Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my display on the AMG menu all the time, every day. I track the temps.

Oil temp usually hovers at 212-214F, seems hot. Some days when it is extra hot outside i see it go up to 217 or even 223F. Not often tho.

Water temp stays at 200-210, never boils.

Trans temp is always somewhat lower still.

You guys regularly see your oil temps at or above 220?

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Seems fine. Different car, but I've seen 275 on my 997 running mountain passes on a warm summer day!!!

You want to steam off water that accumulates in the oil.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I also keep it on the temp screen all the time. My 2016 levels off around 200-205 and around 210 when heat soak. Trans usually stay around 160 once warmed up and around 180-200 with spirited drives

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine hover just under 200*F, with trans hovering roughly 15-20* cooler. I've not seen it go over 200, but I wasn't watching in the Swiss passes I did last month (those crazy fools don't believe in guardrails, apparently!).

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
Note: The cooling system is under something around 15 lbs of pressure which raises the boiling point to around 250 degrees if pure water, with coolant at 44% to boiling point is near 270 degrees. So temp gauge around 200 to 220 you are still below boiling point.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it's helpful. I figure it'll creep up under spirited driving, and just wanted to make sure a baseline of 220+ was normal in stop-and-go-low-RPM traffic.

I'd hate to overheat on a road 2 hours walking from the nearest cellphone tower on my road trip next month.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I keep my display on the AMG menu all the time, every day. I track the temps.

Oil temp usually hovers at 212-214F, seems hot. Some days when it is extra hot outside i see it go up to 217 or even 223F. Not often tho.

Water temp stays at 200-210, never boils.

Trans temp is always somewhat lower still.

You guys regularly see your oil temps at or above 220?

Just another voice, pretty much the same. Once warm here during summer the coolant is usually pretty stable at 199. The oil will vary with my driving, I've seen 207-222, and tranny once warm usually in the 160-180 range.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, update.

lucky me, my oil temp is creeping DOWN. I can barely hold white-state now. On a good day I’m 180, 30+ degrees low.

Not sure the root cause, hoping not a sticky thermostat. Not sure if thermostat heater, sensor issue, bad fuel. Yay.

something new every day!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured it cause already, but not root cause.

Caused by a recirculating blow off valve. That thing effectively bypassed the intercooler, and caused intake temps to rise by 10 degrees. specifically, the lower limit for temps rose 10 degrees. The hottest temps didn't change much, maybe 2 degrees.

Limited dataset.

Not sure how else a BOV could possibly affect oil temp.

Gas mileage was OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts