Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot seem to find instructions anywhere. How do I take off the chrome strip that connects the taillights? And the strip on the bumper? I would like to vinyl wrap them and I am pretty sure that if I try to do it while they are still on the car, it won't go well.

If anyone knows, I would be grateful if you share the knowledge with us. Thanks!

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
Whereas I always respect your can-do attitude and skill Christine, perhaps similar to the recent "Plasti-Dip" thread you might first want to spray them in place so if you tire of it easy to remove? Not too much work to mask off adjacent areas.

Although somewhat easier to vinyl wrap trim when removed many do so in situ with excellent results. Just need to carefully trim & tuck.

Much of this trim as you know has one time only hardware, for ease of assembly line attachment, and thereby removal is typically my last course of action.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was able to wrap both the top and bottom chrome with a roll of vinyl without removing them. I just took my time and it turned out great. This is the item number on Amazon: B07N6M8WPP
+1

If you really want the sill protector to come off you take off the rear bumper, it’s clipped in.

I’d imagine you have to disassemble the plastic inside the hatch to see if you can get to the back of the hatch trim. Getting the inside handle off is a little bit of a trick, but the rest is pretty straight forward clips if you wish to explore that route.

Any plans for the star? That’s the toughest for the rear IMO

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that backside of the hatch door disassembled when I installed the backup camera and it was a bit of a production that I would prefer not to repeat. In considering Huey52's and Cjdzombie's suggestions, I realize that I should do my best to do the wrap on the car. Even if I wasted some vinyl practicing and practicing to get it right, I would still be out only maybe $15 in material as I journeyed up the learning curve. If I break or bend that trim it will cost a lot more!

I already cracked the star :( trying to remove it. I used 3 of those slim trim-removal wedges and thought I was exerting exactly even pressure from all three sides when...SNAP! one of the tines of the star cracked. So, I pushed it all back on for now and will order a replacement already in black. At least I know I can be rough with it in getting it out because it's already broken. Whoops. Live and learn.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After covering it in orange vinyl in-place (and hating the result), I decided to remove the bumper trim. It certainly wasn't hard to get off and worth removing it for wrapping, should I ever decide to try that again in a better color.

It is attached in many places by little clips that hold it in place into the rectangular holes in the bumper. The teeth in these clips don't go far laterally, so they are willing to let go with some gentle coaxing. It is also held in place by three cylindrical posts which are held in place on the inside of the bumper by three washers with teeth (sorry, I don't know what they're called). These cylindrical posts are on each end and in the middle.

So, I just used two flat trim removal tools to start on one end and pop the trim out slowly moving towards the other side. As those "washers with teeth" gave up their grip on the cylinders, the washers fell to the ground out from under the bumper. Because I was not reinstalling this trim piece I didn't even bother to see how to get them back up in there, but I'm not convinced they'd even be necessary if I were reinstalling this same piece.

Granted, as I got to the end of the trim I was in a hurry and wasn't using my trim removal tool anymore and was just pulling with my hands. I got too much of an angle on it and broke the edge of one of the cylinders/pins off. Totally unnecessary damage, but like I said I wasn't planning to reuse the thing so I was just being impatient. You can certainly remove this whole piece without breaking anything if you keep your angle subtle and use your trim removal tools as they were meant to be used.

I have attached tons of pictures because in my search for how to remove this thing I wasn't able to find many photos. I hope this helps someone if they need it. Have fun!

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Orange Wood
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle
Road surface Wood Asphalt Textile Sleeve
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Wood Yellow Gas Automotive wheel system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts