Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hardest part of the European Delivery program is not deciphering the Italian ZTP system, but waiting on delivery of the car you've already fallen in love with!
I'm waiting on my GLA 250 which is on a boat heading for Baltimore. It's scheduled to arrive on August 5th, but so far I've gotten no real answer from the dealership on when to expect it. What's been your experience with the VPC and trucking time? I'm not having any extras put in there or at the dealer so I'm hoping my car can just zip through. My dealer is in Metro NYC area, so it's just a few hours drive from Maryland. Any guesses? Any real experience? Should we make this like a baby shower and take bets on delivery date and time?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I tracked my GLA45 from build to Bremerhaven (port), across the Atlantic (Marine Vessel Tracker so if you know the name of the vehicle transport vessel just plug into this site https://www.vesselfinder.com ), to the VPC at Brunswick Georgia (this VPC services south eastern US… Baltimore is Mid Atlantic/Northeastern US). Once it was at the VPC it was 3 days before it was on a car transport and less than a day to the dealership in Palm Beach Florida. UNLESS there is a QC hold or some specific issue with a your GLA, 3 days MAX at VPC.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm hoping it gets out of there that quickly!
I've been tracking the boat and it's now off the tracker range until it comes in to view of the East Coast. Still on schedule.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case anyone was wondering... it took a week to get from the boat to picking it up at the dealership. They filled the gas tank, washed it, cleaned the interior and I even got to keep my EU license plates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great. Waiting on mine to come over. Dropped it off in Frankfurt August 14th. From what I can tell it should be in the U.S. Sept 1st. I'm going to try that vessel locator

·
Registered
52 Posts
How'd you guys like doing the European Delivery? I'm about to place an order this week hopefully, and will try to go pick it up in Germany sometime in November. After that, waiting for it to get shipped to the west coast is going to be painful, but it sounds like it didn't take too long for you guys. Did you get the standard 7% discount with the program? Some dealers were telling me the (2016) GLA was only 5%... Either way, any good recommendations once I'm over there?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gla is only 5. I got about 7 going with Herbert. Do it, it's an amazing experience. For me I lived in Europe for 3 years so I was comfortable being over there and stayed with a friend for a good amount. I took my family and it was great ( 2 kids 5 and 1). Honestly I think it's the only way I'll ever pick up a car. If you have any ?'s pm me or add it to this post. Right now my car should be getting loaded on the boat (misread my shipping website). I'll update when I get an eta to the U.S. Super bummed cause I thought it would've here sooner, but it's only been 3 weeks since I dropped it off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How'd you guys like doing the European Delivery?
LOVED IT!!!
Definitely recommend doing European Delivery. Take a whole day for the delivery and do the factory tour, have lunch at their restaurant which is quite good (your dealer should give you a voucher for a free lunch).
We went in late June and had perfect weather for our road trip. The German Alpine Road aka Alpenstrasse was a great route: The German Alpine road or Alpenstrasse | LosApos.com
From there you can easily head to Munich and Salzburg. MB will give you a GPS loaner for your trip if you request one, which I definitely recommend. They'll also make sure you have all the stickers, safety vests, triangles, and permits needed for driving around Germany, but you'll need to buy your own Austrian highway tax sticker at the border if you're heading into Austria. I think it was around $10.
Once your car is broken in, hit the autobahn in the evening when traffic is light to see what it can really do, since you won't have that opportunity to hit speeds like that legally once you're home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts