Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting experience yesterday. I have the sport package with AMG 5 spoke wheels. Over the weekend, we had a heavy wet 4 inch snowfall with temperature right at 32F. I made a short trip driving through the slush and on returning left my GLA parked in the driveway. (Unfortunately the wife's GLK and my Porsche and '38 Chevy get the garage space.)

Overnight the temperature fell to 15F. Next day I had bad vibration whenever driving faster than 35 MPH. When I got home checked the wheels. Sure enough, there was ice frozen to the inside of the rim on both rear wheels. The ice was only on the part of the rim that was at the bottom when it froze causing the imbalance. Moved my wife's car outside and the GLA inside for a few hours to melt the ice and eliminate vibration.

Hope this was a fluke due to odd wet/freeze weather conditions, not something that happens every time we get a deep snow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had an interesting experience yesterday. I have the sport package with AMG 5 spoke wheels. Over the weekend, we had a heavy wet 4 inch snowfall with temperature right at 32F. I made a short trip driving through the slush and on returning left my GLA parked in the driveway. (Unfortunately the wife's GLK and my Porsche and '38 Chevy get the garage space.)

Overnight the temperature fell to 15F. Next day I had bad vibration whenever driving faster than 35 MPH. When I got home checked the wheels. Sure enough, there was ice frozen to the inside of the rim on both rear wheels. The ice was only on the part of the rim that was at the bottom when it froze causing the imbalance. Moved my wife's car outside and the GLA inside for a few hours to melt the ice and eliminate vibration.

Hope this was a fluke due to odd wet/freeze weather conditions, not something that happens every time we get a deep snow.
We had a decent snowfall in MN the weekend after I got my GLA, so it was off to some industrial parking lots for about a half tank of gas worth of hooning.

Brushed the snow off and didn't think anything of it. Wife takes the GLA the next morning and calls me, PISSED OFF from the side of the freeway. She said as soon as she got over 35 the whole wagon started shaking like crazy and she spent 15 minutes punching snow and ice out of the wheels.

Needless to say, I now make sure my wheels are free of snow/ice before I park after a good lot session, something I've never had to do with previous vehicles I've owned.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If an installer puts 'wheel weights' on your wheels, it is to 'balance' the action that they perform. If you freeze chunks of heavy ice and snow onto your wheel, the same concept applies.(but to a fault) This is not anything new, and can happen to ANY vehicle.

The design of the wheel and the finish of the wheel can make a difference. One reason you don't hear of this often, is that most people avoid puddles, ice etc. when in a standard 'car.' With a CUV/SUV, you are more likely to confidently splash icy puddles and slush. I've had this happen to 4x4's in the past. It can happen in the mud too.

Solution: Unpack the snow and ice from your wheel ;) I wonder if applying a few layers of synthetic wax to the wheel might remedy this as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, this happened with my GLA, yesterday, in Chicago, after our massive 19" snowstorm. I pounded through our unplowed alleys and streets to get to the highway. When I got up to 60mph, the whole thing started vibrating like crazy.

I called the dealer and they said it was probably snow packed in the wheels. Though, when I went to check, after work, everything was clear. But I also didn't have any vibration problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What i do to cancel out weight from ice is to take my vehicle through a car wash which in my area they use hot water, even those coin operated washes that let you wash your vehicle yourself can help.

Then of course you can always park somewhere warm for a while :D

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The odd thing to me was that I've been driving in Indiana for over 40 years. I've owned every type of vehicle including '38 Chevy, '70 Z28 with deep dish 5 spoke Cragars, '66 International Travelall, '75 International Scout, F150 4X4, '70 VW Bug, '11 VW Jetta, and a variety of US minivans and late model US sedans. I've driven all of those cars in every type of winter weather Indiana has to offer, which can include snowfall of 20 inches or more, plus deep snow drifts. This was the first time I ever experienced ice imbalance. Fortunately I knew immediately what it was and that the solution was simple.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The odd thing to me was that I've been driving in Indiana for over 40 years. I've owned every type of vehicle including '38 Chevy, '70 Z28 with deep dish 5 spoke Cragars, '66 International Travelall, '75 International Scout, F150 4X4, '70 VW Bug, '11 VW Jetta, and a variety of US minivans and late model US sedans. I've driven all of those cars in every type of winter weather Indiana has to offer, which can include snowfall of 20 inches or more, plus deep snow drifts. This was the first time I ever experienced ice imbalance. Fortunately I knew immediately what it was and that the solution was simple.
Another snowy MN evening last night meant meeting some friends in a lot to trade wheel time. I forgot to snap a picture but with the 4 of us there (me in the GLA, chevy silverado, subaru wrx, and a 335 xdrive) I had TONS more snow packed in my wheels than they did. To the point there was a perfect groove of the caliper in the snow that was packed in my rim.

It might just be how "open" the wheels are *shrug*?

But - knowing is half the battle :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Another snowy MN evening last night meant meeting some friends in a lot to trade wheel time. I forgot to snap a picture but with the 4 of us there (me in the GLA, chevy silverado, subaru wrx, and a 335 xdrive) I had TONS more snow packed in my wheels than they did. To the point there was a perfect groove of the caliper in the snow that was packed in my rim.

It might just be how "open" the wheels are *shrug*?

But - knowing is half the battle :)
To test that theory, all of you who posted the issue: Which wheels do you all have?

I also wonder if a cost-cutting measure was implemented that increases the surface adhesion on the back of the wheel..?

I have aftermarket painted wheels, and have driven through NASTY un-plowed roads without any balance issues.

Reactions: ZomZom

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the factory 18" twin 5-spoke. These will definitely get a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel guard once it's actually nice enough out to hand-wash.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the problem may be that there is no slope to the inner surface of my 19" AMG wheels. Seriously, it is dead flat across the surface from the spokes to the inside.

If there was, water/slush could run off before it freezes.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I think the problem may be that there is no slope to the inner surface of my 19" AMG wheels. Seriously, it is dead flat across the surface from the spokes to the inside.

If there was, water/slush could run off before it freezes.
The stock 18's for the base model are like that as well. I still need to sell mine.. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts