Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another +1 on the eBay seller from Russia with the dual-strut hood lift kit. Very high quality product, and installation is a snap. Their installation video on YouTube is great (though it looks really cold outside). Note that the bolts are all metric so you'll need metric wrenches or a knuckle buster or vice grips.

I do share fatalus' concern about whether it impacts the pedestrian protection system. Conversely after watching the hood bouncing up and down rather vigorously going only 70mph but directly into prevailing wind (I-10 w/b in western AZ), some stability would be welcome and I hope the struts add it.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
The struts are excellent. I didn't like the supplied washers for the front bolts on the front mounting brackets. I substituted fender washers instead. Not a big deal.

I don't expect any less hood vibration at speed since the first foot or so of opening has little force up or down. The up force then gets big until a half foot before full open is reached where it dampens out wonderfully. Truly done right.

·
Registered
MY18 GLA 220d, MY 18 GLA 250 4matic edition 1.
181 Posts
The struts are excellent. I didn't like the supplied washers for the front bolts on the front mounting brackets. I substituted fender washers instead. Not a big deal.

I don't expect any less hood vibration at speed since the first foot or so of opening has little force up or down. The up force then gets big until a half foot before full open is reached where it dampens out wonderfully. Truly done right.
Cool. Now I have the car they will be the first thing I order.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Conversely after watching the hood bouncing up and down rather vigorously going only 70mph but directly into prevailing wind (I-10 w/b in western AZ), some stability would be welcome and I hope the struts add it.
Westbound you probably had headwinds, making your effective speed greater. On the Autobahn we found the hood started vibrating at a bit over 130mph. Traffic precluded exceeding 140, but the vibration showed no inclination toward slowing down. I suspect it was air escaping. The best bet for reducing this might be the hood insulation others have installed. This might impair the air from taking this route. I'm not sure what it might do for trapping heat at the top of the motor, but it has been reported that it keeps the paint cooler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed the Russian ones. Seems fairly solid product. Easy to install only need 10mm socket, 12mm & 13mm wrenches and about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can confirm Wayne is right. ~130 effective vs wind will bring the vibrating hood. It's not increased by speeds past that (can only confirm to 158mph w/unknown wind). I can attest to many trips over the 130 point and no issues yet with increasing "flappy-ness".

41 - 47 of 47 Posts