Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Brian, you need a wrench where the mirror connects to the roof, turn to the right. This will twist the mirror and dislodge it. Putting it back in is the reverse.

See step 5.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
To remove the plastic covers, put your fingers behind the cover closes to the windshield glass and gently pull.

Let me try to get a picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply. I am able now to get the plastic housing from the windshield behind the mirror, but the buttons above the mirror are coming off with it and still attached. Just like in Post # 7 of this thread. Any idea how to pry the 2 plastic covers from each other without damaging them?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply. I am able now to get the plastic housing from the windshield behind the mirror, but the buttons above the mirror are coming off with it and still attached. Just like in Post # 7 of this thread. Any idea how to pry the 2 plastic covers from each other without damaging them?
I never removed the plastic cover for these buttons. Only the cover. I left it dangling, it does not interfere with the install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the cover behind the mirror that is along the windshield is connected to the cover around those buttons. I have 1 side of it disconnected, but the other side won't come loose and I am afraid to force it. Where your covers not connected together?

·
Registered
450 Posts
the cover behind the mirror that is along the windshield is connected to the cover around those buttons. I have 1 side of it disconnected, but the other side won't come loose and I am afraid to force it. Where your covers not connected together?
I see what you mean. It should slide out into 2 pieces. One that covers the rain sensor and the other is more like a frame for the 3 buttons.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hope you managed to separate both. Once you have it off, here is a picture of where you need to place the wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for that picture. I was not able to separate 1 of the clips and didn't want to force it. My mirror and harness are not in yet, but I had a little time to waste and thought I would get a jump start on removing the mirror. For now I just put the covers back into place. In a few days when both the harness and mirror get here, I'll try it once again and see if I can get the 2 pieces to separate. Once I have that it should be a piece of cake. If I have problems I will definitely come back here for more guidance. Thank you for your help so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. Got my homelink mirror and autodim working flawlessly. Finally feels like a proper MBZ now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for that picture. I was not able to separate 1 of the clips and didn't want to force it. My mirror and harness are not in yet, but I had a little time to waste and thought I would get a jump start on removing the mirror. For now I just put the covers back into place. In a few days when both the harness and mirror get here, I'll try it once again and see if I can get the 2 pieces to separate. Once I have that it should be a piece of cake. If I have problems I will definitely come back here for more guidance. Thank you for your help so far.
So there are 2 clips on that piece. One on each side. I saw someone use a fastner removal tool that looked kinda like a wrench. I used a fork that I bent to make it work. You literally just stick it in on each side and that piece should come off. My CLA had this issue so I'm assuming it's the same here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't own a GLA, but I do own a CLA and I used this guide. So far so good. I haven't tested it dimming at night yet, but the compass, garage door opener, and the lights work. Thank you all for the guidance!

Now, someone mentioned something about activation voltages on the CLA forum. Is that an issue y'all came across? One way or another, I'm gonna find out tonight haha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I successfully did the swap to a homelink/auto-dim mirror this weekend. Getting into the overhead unit was a trick, you need more force than you’d think (it‘s spring loaded). I used a plastic spatula to finally get into it. After getting the covers off exposing what you need, just follow the previous posts and it’s really simple.

Auto dim worked right away with a test covering the sensors and I get a response from the led when pressing the home link buttons (although I don’t have a garage to confirm) so pretty sure I don’t need any activation codes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I successfully did the swap to a homelink/auto-dim mirror this weekend. Getting into the overhead unit was a trick, you need more force than you’d think (it‘s spring loaded). I used a plastic spatula to finally get into it. After getting the covers off exposing what you need, just follow the previous posts and it’s really simple.

Auto dim worked right away with a test covering the sensors and I get a response from the led when pressing the home link buttons (although I don’t have a garage to confirm) so pretty sure I don’t need any activation codes.
No activation codes required. For me it works once connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you able to tell me where those clips are? We are having the same issue with removing that piece with the buttons and have to remove it to replace the windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you able to tell me where those clips are? We are having the same issue with removing that piece with the buttons and have to remove it to replace the windshield.
I was able to get the rear ones free, but the front ones wouldn't budge at all. I can see a tiny pin like clip and a hole, but they will not give.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts