355 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nice mods!

Am waiting for my hood struts to arrive! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Really nice and cheap hood struts. I just have some concerns whether they interfere with the active bonnet pedestrian protection system.

·
Registered
MY18 GLA 220d, MY 18 GLA 250 4matic edition 1.
181 Posts
Did you have to buy 2 x hood struts or does the package come as a pair?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Goh ,
I'm also looking for the hood insulation like yours and also the struts , you don't mind sharing it to where to buy those items please.

Cheers
Ceasar

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hood gas struts

Here is where I got mine from - from a eBay seller from Russia: New GLA X156 Strut Shock Lift Support Gas Hood Damper Kit No drilling

Very high tensile strength fittings; very well dampened high pressure cartridges and of excellent fit. I must admit that Russian metallurgy is of much higher quality than the Chinese. It is almost par with the best of Swedish/German/Czechoslovakian steel products.

The hood latches with a re-assuring thump, and opens with a loud click. Very satisfied !!!

PS: I sprayed the black fittings to match my car color.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hood insulation ...

no worries...

just put up my new heat shield for hoot, plus a few minor aesthetics mods :)
I was able to source an OEM hood insulation from a supplier of collision parts, by furnishing a VIN for a CLA in lieu of a GLA. In the US market the GLA does not come with hood insulation, but CLA does and also the AMG45 models.

The pad fits well under the hood, but the holes DO NOT match. I also got OEM insulation fasteners from eBay.

Does anyone have suggestion how to punch new holes on the pad to match the holes from the GLA hood ??? I was thinking in creating a paper pattern from the actual pad, then pasting to the underside of the hood and then making the holes, and then transferring to the pad.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Ordered. Seems like a ridiculous thing to worry about ... saving the trouble of placing a support rod. But on other cars I lift the hood once every 5K miles to change the oil. With Black paint, I lift the hood weekly to dry the engine bay after washing!!! Also, my rod doesn't go in and out of its plastic holder very well. I also like the symmetry of supporting the hood from both sides.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
no worries...

just put up my new heat shield for hoot, plus a few minor aesthetics mods
I was able to source an OEM hood insulation from a supplier of collision parts, by furnishing a VIN for a CLA in lieu of a GLA. In the US market the GLA does not come with hood insulation, but CLA does and also the AMG45 models.

Pam's 45 does not have hood insulation. I believe this is simply a cost savings / model limiting / weight savings on the part of MB, but it could also be to allow more heat removal. Let us know if you see any temperature changes. Or noise reduction. Or less hood vibration at high speeds.

The paper model seems like a good approach.

·
Registered
MY18 GLA 220d, MY 18 GLA 250 4matic edition 1.
181 Posts

The pad fits well under the hood, but the holes DO NOT match. I also got OEM insulation fasteners from eBay.

Does anyone have suggestion how to punch new holes on the pad to match the holes from the GLA hood ??? I was thinking in creating a paper pattern from the actual pad, then pasting to the underside of the hood and then making the holes, and then transferring to the pad.
Can you supply the part number for the hood insulation(even tho it is for the CLA)and the insulation fasteners or the link to the ebay site.

I also think the paper pattern is the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an extra hood strut available and will sell for my cost + shipping....if there is no interest I will post on Kijiji here in Canada....please see my previous post for my cost on the strut.....thanks all
Im interested if you still have one and unfortunately still cant send a pm, **** 15 post count.
Is there any other way that I can send private message to you?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hood Insulation for CLA

Can you supply the part number for the hood insulation(even tho it is for the CLA)and the insulation fasteners or the link to the ebay site.
The OEM hood insulation for CLA is 1176820026.

The fasteners I ordered from eBay, the Mercedes parts number is 001-988-03-25.

I was able to match the center hole of the pad to be the exactly the same center hole of the hood. So, I will start with this "center" hole, and very carefully punch other holes with a sharp drill bit or nail, then enlarge big enough to pass through the fastener ... I will post my accomplishments then ...

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
I believe this is simply a cost savings / model limiting / weight savings on the part of MB, but it could also be to allow more heat removal. Let us know if you see any temperature changes. Or noise reduction. Or less hood vibration at high speeds.
My take on this is not with respect to the engine operating temperature, nor engine compartment ambient temperature, nor noise ... but to protect the shine of the hood paint.

The engine operating temperature is regulated by its thermostat, there is noise abatement already installed look at the inner engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you and I too am concerned about the long term affect of heat on the paint, especially around town where air flow through the engine bay will be minimal.

That being said, from 130 mph up my experience is that the hood vibrates as the air struggles to get out from under the hood and past the windshield.

I've come to believe nothing happens on a Mercedes that wasn't planned. So I am concerned about anything that might impede that air flow. My dealer shares my concern.

I look forward to hearing your observations. Where would we be without any experiment or two?!?! Personally, I am hoping that you are elated. 8)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you and I too am concerned about the long term affect of heat on the paint, especially around town where air flow through the engine bay will be minimal.
The lack of hood insulation pad became a very "heated" discussion for the BMW E93 series (328i) owners forum which I had participated. For whatever reasons, the MY 2009 328i (e93 series) sold in US market was devoid of hood insulation, but the same series engine (N051 family) sold elsewhere had the hood pad. It was widely sold on eBay and almost everyone on that forum had ordered one. The fit was exact, no modification of any sort was needed, kit included OEM fasteners.

The main objective from forum's members were to preserve the shine on the hood paint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The OEM hood insulation for CLA is 1176820026.

The fasteners I ordered from eBay, the Mercedes parts number is 001-988-03-25.

I was able to match the center hole of the pad to be the exactly the same center hole of the hood. So, I will start with this "center" hole, and very carefully punch other holes with a sharp drill bit or nail, then enlarge big enough to pass through the fastener ... I will post my accomplishments then ...
Thanks for posting details on this. I wonder if the QX30 comes with a hood liner? If so, being that our GLAs are so similar, I wonder if it'll fit?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts