Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the illuminated star. Does anyone know if it comes on with the lights automatically or does it have its own independent off and on switch?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Auto…linked to main head light/indicator/running switch

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm interested in the illuminated star. Does anyone know if it comes on with the lights automatically or does it have its own independent off and on switch?
It is independent. It comes on only when the door or trunk is open and the engine is OFF. It is connected to CAN system.
I installed it in my car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I guess I saw a later version as described in this function description>>>

For now (when released in 2013), the emblem lights up under the following scenarios: upon unlocking the car (stays lit for 40 seconds) and when a door is opened (stays lit for up to five minutes). If the car is started or the doors are then closed, it turns off. Later a new version will be available that stays lit when the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for info. So lets say I wanted to turn off the Illuminated Star but still have headlights on. Can this be done?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sure…in that case just install a separate switch (could place in the under part of the dash in easy reach and not seen) for the illuminated star. You can tap into the running lights so when they are on you can switch the star on (or off)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sure…in that case just install a separate switch (could place in the under part of the dash in easy reach and not seen) for the illuminated star. You can tap into the running lights so when they are on you can switch the star on (or off)

It would be possible, but this will be difficult as the star is controlled by CAN wires.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hmmm…. watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTklE6xYlQ

Wiring is 12v and all you would have to do is wire directly to + and - power source and then have a switch on the + side. I guess I am missing something???

·
Registered
143 Posts
if the wiring is 12v it's ok for sure. I have installed Brabus logo last week and it was 110v so I could not connect it out of CAN....

But anyway I guess that original fit is good enough.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just seems like a gimmicky feature. I'm not very impressed by it. Seems like something someone would add after market because they think its cool.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think it was a feature BMW pulled off nicely. That with the diamond grille they offer would make for a great combination for anyone looking to make their MB pop a bit more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some may see it as a gimmick but it does look very nice when lit up at night. Would be cool to see the rest of the star light up too but I wouldn't want that to be the standard.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not the whole grille but the metal parts going horizontal across the grille. If the Mercedes logo and the cross sections were lit up in white that would look pretty nice.
Your example would belong more if the headlights were the same color.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the illuminated star on my 2016 GLA250 4Matic (it was on the build my dealer found for me, not my choice). It stays on when the lights are on and car is running. My husband told me I looked "gangsta"! Nice! (Not really.) There's no switch to turn it on/off, but I think you can physically disconnect the wires or I guess you could install an after market switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We've got it, and it looks super cool! It is very distinctive on the road, understated and classy. We get tons of favorable comments.

Reactions: MBSarah

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mine came with the car-2015 GLA250-was a $550 option. I would have rather had something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Illuminated star not working?

Hi, just purchased a 2015 1st edition with 7k miles. The illuminated star does not seem to be working. Any ideas why? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK, must say I'm a bit confused re this. Picking up my CPO 2015 GLA Tuesday (flying from Orlando Fl to Raleigh NC for it). We were particular in wanting a 2wd, white with beige interior and at least blind spot and rear camera. Well, found one at the Fayetteville NC MB dealer - but had much more packages, which was OK - esp like the brown leather sport seats and poplar trim.
It does have the illum star. Alright, so it was included... But I assumed the star is lit while the headlights are on. But I read about timing after engine start and it's off... not sure what the story really is for a '15. Does the (choke) $550 option (U.S.) really stay on with outside lights? I would hope so...for that price... So looking forward to seeing the vehicle and the 500 mile drive home. Anyone truly in the know?

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
Hope when you arrive the GLA is what you hoped for, good luck and have a safe trip home. 500 mile is a good way to enjoy the GLA. Getting ready to take a 700 one way get away trip after having mine for 1 month, over 10 days will do about 1800 miles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts