Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share with me the VIN for a 2015 that has the in-mirror "puddle" lights? I am looking for the lights which were never an option in the USA-delivered GLA's. The "puddle lights" in the USA are in the bottom of the door. I'm looking for a VIN for a GLA which has lights installed on the underside of each of the sideview mirrors.

If I have a VIN I will be able to look up the part numbers and wiring diagram to see where the part numbers are the same in the whole mirror (meaning, which parts I would need to replace). This is part of my quest to install these lights on the underside of my sideview mirrors (and install amber bulbs, and wire them to flash with the in-mirror turn signals). Just another of my silly projects, but I am stuck without part numbers from a non-US GLA. Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is not the case.
Buy the factory software suite from ebay.
It will have the factory service manual and the parts manual.
In it, you will see that for a given item (such as a mirror), there will be all the part numbers for all the versions of that item, for the whole world.
There will be a learning curve, because these are designed for trained personnel, but in a few days you should be able to figure everything out.
For instance, instead of searching for your car, by your vin, which will in turn display only the parts suitable for your car, search for the car, by its group and engine.

Alternately, have friends at a MB parts department and ask them to search for the mirrors, using the tip above.
If they do this right, there will be many part numbers for the same mirror. Each will then reference an option number with a description of the option.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vladds,

Thanks for letting me know it can work that way. I did purchase the service manual from someone on etsy and that is what I have used to find other parts, but only by starting with the VIN that would have that part (for example, that's how I found the bungie nets for the back seats that were never available for USA-bound GLAs). I haven't figured our how to search by a part first, then for all options in all areas. I'll play with it some more to see if I can get at it from that direction. The learning curve is indeed steep, but I can be very persistent!

I have no friends at MB parts departments (yet). I absolutely hate my local dealer, and I don't use the "h" word lightly. I guess it's time to make friends with another dealership.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction. I'll let you know what I find.

Christine

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update on this project:

Thanks to Vladds instructions on how I can use that software suite, I think (hope) I found the part numbers for the lower part of the mirrors (that have the cutout and the clip for the lights): A176-810-03-15 (left) and A176-810-04-15 (right). I found them on Amazon for ~$43 each and have ordered them.

Because my idea is to make these lights flash with my turn signals, I am trying to find amber lights to drop in there. I have contacted pretty much all the sellers of the led "upgrade" aftermarket lights for sale on eBay, asking if they can change them to amber LEDs. No luck so far on that. I might have to figure out how to do that myself or improvise somehow with some of that "lens repair film" or something. One step at a time.

I'll be back once I have more to report!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am happy to report that those part numbers (A176-810-03-15 (left) and A176-810-04-15 (right) ) were correct! Those bases come with the opening for the light, and a holder for the light which clips in to the base. All I needed was a wired socket for the bulbs (found a perfect fit for $7 for a bundle of 6 on Amazon) and bulbs (these were by far the brightest amber 194 bulbs I found and I had tried a few).

I would suggest adding some electrical connectors to you materials list. I had purchased some but they didn't have the exact same way to grab the wires as the existing connectors did, so I carefully reused the OEM connectors. See photos below.

So, this project did come in just a little under $100. I justified it by saying it makes the car more visible when I signaling my intentions. Oh, and my mirror had been hit at some point in its life with a previous owner, so the bottom cover was a little bit cracked. So, since I had to replace it anyway...never do any repair without incorporating an upgrade, right?

So, this project involves:
1) take the mirror covers off. There are a few YouTube videos to help with that. Just make sure you pull up on the whole thing because the turn signal light plug is perfectly vertical and so you don't want to bend that.

2) remove the mirror glass. This is best done by gently coaxing some of the clips off the round thing the whole unit snaps onto. Once I loosened a few of those, the whole thing popped off very easily. You can probably just yank, but I prefer to coax! You'll have to unplug the heater wire connections if you have heated mirrors. Also, there's a bracket holding on a wiring harness for the wires which control the movement of the mirrors and the blind spot assist alerts. Just unplug that so you can remove the mirror glass completely and set it aside. SPECIAL NOTE; There's a metal retainer clip of some sort which is connected to the side of the mirror glass. For some reason, mine was loose floating around in the mirror so I didn't know where it came from and it took me forever to figure that out! It is a thin piece of metal shaped somewhat triangular and it should go on the back side of the mirror glass.

3) remove the base cover that you'll be replacing. This is held on by 2 torx screws and 3 plastic clips. It's easy to see where all these are if you just look at your new base cover.

4) unclip the plug for the LED turn signals and carefully open it up and remove the wire/pin combination carefully, making sure to keep the wire and the connector attached and intact (this took two pair of hands, one guiding the wire out gently from the base of the plug and the other pushing it out gently from the clip). Here's where I thought I would use new pin connectors, but the ones I had didn't quite wrap around the wires in the same way as the OEM ones, so we carefully unwrapped the pin connector from the existing wires, added the wiring for the new LED light fixtures, and closed them back up. Basically, unwrapping the connector from the single wire, adding the second wire, and wrapping it back up. I am glad I didn't end up breaking those pin connectors. TEST YOUR LIGHT now because most of these LED bulbs are polarity-dependent so you'll want to make sure you have the bulb in the socket correctly before you install it fully in the base cover and button the whole thing up.

5) put on your new base covers, clip in the light bracket, and you're pretty much done once you put everything back together the way it came out!

I have put some photos below. I always forget to take pictures at the important times (I get too into the project), but I think it might be self-explanatory as to what's going on in between steps.

Here are the parts purchased:
Cable Gadget Technology Audio equipment Peripheral
Leg Hood Human body Auto part Jewellery
Hood Vehicle Grille Automotive design Input device

Mirror cover removed, mirror glass gets removed by separating the outer ring from the inner ring of this bracket here. Loosening the ones around the top using a small trim removal tool was all it took to allow the whole thing to come off.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Now that the mirror and its bracket are out, the two torx screws you can see here must be removed to get the old base cover out.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Tread

That blue plug is where the wiring for the turn signals comes from the car. This is where my new lights will get power, which is perfect because I want them to flash with the turn signals.
Blue Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Electric blue

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy Wheel

These pin connectors are what I reused for adding my new wires to the bracket. I carefully unfolded each metal wrapping around the wire, added my wire to it, and tightened it back down to crimp both wires together to make the power which comes through the pin flow to two wires now (one for the existing LED turn signals and one for my new lights). I highly recommend that you get some of these connectors so you aren't counting on reusing something which could easily break while messing with it!
Automotive lighting Eyewear Hood Cable Electronic device

Sorry, got too into it to remember to take more pictures! Here's the finished product:

Building Window Hood Sky Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
Great follow-up on your project. Extraordinary detail in work and pictures.

Thanks for the post and follow-up. Maybe it will be of help for others wishing to do this project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts