Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2015 GLA45 AMG. It was such an amazing deal that I could not pass it up but as many know the screen is less than to be desired with no apple car play etc... Bring in the upgrade :D

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCLXWYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I did some searching and I found this solution, most said it was pretty simple but the purchasing was daunting. I was lucky enough to stumble upon an amazon option with prime shipping and off to the races. I will update the whole process for those who are interested

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I have come to like the audio interface on the 2015 too much to risk losing the good interface I have vs what China thinks I should have for a UI. That alone keeps me away.

Otherwise, I'd love to have waze and pandora on my in car screen and controlled by the center console knob. That would be really nice.

---------------

I love the fact that I can hook up an ipod, SD card, and USB thumb drive all separately to the OEM radio. The ipod gets all my .wav high end audio files, the SD card gets all my mp3's, and the SD car gets my wife's entire music collection. so I can segregate everything (especailly segregating out my wife's crappy music) by source, and scroll as needed.

That's really nice to have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey could you re post that link. I really wish the 2015 had car play but I was scared to void warranty with a newer screen.
Update: I canceled the one from ebay. After more research I learned there was a new model that has faster processing and more storage for faster movement. I ordered it from CKM in England and It will probably take a bit to get here. I will let you know. Ill also link where I bought it from.

http://www.ckmcardesign.com/multimedia/1-comand-10-25-android-widescreen-touchscreen-a-class

·
Registered
215 Posts
that actually doesn't look half bad.

When you get that up and running, I might need you to take a few casual iphone videos of using the interface to see how similar it is to the OEM interface.

If it operates identical to the OEM interface and just adds the car play feature, it might be worth the investment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
See my post on this forum. I am not able to post links.

The 10.25 is the same as the 9.33. The 9.33 has the better screen in my opinion.

To get Carplay, you just need to purchase a dongle and install the app on the head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that actually doesn't look half bad.

When you get that up and running, I might need you to take a few casual iphone videos of using the interface to see how similar it is to the OEM interface.

If it operates identical to the OEM interface and just adds the car play feature, it might be worth the investment.
I will send a small vid with the car play dongle I purchased and let you know. I think it’ll be great

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See my post on this forum. I am not able to post links.

The 10.25 is the same as the 9.33. The 9.33 has the better screen in my opinion.

To get Carplay, you just need to purchase a dongle and install the app on the head unit.
Where did you install the dongle portion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The head unit comes with a USB cable with input port. The cable comes out underneath the glove apartment. That is where the dongle is plugged in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The head unit comes with a USB cable with input port. The cable comes out underneath the glove apartment. That is where the dongle is plugged in.
Ok so I got the screen and I ran my carplay connection straight to the center console where the old usb connection would be. Turned out pretty seamless. It actually wasn’t too bad of an install

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats. Pictures? Looking forward to your impressions.
Here are a couple pics of the screen in standard UI mode, everything works and is integrated perfectly. The other pic is the CarPlay. It looks great

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I got the screen and I ran my carplay connection straight to the center console where the old usb connection would be. Turned out pretty seamless. It actually wasn’t too bad of an install
How did you get the USB into the centre console?
Sorry for the late reply. The flat plastic piece that houses the original usb has a breakable notch in the drivers side corner. I’ll post pictures in a few days. That made it so I retained the factory usb and the run for the CarPlay lightning cable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. The flat plastic piece that houses the original usb has a breakable notch in the drivers side corner. I’ll post pictures in a few days. That made it so I retained the factory usb and the run for the CarPlay lightning cable
Please do help post some photos! I am trying to install this now. This is my first time installing anything in my car and I really need help!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please do help post some photos! I am trying to install this now. This is my first time installing anything in my car and I really need help!
Car is currently at Mercedes. Where are you getting held up?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm. Do you think this will work with an IPhone?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts