Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boris - since you are my appointed Guru for all that is the GLA, maybe you can answer a question for me.

I posted this on another forum, so excuse the repetition. We all seem to lurk on them all! :)

I can't believe I have to ask this, but being a Mercedes, it's inevitable - do the front and rear door lock pins just screw off? I'm interested in replacing the cheap plastic set with a set of stainless steel AMG pins (real or knock-off). Insanely expensive for the real AMG set from MB, but they look infinitely better.

Certain MB models require the door cards be removed to replace the lock pins because the snap on, as opposed to screw on.

You da Man!

Thanks!

Reactions: Boris_Balkan

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Boris - since you are my appointed Guru for all that is the GLA, maybe you can answer a question for me.

I posted this on another forum, so excuse the repetition. We all seem to lurk on them all! :)

I can't believe I have to ask this, but being a Mercedes, it's inevitable - do the front and rear door lock pins just screw off? I'm interested in replacing the cheap plastic set with a set of stainless steel AMG pins (real or knock-off). Insanely expensive for the real AMG set from MB, but they look infinitely better.

Certain MB models require the door cards be removed to replace the lock pins because the snap on, as opposed to screw on.

You da Man!

Thanks!
:D There's no emoji to properly express how honored I am by your post!

Here's the answer via a savvy CLA member
I just changed the door pins for my CLA and the REAR!!!

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
To recapitulate, they do screw off in the CLA, so I'm assuming the GLA is tantamount.

Post pics Gurneyeagle!

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To recapitulate, they do screw off in the CLA, so I'm assuming the GLA is tantamount.

Post pics Gurneyeagle!

Will do. I ordered a set of AMG knock-offs from a seller in CA on eBay. Half the price of the real AMG parts and made out of stainless steel. The CLA and GLA share the same part #.

If they don't work, I'll send them back and get the AMG versions. When I looked at the OEM versions last night in the car, I noticed the mold lines.

Super OCD I know, but they do look cheap. The stainless steel AMG versions just look better.

Link to seller:

Mercedes Benz CLA Class C117 Metal Door Lock Pins CLA 250 CLA 45 AMG USA Seller | eBay

When they come in, I'll post pictures.

The C-Class requires you remove the door card to replace the rear pins. They snap on instaed of screw on. Why?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll be interested once someone confirms they were able to do this with their GLA. I want them to look good but also remain functional. That CLA thread sometimes mentions issues with bein gable to manually open the back doors, with how flush it is.

Can't wait to hear your guy's results...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
122 Posts
All,

Please see my post about my experience with the door pins:
Stainless steel AMG door pins

The short answer is that the CLA and GLA do not appear to have the same rear door setup. While I haven't popped the door panel (yet) the rears do not appear to screw off like the fronts do. I would love someone to prove that theory incorrect as I have two extra tapered, AMG door pins that I could re-use... :)

Once I get around to popping the door panel I will know for sure but suspect that the rear pins are like the C-Class.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have to pop the rear door panel off to replace the rear pins I will have a set (2) of OEM AMG pins for sale at a great price.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not sure if I can get to this today or not. If I can, I'll take some pick and find out for sure whether we can use the tapered long pins or need to short snap on pins. If it is the latter, I'll have a couple extra tapered pins I'll have to off load... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Definitely agree. While popping the panel should be pretty easy it still does not compare to being able to simply twist them off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Updated my original thread. The long tapered pins DO fit the rear of the GLA. I added some pics from behind the door panel for reference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have 2 FRONT pins for sale....LOL

We have a set. How about we trade so we all have what we want?

Mine are new, OEM in the OEM box with no scratches or blemishes.

LMK

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually bought 4 long tapered, screw-on pins and I just bought a pair of short "snap-on" rear pins before I figured out the problem. My 4 tapered pins were used for my GLA. Once I get the two "snap-on" pins I'll have to resell those... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought mine off eBay. Here's the ones I bought. That said it wasn't until after I bought these that I realized they are shipping from Hong Kong...sooo I won't have them in hand for about a month... :)

Other listings can be found here.

Just to re-affirm, you are not buying these for your GLA are you? If you are looking for the GLA pins, you actually want these

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just installed mine; took all of maybe five minutes, but the difference in appearance over the stock plastic pins is amazing.

They just look more upscale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts