a big deal, but it saves you a little time and money.

3. Any warranty services or recalls can be completed at the same time, saving you a separate trip. A recall or warranty service should only be completed by an authorized service centre or authorized sublet. Dealers generally dont lik doing warranty services because they can’t make a lot of money off of it, so make sure you ask them every time if there are any active recalls when you drop off the car.

TL;DR: no, MB won‘t add independent services to your car’s record. If you keep receipts and detailed work orders from your independent tech that prove the work was done correctly in case something goes wrong, you should be ok. If you are under warranty, it’s advised to do a dealer service to prevent unwanted complications if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The matter of whether a car under warranty can be maintained by third party shop while under warranty has been resolved here in the US a few years ago via a lawsuit. It can be.
The reason I ask is because the car is under warranty and because I want to make the records more unified.
Also because of the above, I am not sure that a US dealer ...can ... refuse to add a service to the car's history, based on it not being carried out by a dealer.

As far as the finances of this, this goes back to my other confusion:
Yes, there are the services A and B, but then there are other items of maintenance, that are shown in the car's maintenance schedule, but are not in the Services A and B.
And you're responsible for those too, for the warranty.

So in my case, in addition to the car being due for B, I am also due for a transmission oil change and a diff oil change.
I am fully capable of performing ALL the work of these 3 myself and willing to use genuine parts in the process.
But I feel that my case would be weak if something happens with the diff of the transmission.

I mean, at the time I bought the car, the dealer salesman correctly advised me that indy shops can perform maintenance and that even I can do oil changes.

So I'm going to split the pie like this:
B is for the independent
Transmission and diff for the dealer.

Unless I do all the work and film everything, this may be an option too.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
29 Posts
The matter of whether a car under warranty can be maintained by third party shop while under warranty has been resolved here in the US a few years ago via a lawsuit. It can be.
The reason I ask is because the car is under warranty and because I want to make the records more unified.
Also because of the above, I am not sure that a US dealer ...can ... refuse to add a service to the car's history, based on it not being carried out by a dealer.

As far as the finances of this, this goes back to my other confusion:
Yes, there are the services A and B, but then there are other items of maintenance, that are shown in the car's maintenance schedule, but are not in the Services A and B.
And you're responsible for those too, for the warranty.

So in my case, in addition to the car being due for B, I am also due for a transmission oil change and a diff oil change.
I am fully capable of performing ALL the work of these 3 myself and willing to use genuine parts in the process.
But I feel that my case would be weak if something happens with the diff of the transmission.

I mean, at the time I bought the car, the dealer salesman correctly advised me that indy shops can perform maintenance and that even I can do oil changes.

So I'm going to split the pie like this:
B is for the independent
Transmission and diff for the dealer.

Unless I do all the work and film everything, this may be an option too.
I know your warranty is intact by law. What I’m saying is that if your independent tech screws something up and the dealer can prove that improper servicing was the cause, you’ll have a lot more trouble getting the Indy to pay for MB repairs. Shouldn’t be an issue if it’s a good, professional mechanic.

The Indy tech can add the service to Carfax if that’s what you’re asking, and any good mechanic will do so. But the dealership is under no obligation to record a service they never performed. That’s basically asking them to say that they performed the service even though they didn’t.

If you think it’s worth it, go ahead. and you can try your luck with the dealer if you think it’s worth it. But keep in mind the added risk and inconvenience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts