Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most car manufacturers have given up on 3-door compact cars after years of market research and the whims of executives. It makes sense. Nothing ruins the feel of a premium vehicle like having to squeeze into the back seat.

What about this rendering of a 3-door GLA-Class though? Theophilus Chin didn't just photoshop the door out, he shortened the wheelbase of the car and added his own immobile rear quarter glass.

A 3-door GLA would be cheaper, and think about the options you could add to your GLA with that saved money! A short wheelbase would also theoretically be more agile, better off-road and easier to park.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just feel that you would always want something different than a 3-door compact car. You would want a 5-door CUV, or a coupe car. It just doesn't make sense to have two doors when you have a CUV because it is at least partially for having more cargo space or making it easy to load kids into the back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the Evoque barely sells as a 2 door, something like under 15% of Evoques are sold as two doors. I'm doubting this is green lit because Mercedes said there would be 4 vehicles on the MFA platform, A-class, GLA, CLA and CLA Shooting Brake.

If Merc wasn't going to do a small coupe based off MFA then i seriously doubt they're going to do a CUV coupe...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What type of customer would want to buy a 2-door CUV? I just have a hard time imagining the type of person who says, "This is exactly what I am looking for!" I don't see how this would appeal to people on a practical level.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What type of customer would want to buy a 2-door CUV? I just have a hard time imagining the type of person who says, "This is exactly what I am looking for!" I don't see how this would appeal to people on a practical level.
Range Rover did it, this could be a good rival to their Evoque coupe. It's just one of those unique cars that would make the brand seem cool. A number of brands have their weird and unique cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.